Intake Question - Heat affects - Focusport please comment - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2003, 02:47 AM   #1
pitchblackab
Focus Addict

Fan#: 210
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 power premium auto

FF Reputation: 1 pitchblackab Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Intake Question - Heat affects - Focusport please comment

Okay killing the question taht has been asked a thousand times which is really better.

First lemme post this

On a stock car the intakes made these pwoer increases

Volant +6 hp +2 lbft trq

Iceman +5hp +6 lbft trq

FocusSport +4hp +3.1 lbft trq (according to their site)

The iceman doesnt leave the option for a ram air hood (which i will proly not buy, and doesnt really affect the power till about 70mph on the mach one mustang mayeb a littl eless for a car with the filter right under the hole) Plus the panel proly wont flow as much as a cone which is why everyone uses a cone filter.

The focus sport has the better filter because it breaths in through all sides even the front so when the motor does need more air it can pull more, but you will have to rig up a second snorkel just to get airflow to it. Plus the heat shield is actually metal so it would eventually heat up more than the one on the Volant.

The Volant is down on torque to the other two but according to a few on the forum the power is more consistent. But it also makes less power so if the others if the focus sport loses power it makes less than the volant but the iceman makes a lot more torque plus it is also in a box so it wont lose much if any power.

A lot of people will say price is the determining factor but ..

Focusport is cheaper in general but its hard to get a sale on it so it stays at 200

Volant is really expensive but can be gotten for as low as 180

Icaman I havent seen cheaper than 200 but with the amount sold im sure there are some sales.

So ..... still where i started this sucks big ones .....

one ither question though which one of these can i put a larger maf and tb in sorry only info i couldnt find....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Can you direct me to the website or store that sells a Volant for $180
I haven't seen it any cheaper than $249.

http://www.newedgeperformance.com/airintakes.html

Also, from what people have posted on this website, the Iceman has it's HP/TQ
increases in the low end of the RPM's and the Volant has it's power in the high
RPM's. Maybe some can post a dyno chart that shows a Focus with an Iceman intake and one with a Volant intake to clarify the HP/TQ gains through the RPM power band.
I'll see if I can find the post discussing this issue.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Here an old post discussing the Volant and other intakes. It gets pretty heated when the guy at FocusSport gets in to the discussion.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum_a...TOPIC_ID=11594
Old 09-12-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
pitchblackab
Focus Addict

I cant tell you where i foung the volant for that price then I would ruin it for everyone, who would ask the person for it afterwards, it is a hook-up and i don't rezlly know the person that well.

Yeah i got those power gains from a thread kickin has said, kickin you have the charts for the volant and iceman ?

Focus sports intake is good i am not gonna say other wise like is said before when more air was needed the ITG filter stepped up in their dyno charts on a stock car it made the above gains. On a modified it made even more because the modded engien needed more air.

And they have the dyno charts on their page to show how much and where the power was mad, unlike some other companies that say you will gain 18 hp from the thing but fails to mention you car should be putting out 180 to 200hp to see a gain that large.

I am saying this now becuase on that other thread that is linked I was on focussports ass about it just being a filter and couldnt (still can't see why just the filter costs so much) Im gonna maybe look for ITGs site or phone number to see how much their filters cost. Even though im sure focussport gets it way cheaper than we can because they buy in bulk.

Last edited by pitchblackab; 09-12-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
PizZel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 488
What I Drive: Turbo'd 03 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 PizZel Good Standing Member
lol. I got my Volant for FREE!! My wife works for a wheel and performance shop. (also got my chip, tires, exaust, wires, and some other stuff). Had to pay cost for my wheels tho. Oh well cant get everything for free!

"Always do sober what you said you‘d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Old 09-12-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
pitchblackab
Focus Addict

You lucky lucky man, plus your wife works for a wheel and performance shop so I assuming she is into cars ? IF she is your even luckier.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:28 PM   #7
CowsGoMoo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by pitchblackab
I cant tell you where i foung the volant for that price then I would ruin it for everyone, who would ask the person for it afterwards, it is a hook-up and i don't rezlly know the person that well.

Then you shouldn't say you can pick it up for 180 then, it was a hookup, which is oblivious to the fact that EVERYWHERE else it sells for 250-280. Iceman is 190-200, volant is 250-280, focussport i only see for 200. ebay, hook ups, used, trades are different than new from an authorized reseller.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 09-13-2003, 12:50 AM   #8
John
Banned

Fan#: 333
What I Drive: InfaRed Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 John Good Standing Member
Cow is right. Dont go Postin bullshit up on this sight.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:35 AM   #9
pitchblackab
Focus Addict

Look man if you like your focus and want the volant you will find it, plus there are times you can find the volant cheaper than 250. When i find it i'll post it
Old 09-13-2003, 02:48 AM   #10
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
making your own intake out of all of them is the best! oh and add ram air your set

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.