Write-up: How to determine approx. HP gains from removing weight! - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #31
W~Phoenix~{RC}
FF Bouncer

Fan#: 11450
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost Sport Edition ATX

FF Reputation: 1 W~Phoenix~{RC} Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Wow, this has probably been the most informative thread I have ever read on this site. I think it should be a sticky

Very interesting information here indeed. I've learned a lot from this post!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #32
archie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9921
What I Drive: 2008 Lexus IS-F

FF Reputation: 1 archie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i didnt read the whole forum i just adding this. sorry if its already been said.

in theory to notice a larger amount of gain by dropping weight you would already have to have few poneys under the hood.

1- 130hp focus weighs 2500lbs. ~19.2 lbs / 1 hp. you drop 200 lbs you would be gaining what is so called ~10.4 hp.

2- 250hp focus weighs 2500lbs. 10lbs / 1 hp. you drop the same 200 lbs you would be gaining what is so called 20 hp.

these calculations were done without repluging the numbers for every lb. but the theory is stating to really notice a gain by reducing weight you must already have a weight/hp ratio close to 1. sorry i know i just repeating what has already been posted.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #33
archie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9921
What I Drive: 2008 Lexus IS-F

FF Reputation: 1 archie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
so in theory in order for the dropping of weight to be benefical you need to build your engine.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #34
Taiden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26198
What I Drive: 94 Grand Cherokee 55k mi, standard

FF Reputation: 1 Taiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You get more out of your weight dropping by adding horsepower, yes. It's all relative, since you aren't actually "adding" horsepower when weight is removed. These equations tell you how much horsepower it would "feel" like. Your second example would feel like you had added 20 hp, and your quarter mile times would reflect you "adding" 20 hp, if that makes sense!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #35
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
2005 Focus holds 14 gallons gas. Gasoline's density is about .75 give or take. Having just two gallons left at the strip would save you 75 lbs.

If you're a fatass who is 100 lbs overweight, becoming fit and running 1/4 mile with just two gallons left would easily give you a weight reduction of 175 lbs :)
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #36
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by archie
so in theory in order for the dropping of weight to be benefical you need to build your engine.
No, this just means that any HP increase is going to have a more telling effect on a lighter car than on a heavier car. It's just Power/Weight Ratio.

Each horsepower does the exact same level of work. Lessening the resistance to that work in any way is going to make each HP more effective. IE, bumping the BHP by +20 on a 4500lb SUV will have fairly subtle results whereas an extra 20 BHP on a sub 2000lb Lotus Elise will make an immediately noticeable difference.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...

Last edited by Carrera26; 09-30-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #37
ILLchyld
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28203
What I Drive: 2002 blue svt soon

FF Reputation: 1 ILLchyld Good Standing Member
I'm new to this forum so bear with me here, and dont flame me too badly if I say somthing dumb.

Instead of using a weight to HP change why not use a weight to ET change.

I have always understood the rule of thumb is 100lbs unsprung = 1/10th in the 1/4 also, 10 hp = 1/10th in the 1/4 at least in the beginning, there is obviously a point of diminishing return.

So, say my Focus runs an avg. et. of 16.7 If I can drop 100 lbs I will drop my avg et to 16.6

|disclaimer, I have only had my focus for 2 days. I have never taken it to a track. I dont know how well this applies to it. I can't remember where I got that rule of thumb from, but a lot of the people I have talked to agree, its a good rule of thumb to follow.

100lbs=1/10th
10hp=1/10th

I have only seen this applied to heavy, large displacement cars, so feel free to flame me if I'm off my rocker here.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:12 AM   #38
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Weight <---> HP is better I think because many of us don't drag race (AutoXers, Road Racers) so an ET change really doesn't make any difference to us.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 10-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #39
ILLchyld
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28203
What I Drive: 2002 blue svt soon

FF Reputation: 1 ILLchyld Good Standing Member
You are correct, but I digress. Weight-et is a more accurate method of measurement compared to weight-hp. The effects of lighter weight are immeasureable in a road course or autocross enivronment, better traction, braking, lower center of gravity, acceleration. Only one of which is related to horsepower.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:02 PM   #40
wayne newton

Fan#: 26959
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 wayne newton Good Standing Member
if the driver looses 20lbs, i guess that also counts... god i gotta start running more.

Bookmarks & Social Networks