Gear Linkage - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
Portuga
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22452
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Portuga Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Gear Linkage

My rear gears (2,4,6) are very hard to get right , i have to really pull on the shifter to make sure it is in. :(
How can i access the linkage rods under the car to see if there is something wrong with it.
Are they easy to access?
Anyone know what else it can be?
All front gears (R,1,3,5) work great.
Is it still under the powertrain warranty (51k) , considering i am the 3rd owner of this car?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #2
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"Is it still under the powertrain warranty (51k) , considering i am the 3rd owner of this car?"

Not sure, but I believe the powertrain warranty for you at this point in time and mileage probably has a hefty deductable and may exclude ancillary parts such as the shifter and linkage.

You might want to got to http://myford.fordvehicles.com and register with your VIN. You may be able to get some warranty info there once you are registered. If not, you need to call a Ford dealer to get definitive answers to the warranty coverage. Have you VIN handy as that is the key to most of what Ford does in terms of warranty work.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Unless the original purchaser got the extended warranty and transferred it, you're out of luck.
All 2002 and most 2003 models only had 3/36,000.
It wasn't till late 2003 and all 2004 models that the 5/100,000 powertrain warranty was initiated.

IIRC, myfordfocus.com has the shifter cable adjustment procedure posted on their site.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
Portuga
Focus Enthusiast

Couldn't find that guide anywhere. :(
Any chances of a link?
Many thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm mega busy for the next month, so my reponses may be a little slow at times.

About the only thing I can find at the moment:

Quote:
TSB 04-21-5

Difficulty Changing Gears - Unable To Engage Gears

2000-2005 Focus

Issue
Some 2000-2005 Focus vehicles, equipped with manual transmissions, may exhibit difficulty in changing gears, or an inability to engage certain gears.

Action
Check for proper adjustment of gearshift cables and attachment of the cables to the bracket (located under the battery tray area). If the cable(s) are detached from the bracket, reattatch and lock in place per procedure in Workshop Manual Section 308-06. If the cable(s) are still attached, perform gearshift cable adjustment per procedure in Workshop Manual in Section 308-00. DO NOT replace the shift cable(s) unless there are signs of damage.

Warranty Status
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
Knuckles899
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3229
What I Drive: 2002 1/2 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Knuckles899 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Heres a link for you.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=49

Ive tried this more than a few times and have not been able to make it work but i quess its suppose to. Or i didnt notice that it worked, but anyhow let us know how it goes.

Brandon.
MODS: FR head milled .040, Ported 2000 intake manifold, FR stage 2 cams, Nitrous Express wet kit with bottle heater, Esslinger cam gears, SCT Xcalibrator 2 self flasher( Mcnews automotive ), Obx 4-2-1 header, Bosal flex pipe, Borla 2.5 catback w/ Vibrant resonator, Steeda high flow fuel rail, VF engineering motor mounts, Screemin demon coil pack w/ wires, Ported throttle body, Custom short tube intake, Custom Grounding kit, Short throw shifter, Eibach sportline springs and struts, falken ziex tires, Rear seat deleted. = one bad motha fucca
Old 08-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Portuga
Focus Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Nice!
Thanks guys!
I'll let you know of any improvements or further damages that may occur after i try to adjust it.
That real picture shot of the linkage is good to compare if mine has any damage to it.
Thats some great info!

Bookmarks & Social Networks