Write-up: How to determine approx. HP gains from removing weight! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #21
Taiden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26198
What I Drive: 94 Grand Cherokee 55k mi, standard

FF Reputation: 1 Taiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by fokuzx3
did i do something wrong?

The Corral - Horsepower Estimator

Your trapspeed was 90 miles per hour
and your vehicle weight was 2798 pounds.

You are making 223203 hp.

That's funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2005, 03:50 PM   #22
SVTkonig
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18768
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT 2 door

FF Reputation: 1 SVTkonig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
rotational mass of the wheels only matters for the front two wheels. the rear wheels are considered sprung mass because they're just along for the ride so to speak. sprung mass is silly for the quarter mile unless you're talking hundreths of a second.

Here's what mommy should have told you to do when you downshift:
1. Step on the clutch
2. Simultaneously slide the shifter into a lower gear and give the throttle a quick, amazingly precise jab to rev the engine to exactly the rpm it needs to be at in the next gear
3. Quickly let out the clutch

Oh sure, It takes a few thousand tries before you get the timing and precision of your jab just right, but the reward is that you no longer suck.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #23
Taiden
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTkonig
rotational mass of the wheels only matters for the front two wheels. the rear wheels are considered sprung mass because they're just along for the ride so to speak. sprung mass is silly for the quarter mile unless you're talking hundreths of a second.
Hmm. The front wheels and the rear wheels are technically connected through the road surface, so I would say rear wheels are considered unsprung mass unless this has already been established elsewhere.

Ideas?
Old 08-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #24
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Considering straight-line acceleration you are still working with the rotational inertia of the rear wheels, even though they are not powered. It would be like dragging a large hoop. The heavier one would still be harder to get moving and accelerate with than a lighter one of the same dimension.

It makes MUCH less difference on the undriven wheels than on the driven wheels in this scenario, but it still applies full force for braking and handling situations.

Also, the test vehicle that yielded the ratio was a 2wd vehicle, so the 3:1 ratio still applies regardless.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 08-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #25
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
To call it "hp gain equivalent" is incorrect scientifically and in real life overall performance.

The specific weight is decreased as a function of Δm where power is a constant.
ΔV/Δt is all about specific power, but not so for top speed. Weight is a factor because rolling resistance is a constant x load, but when it comes to top speed, rolling resistance is a distant second to air drag, so reduction in weight to yield specific power comparable to increasing 25hp will not get you the top speed of 25 real hp gain.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #26
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTkonig
You're wrong. Anything that must be spun up is a rotation mass(flywheel, brake rotors, transmission parts etc). The way mass is distributed matters as well, because it affects rotational momentum.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #27
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrera26
I've heard that you can make 223203 BHP with this chip you can get off of Ebay...
hp applies to braking too. Horsepower is basically drag + change in kinetic energy over time.

When you crash into a tree, an instantaneous rate of acceleration of -490m/s^2 is possible for a very short amount of time and the "peak" hp can easily be 10,000 hp ;)
Old 08-12-2005, 10:39 PM   #28
Taiden
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by itsme
To call it "hp gain equivalent" is incorrect scientifically and in real life overall performance.

The specific weight is decreased as a function of Δm where power is a constant.
ΔV/Δt is all about specific power, but not so for top speed. Weight is a factor because rolling resistance is a constant x load, but when it comes to top speed, rolling resistance is a distant second to air drag, so reduction in weight to yield specific power comparable to increasing 25hp will not get you the top speed of 25 real hp gain.
I'm going to say that this isn't applicable, because top speed isn't concerned, only top acceleration. Top speed is mostly effected by an unflashed ECU, so I don't understand why it would be discussed in the first place.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:23 AM   #29
Karniv04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20353
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT Coupe

FF Reputation: 2 Karniv04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Unrotational sprung weight mass equivalent to the ratio of 312:42139 is applicable to the gains of non horsepower drivetrain increase. Now when you take a look at the acceleration equation of 12^mn-bc/3 you can see the results between the differential locations of non powered flywheel. Who knows what capable?

R.I.P. 2005 Liquid Grey ST
Old 08-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #30
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
All weight loss gets progressively less important as speed increases though. The increase of performance is directly related to the rate of acceleration. So in 1st gear, say, the improvement is going to be the most prevalent, because the rate of acceleration is the highest. It will drop seriously in each higher gear.

Like with a flywheel, accelerating it from 1000 to 7000 rpm in 3 seconds in 1st gear is going to show much more effect than the acceleration from 5000 to 7000 RPM in 4 seconds in 2nd gear.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->