Top Gear Cheap Porsche Challenge - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #1
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Top Gear Cheap Porsche Challenge

Anyone catch that on Top Gear? It's old news to anyone in Top Gear's home viewership area or anyone who gets it via satellite or whatever, but it was new for me. And it was funny as heck! Thank you Discovery Channel for giving us this show! It's so refreshing to see there is still some programming on Discovery that isn't guys bitching about the deadline for getting a custom motorcycle built.

I was rooting for the 928 but it ended up being the clunker of the group and finished the show as a set of living room chairs and a coffee table (seriously!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/series_5/prog_6/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 AM   #2
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Darn it...I missed it. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the 1:00AM show tonight without falling asleep.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
SVT4ME

Yeah it was good television. They also had a bit on the McLaren SLR and the Mercedes G55 AMG.

As you might imagine they couldn't afford much of a Porsche at that price, they ended up with a 924, 944, and a 928. The 928 has always been one of my favorite Porsches even though "purists" don't consider the 924, 944, or 928 to be "real" Porsches. But the 928 Clarkson picked was a disaster: it leaked coolant and gasoline, blew smoke out the exhaust, and eventually died. That's why he sold it for spare parts, and turned the seats into living room recliners and mounted the engine block into a clear-topped coffee table. He didn't make it two miles from the starting point before steam was coming out from under the hood.

They had judges from the Porsche Club of Great Britain "judge" the cars after getting "pimped" on the remains of the money they had to buy each car - the looks on the faces of the judges were priceless, since they were judging the cars from the perspective of proper appearance and functionality as a "stock" car like they would at a concours event. The 924 basically got points for having original warning stickers under the hood.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
MISVTfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
OMG when I saw the Benz, I was shocked, because I have been looking into the new ML350 on a trade in and the benz dealer near me has the ONLY SLR in Michigan, and I saw it in their garage and almost shat myself.

But anyway, yeah that porsche thing was sweet, I was watching and I had some people over and called that Jeremy was going to win for sure because he is the best. I really liked how the 944 looked it was in good shape unitl the oil squirted out.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
Crux
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21068
What I Drive: 2006 HD XL 1200

FF Reputation: 1 Crux Good Standing Member
That was a funny segment.

Also, I was amazed at how visceral that SLR sounded. The super charger whine is spectacular. Not at all what I expected from a Merc.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
It's sitting on my DVR right now... I love that thing.

I also like the fact that they run a hot lap using the same driver on the same course and post the times. Really gives you a bit of perspective on how some of those cars actually perform.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
Lukesky1984
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23340
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Lukesky1984 Good Standing Member
yeah i saw top gear last night ( i from england so it made me feel like i was at home.) is it on every wednesday on discovery, I am so over the west coast crap, all they do is put water fountains in cars.

2003 Oz Rally Lancer (My Girls Ride)
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
SVT4ME

Quote:
Originally posted by Crux
Also, I was amazed at how visceral that SLR sounded. The super charger whine is spectacular. Not at all what I expected from a Merc.
You can say that again! That was awesome! I've seen it in the mags, I even saw one at a car show, but never heard one in action. I was really wishing I had a spare $600,000 or so laying around after that segment.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
Kneel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Top Gear is an awesome show! Just proves it's not so difficult to come up with truly entertaining TV shows, instead of all the staged "reality" shows the networks are obsessed with these days.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #10
SVT4ME

I gotta thank hotfocus for posting about Top Gear when it first came on the Discovery Channel, who knows how long it might have been before I found it myself. His thread was what made me aware it was coming. It's too bad that those of us with plain ol' basic cable miss out on a lot of good programming like this.

Top Gear has a way of making every car sound like it's the greatest car in the world, they even had me interested in the Gelandewagen for a minute there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks