Weird Problem..... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Focus-Power Tuning

Focus-Power Tuning Discuss about forced induction upgrades and performance tuning for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: Focus-Power

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Lightbulb Weird Problem.....

I was on my way to a car wash yesterday, I was driving down the highway (about 10 miles) came to a redlight and stopped. The light turns green I go to pullout and it bogs, doesn't want to take gas and the EGT's go high FAST just like I was dumping raw gas down the turbo manifold. I get it to pull out and immediatly pull into a parking lot, first thing that crossed my mind was "the DAMN intake cracked again"

I check it and it seems OK. I turn off the car and restart it still has the same problem, I let it run and get out and start looking. I rev it up a couple of times and it revs really rough, backfires a couple of times, tries to die, you know the routine.

So I turn it off and start checking plug connections since I had most of it out last week to install the intake again. Everything seems to be fine, Before I start it I plug in my Predator to check the codes (CEL came on) the Predator says "no codes found" but yet there IS a CEL. I go ahead and clear it anyways, start it up and it runs just FINE.

I put around 20 more miles on it without ANY problems at all, just like it never happened.

Well, on the way to the Ford dealership today it did it TWO MORE TIMES

I knew it wasn't the Manifold because it still tried to make boost even with it backfiring. It finally cleared up enough to drive it the rest of the way to Ford, I got there and picked up the Cam Position Sensor and installed it in their parking lot..... WITH THEIR TOOLS

I put another 80 miles or so on it and I have had ZERO CEL's, I had been getting one almost everytime I drove it. It even feels STRONGER when driving it, before I would hit the gas and it would make 13psi and hold (turned it down to 13psi for daily driving) now you hit the gas and it spools soooo fast it spikes straight to 15psi then comes back down to 13psi.

I thought it was odd that a CPS would change the feel of the car THAT much, and increasing the spool up???? All I can figure is its running more effeciently????

Any guesses

2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the computer relies on the cam and crank position sensors to determine when to fire the spark plugs. if the CPS was dead, then the engine would've automatically pulled timing to lower the risk of preignition. now that it's working right, the timing is going back in, and generating more power. now correct me if I'm wrong...but weren't you messing around with the J&S or whatever that is and accidentally started messing with the cam sensor wiring instead of the knock sensor wiring???
Old 08-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sorta, I also hit it with a wrench a couple of times too
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 08-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well...I think we know what the source of the CPS failure is....

anyway, good to know it's working great now with the new sensor installed. now that it's able to spark properly, it's generating more load, thus producing more exhaust and developing boost more quickly. enjoy it while you can...cuz soon you're gonna want more (already you want more)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->