How To: Drilling Out Ignition Cylinder Due To Key Won't Turn (Ford Focus ignition lock cylinder) - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #51
brown_fern
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 71959
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 brown_fern Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Let me start off my saying that in 2000 I bought my wife and brand new Ford Focus. It has since become my car. :) It has 200K miles on it and is still running strong. I regularly service and maintain my car. The focus has been a great car to me! Now I have a couple of things to add to this thread.

Most importantly, thanks to everyone in the forum that has contributed to the information on how to deal with the ignition lock failure. Six months ago my car's ignition began to get stuck. Jiggling the key would usually get it going. This past Thursday it jammed completely and I was not able to turn the key (had I known about this problem I would have probably replaced the ignition lock before complete failure).

To make a long story short...

I called the dealer and the cost for the ignition lock was $184 (ouch!) + they wanted $130 to build the tumblers, total = $314. And I still had to install it myself. WTF!

Then I decided to call an auto locksmith and they quoted me $225 parts and labor. This was a little better and I almost went for it.

But then I decided to search the internet for information and I stumbled upon this awesome website. I quickly found all the information I needed to get the job done. I tried to turn the key while gently tapping at the end...after about 45 mins I figured it had to be drilled out. Reading here that the drilling could be difficult due to the hardness of the metal. I decided to go down to the home depot and buy a set of Rigid cobalt drill bits.

The drill bits above ate through the metal like a hot knife through butter. I drilled the ignition lock and picked out the lock bar in about 20-30 mins.

I have since PM'ed b16sir1991 (Mike) in hopes that hey can supply me with a new and improved OEM ignition lock so that I can replace it.

Again, thanks for all the information it is truly and greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #52
stayinfocused03
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54217
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 stayinfocused03 Good Standing Member
Talking

sorry it's been a while since i was last on here but anyway let me tell you guys what happened with me.......

ok my cylinder was stuck, so i decided to drill it. while i was drilling i noticed that the cylinder turned, so i put my key in and what do you know!......it turned!!!!

but when i tried to turn it off it wouldn't go into the off position so i had to unplug my battery so that it wouldn't go dead while i was away. I was doing that for like a week until i got a great price for the lock cylinder at the dealership where I bought my Focus which was $120 plus $40 to set the tumblers.

I got my new cylinder and proceeded as said on this thread and wall-la!!!.....no more key problems.

i don't know if they will deliver or not but if you guys or gals would like i can give you the information for the dealership........just ps me and i got cha!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #53
brown_fern
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 71959
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 brown_fern Good Standing Member
Noticed some ppl had a problem locating the lock bar. When you drill it per the instructions its at the bottom of the 3/8 hole. If you use a screw driver to scrap down there it will become visible.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #54
lunchb0x
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47967
What I Drive: o2 police package lancer....

FF Reputation: 1 lunchb0x Good Standing Member
Let be give some background on my crappy ford ignition.

Thus far i have had the key not be able to turn in the igntion. after spraying with graphite spray and trying my hardest to get it to turn, tapping etc, i came to the conclusion that i could not get the ignition to spin.

I then decided to do the drilling process and i got the bar out of the ignition, and removed the pin facing the driver.

I have no idea why i cant get the ignition out, i have tried over and over put it to accessory, put it to on and nothing.

here is a few pics. sorry for the blurryness but iphones arent made for detail close up shots.

at this point theres no turning back so i must keep digging i guess. what are my options? i wish i could just put a sign on the car that says, TAKE ME. but its mine and i cant do much about that lol.

thanks for all your help.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #55
lunchb0x
Focus Rookie

Bump.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #56
lunchb0x
Focus Rookie

Does anyone have any suggestion? I'm kind of stuck at this point

Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #57
lunchb0x
Focus Rookie

dead thread? nobody can help?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #58
2003SilverSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77592
What I Drive: Read my user name...

FF Reputation: 1 2003SilverSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I know this thread is old...god it's old, but a goodie.

I just bought my 03 SVTF and the car came with only one key. I went and paid the 22.00 for a new key and the 55.00 to program it. The guy said that I have the old style cylinder, has the rough texture on top, and suggested I replace it before the key sticks.

Question, there is no drilling needed when the key is functioning properly, correct. I just want to be proactive and replace it now before it starts giving me headaches.

Can I get a new cylinder from the dealership that will match up to my current keys..?

Thanks guys

Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #59
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileI`d check the sticky under electrical for info. New cyl. can be keyed to match, reuse old keys & no programming. But make sure you have the issue! My lock on an `04 has offset key slot, and pebbled face, it should be the "new" type and it sounds like yours may be "new" as well. One thread I read long ago had the types reversed, fixed in later posts as I mentioned to another poster today.... Read all to be sure... would reeally be too bad if you replaced a "new" one just to be proactive.....

Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #60
2003SilverSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77592
What I Drive: Read my user name...

FF Reputation: 1 2003SilverSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks for the info, will check around first.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks