Keep blowing Fuse 32 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
jhowton

Fan#:
Keep blowing Fuse 32

Hello,

I am a newbie here although I am quite active in some other automotive forums. My wife recently bought a 2001 Focus wagon (estate) with the 2.0L Zetec engine. Twice now fuse #32 (10A) has blown. This takes out the taillights, instrument panel lights, climate control illumination, gearshift illumination and rear wiper as well as some other things that we probably haven't discovered. The emergency blinkers, headlights and brakelights still work.

Any BTDT or ideas on what to check first? The first thing that came to mind is perhaps a bad headlight switch since that component seems to be common to all of the other circuits (according to the Hanes manual), but I thought I'd post here before I start changing components with reckless abandon.

She just called me and said that the fuse blew again so she replaced it with one of the ones I left in the glove compartment which immediately blew when she turned the lights on again. Help, I don't want to pay a dealer to fix this if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2004, 11:01 PM   #2
liquid01
Focus Addict

Fan#: 252
What I Drive: ZX3 S2 modded--Just a touch

FF Reputation: 3 liquid01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Check the light posts to see if any leaks(ice) is in the sockets possibly front lights........gets cold here tooo..
Old 01-15-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
jhowton

Fan#:
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Regards

Old 02-02-2004, 12:15 AM   #4
eibachzx3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2954
What I Drive: 01' Navy Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 eibachzx3 Good Standing Member
your wiring for your ground might be fried too...thats the problem i kept running into on my other blown fuses
Old 02-02-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
jhowton

Fan#:
Thanks for the information. What I have found so far is that the taillight bulb holders seem kind of crispy and brown although there is no sign of water leakage. I cleaned the contacts and bulbs and re-installed everything although that didn't solve the problem -- I am still blowing the fuse. It seems to be really sporadic at this point, my wife can drive for a week with no problems, then she'll get in the car and fuse 32 will blow. Other times every fuse inserted blows immediately. I am trying to get it so that it is consistently blowing fuses so that I can unplug everything on that circuit, and plug everything back in one by one until the fuse blows. I also think that I am going to change out the tailight bulb hoders, I'll check the ground while I am at it. Anyone know the locations of the chassis ground points?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
dameon81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24572
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 dameon81 Good Standing Member
Im having this exact problem. Started 2 days ago. My Instrument panel is out, as are my Parking lights (front and rear) and my Plate lights. Turn signals still work, as do head lights and fogs when the switch is on (but i have no taillights at night! ). Tracked it down to "Fuse #32". Replaced it with the standard 10a while the Headlight Switch was "on" (oops) and it popped immediately. Put a 15a in with the switch off and turned the switch on and it popped immediately. Theres an obvious short somewhere..... just not sure where .

Due to rain for the last few days I havent been able to attempt any of the suggested fixes, but I've heard several different suggestions from various posts talking about the same thing.

If anyone has a more solid solution, lemme know asap! Im going to try to salvage a Headlight switch Assembley and also check the Rear Plate Light connections, since both have come up as solutions and Ill repost if I find anything definite.

My ZX3 Is my Problem Child & We have a love/hate relationship. Currently we're back to "Like".
Zetec Crew #263
Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Fan#: 46117
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1998 ZX2

FF Reputation: 4 Impaled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Good luck with that man could be a short anywhere.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
I would check the wires going to the rear tailgate from the carbody to see if the wires for the license plate light have flexed and shorted out.

While anything is possible, I doubt that this type of problem is due to a faulty light switch.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
dameon81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24572
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 dameon81 Good Standing Member
Yea as soon as work and the weather cooperates, im gonna check the wires first. Most of the posts that I have see regarding this problem were a result of the Hatch Plate bulb wires making contact somewhere on the body. So thats where im gonna start.

My ZX3 Is my Problem Child & We have a love/hate relationship. Currently we're back to "Like".
Zetec Crew #263
Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
covert1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7314
What I Drive: '02 Liquid Grey ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 covert1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Please refer to this thread, too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks