manual transmission operation? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
kevincasey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 187
What I Drive: 2000 focus se

FF Reputation: 1 kevincasey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
manual transmission operation?

okay, this may sound entirely stupid but it's not something that i ever paid attention to...

i've got a manual transmission. when the car is off (no key in the ignition), not moving and on level ground, should i be able to freely shift between gears without depressing the clutch?

if i'm sitting in the car, not touching anything, should i be able to slide from first through fifth with no resistance?

i ask because i was recently in a crash and my insurance company says that's normal. it's not something that i've ever noticed, and it doesn't seem like it should happen.

thanks,
kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 09:43 AM   #2
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I don't think so. Same with me, I never tried.

Actually, I think I did once, and had to push the clutch in. I see it as, if the gears aren't in sync, then it won't engage. I guess its possible that when all the gears stopped, they just happened to be aligned.

I'm just guessing.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 09-12-2003, 09:59 AM   #3
GonFishin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
This actually can happen sometimes, but not always. If it happens all the time, then I don't know what's up with it, but occasionally is normal.

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq
Old 09-12-2003, 10:06 AM   #4
ZTSRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 536
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 ZTSRacer Good Standing Member
I would go to another car shop and get it checked out with a second opinion, nothing wrong with extra opinions on your car to make sure it is working right, rather find out the for sure problem other than the half truth.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #5
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
like was said.. if every thing is lined up properly, it will shift like that... does it shift smooth, and every gear work when your driving? If so I wouldn't worry about it. If it was damaged in an accident, you would know. damage from an accident wouldn't make it shift smooth in neutral and engine stopped.
ST crew #18
Old 09-12-2003, 11:41 AM   #6
sydneyzetec
fOCUS Zetec 2.0

Fan#: 365
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Zetec - Machine Silver - 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 sydneyzetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It is COMPLETELY normal. I've owned 2 manual cars and both have done it freely when stopped. My current 2002 Focus Zetec (Zx3) does it, I was actually playing with it tonight doing EXACTLY this and there's 100% proof for ya that it's normal!! Your insurance company was right, no need to get it checked out and certainly no need to worry.

It's not recommended that you do it all the time naturally as your synchros aren't workin and you can wear out the gears a little playing around heaps but most certainly you can do it. occasioanlly it will be a little stiff because gears aren't lined up properly when you do it but I assure you, don't worry!!!!

Don't waste the time and money, especially if it drives normal too. there's nothing wrong.
2002 Machine Silver Zetec 2.0L, Manual 3 door, ST170 Suspension, 17" ST170 Wheels, ST170 front grille, ST170 interior handles, Genuine Ford Alloy & Leather Gearknob & Handbrake, ST170 clear side indicators, Electric Blue Zetec floor mats
Old 09-12-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
sydneyzetec
fOCUS Zetec 2.0

Fan#: 365
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Zetec - Machine Silver - 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 sydneyzetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
and in case you're wondering why the hell i was playing with it!! I was helping some mates move house and i sat in the passenger seat and started changing gears like a European/US left hand drive car. We have RHD here in Australia and as I learnt on a LHD manual in Belgium, I wanted to see how it felt from the proper side!! Must say I prefer LHD to RHD, but not much I can do about it!!! So much more sense to have 1st, 2nd and all the most used gears closest to you when you sit on the left rather then furthest away when you're at RHD. Not that it changes much and it isn't any worse to drive, just not as "convenient" for want of a better word, it just makes more sense to push gears away when accelerating than pulling them towards you!!! Who cares, I can do both!!!
2002 Machine Silver Zetec 2.0L, Manual 3 door, ST170 Suspension, 17" ST170 Wheels, ST170 front grille, ST170 interior handles, Genuine Ford Alloy & Leather Gearknob & Handbrake, ST170 clear side indicators, Electric Blue Zetec floor mats
Old 09-12-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
geekspeed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 689
What I Drive: 2001 Silver F-150

FF Reputation: 1 geekspeed Good Standing Member
Being able to put the car in gear when it is not running is normal. It's the last thing I do before I get out every time.

clutch & brake in, shift to neutral, clutch out, pull parking brake, turn off the car, release foot off brake, put the car in first without depressing clutch

This keeps the car from rolling should the parking brake fail for some reason.

Beetle
Kid Haulin': Dark Grey 2005 Five Hundred Limited AWD
RIP: Silver 2003 SVT Focus 5-door
Old 09-12-2003, 09:03 PM   #9
TheMollusk
Banned

Fan#: 675
FF Reputation: 1 TheMollusk Good Standing Member
hahahahaha!!!
@ kevinkasey.
But yeah. you can move it in and out of gear when engine is off without the clutch.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:53 AM   #10
fociUSA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 251
What I Drive: Liquid Grey ZX3 "03

FF Reputation: 1 fociUSA Good Standing Member
just a little curious, any of you fellas ever tried shiftn with no clutch at all!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->