85th percentile speed enforcement -- how it SHOULD be done! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
knightm3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1861
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 knightm3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
85th percentile speed enforcement -- how it SHOULD be done!

I'm making yet another thread-based post containing more research I've done, this one based on speed limits and speed enforcement in general. This post here between Infra and Sunshine illustrates the point very well.

I'll quote the article to start it off -- it's a good read:

Quote:
Speed limits should represent the maximum safe and reasonable speed on a highway during good traffic and roadway conditions capable of being traveled by the normally competent vehicle operator in a typical motor vehicle. Traffic engineering studies have found that the best way to ascertain the appropriate speed limit is to survey the speeds of free flowing traffic. The speed at which 85% to 90% of the vehicles are traveling at or below has generally been determined to be a limit which minimizes accident risk and maximizes motorist compliance. It blends an optimum combination of efficiency, consensus, enforceability, and safety.

Current statutorily assigned speed limits are characteristically inflexible and based on general approximations or political considerations. The result is that speed limits have become largely irrelevant as a source of guidance to motorists and impractical as a threshold for enforcement purposes.
http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/nma-zone.html

All that being said, who here thinks speed limits are reasonable as they are?

"Ten-Pointer" body kit, including:
Bambi Fender Relocation Mod
Bambi Bumper Separation Mod
Bambi Foglight Realignment Mod
Deer-sensing, laser-guided beam cannon [sold separately]
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
awebb
Focus Addict

Fan#: 259
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 1 awebb Good Standing Member
I'm sure that depends on where you live. I'm originally from Minnesota, and the speed limits are generally higher there. The limit on freeways in Iowa is 65, and in Minnesota, it is 70. Personally, I think most people can handle driving faster than 70 on the interstate. There are, however, people that shouldn't be allowed on the road at any speed. Overall, I think the speed limits are fairly reasonable. Could they probably stand to be a little higher, yes. Would it be worth it to be able to 80 on the interstate if people would abuse that even more and possibly cause more accidents, no. If you followed what is said in the article about how fast 85 - 90% of the people are going around here, you would probably end up with speed limits of about 75 - 80.

Speed: AEM Short Ram Intake, Focus Central Race Header, Custom 2.25" Header-Back Exhaust.

Looks: Red Shorty Antenna, Superblue headlights.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Speed limits vary here. Some areas on the interstate are 70, some are 65, 60 and 55. Depending upon the area. I will say that very few people follow the speed limits when going with the flow of traffic here. Those that do are in the very far right lane. With that said I believe the speed limits are fairly reasonable. Making them higher would only cause a increase in speeding. I believe.

As a driver how many times to you pay attention to the speed limit signs? I dont know about you all but it took me some time making this a habit. lol

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 01-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '13 Taffeta White Civic Si Sedan

Points 184,642, Level 100
Points: 184,642, Level: 100 Points: 184,642, Level: 100 Points: 184,642, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
I think the speed limits around my area should be raised a little. But it doesn't matter cause half the people never do the speed limit or over around here. It's always 10 mph or more under. So you see, I will never get a speeding ticket for following these people....
Old 01-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Washington state:
Maximum highway limit: 60
Rural highway: 70

Go south of the Washington border and..

Oregon state:
Maximum highway limit: 55
Rural highway: 65
Old 01-17-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by ibiblio
Exceeding statutory or posted speed limits are prima facie evidence of illegal speeding. Evidence entered on the defendant's behalf that proves to the court the defendant was not driving in an unsafe or irresponsible manner shall be considered a valid defense to justify dismissal of the speeding charge.
Does this mean that I can go to court & say "I have a sports car that handles & brakes well." & get out of a ticket?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
J300ZTT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2386
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver Focus SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 J300ZTT Good Standing Member
Most cops on the higways in my experience don't enforce speed limits of 55-65 near as harshly, b/c they know that 90% of the people are going with the flow of traffic. Hence 70-75 is allowed. Except end of the month quota time
!!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:06 AM   #8
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
if people took pride in there driving, and followed all the other traffic laws, like not hanging in the left lane, proper use of signals, not crossing the gore to enter the hiway, and things like that, then the speed limit could be raised safely. Most people drive at the speed they are comfortable with. Just a few idiots who have to go 20 mph faster than every one else that causes problems. Personally I think the law should start ticketing other driving infractions that are far more dangerous than speeding. (speeding as in faster than posted, but safe with the traffic around them)
ST crew #18
Old 01-18-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Kyllgore
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1506
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 MTX pitch black,

FF Reputation: 1 Kyllgore Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
End of month quota time¿ People still believe these¿ I know many officers and have asked about this, they are all big city police, the little commonwealth "sub-cities" within San Antonio, they might have quotas, but they pull people over just for looking like they are on the wrong side of town, those tickets usually defered adjudication will be allowed, these small towns just want money, watch out for little town end of the months but I haven't heard confirmation from any police where I am, maybe they are lying to me....BASTARDS....I drive about 70, but
speed limits are almost all 65, till you get downtown....In bigger cities it's easier to get away even if you get a ticket....small towns you worry about....
Old 01-19-2004, 06:10 AM   #10
knightm3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1861
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 knightm3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
if people took pride in there driving, and followed all the other traffic laws, like not hanging in the left lane, proper use of signals, not crossing the gore to enter the hiway, and things like that, then the speed limit could be raised safely. Most people drive at the speed they are comfortable with. Just a few idiots who have to go 20 mph faster than every one else that causes problems. Personally I think the law should start ticketing other driving infractions that are far more dangerous than speeding. (speeding as in faster than posted, but safe with the traffic around them)
Exactly!

"Ten-Pointer" body kit, including:
Bambi Fender Relocation Mod
Bambi Bumper Separation Mod
Bambi Foglight Realignment Mod
Deer-sensing, laser-guided beam cannon [sold separately]

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.