How To: Drilling Out Ignition Cylinder Due To Key Won't Turn (Ford Focus ignition lock cylinder) - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #61
MisterAlex
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43559
FF Reputation: 1 MisterAlex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003SilverSVT View Post
Question, there is no drilling needed when the key is functioning properly, correct. I just want to be proactive and replace it now before it starts giving me headaches.

Can I get a new cylinder from the dealership that will match up to my current keys..?
Right, if your key turns normally, you do not have to drill anything. You can remove the cylinder normally and replace it with a new keyed (or unkeyed if you want to start it with any key) cylinder. I was not so lucky with mine. 8(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #62
2003SilverSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77592
What I Drive: Read my user name...

FF Reputation: 1 2003SilverSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sorry to keep bringing this up, just want to make sure I understand you correctly, if I get a new cylinder I can NOT use my current keys or for that matter get it keyed to my current keys. I'm just wondering what the cost will be for a new cylinder, new keys etc.

I was hoping I could just get a new cylinder and get it set up so I CAN use my current keys...sorry for not completely understanding..

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #63
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileShould be able to get new cyl. set up to match current keys ("keying" the cyl) Depends on source of cyl. as to what`s included, generally new cyls. come with keys but I`ve heard of Ford kit with rekey instructions that may not... Old keys have chips registered to car for security, so you want to have mechanical lock matched to them....

Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #64
MisterAlex
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Sorry to keep bringing this up, just want to make sure I understand you correctly, if I get a new cylinder I can NOT use my current keys or for that matter get it keyed to my current keys. I'm just wondering what the cost will be for a new cylinder, new keys etc.

I was hoping I could just get a new cylinder and get it set up so I CAN use my current keys...sorry for not completely understanding..
Yeah, You can use your current keys with a new cylinder. I got one on eBay and the seller was able to key it to my current keys. I sent him a copy of my key, and it came back along with the cylinder and another fresh key.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #65
2003SilverSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterAlex View Post
Yeah, You can use your current keys with a new cylinder. I got one on eBay and the seller was able to key it to my current keys. I sent him a copy of my key, and it came back along with the cylinder and another fresh key.
You don't by chance have a link to that guy on eBay do you ?? Know it's kinda of a long shot but thought I'd ask...

Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #66
MisterAlex
Focus Rookie

Quote:
You don't by chance have a link to that guy on eBay do you ?? Know it's kinda of a long shot but thought I'd ask...
Actually, after a couple minutes of digging, it looks like I do:
http://myworld.ebay.com/doctor_loxmith

Here's the feedback I ended up leaving:

Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #67
2003SilverSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Very cool, just so happens I have a spare key to my car that is not a transponder key, so I'll probably end up sending that one.

Thanks again, appreciate it very much !

Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #68
Unable2FOCUS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80897
What I Drive: 2002 All White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Unable2FOCUS Good Standing Member
Well it's really nice of him to send back two new keys but states that they are NOT transponder keys!

I wonder how you get your car started with one of those unless re-cylidering somehow defeats the anti theft feature.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #69
MVent
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17635
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 2 MVent Good Standing Member
Ok so my ignition locked up on me and I'll have to drill it. Only thing is it locked up on me at school and my cars stuck there. If I drill it correctly , meaning I drill it parallel to where the key goes, will I be able to start my car and move it? What if I end up destroying the shaft where the key goes? I'm going to have it towed tonight if I can't get it fixed tonight.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #70
MVent
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17635
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 2 MVent Good Standing Member
Okay, part two. I called the dealer and they have an ignition kit. This means that it has all the stuff to change out the pins. Is this hard? I work at Home Depot and I've rekeyed many house locks. I imagine this is pretty much the same?

Btw, $150 for the kit.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks