How To: Drilling Out Ignition Cylinder Due To Key Won't Turn (Ford Focus ignition lock cylinder) - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #31
JDSting
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 33065
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JDSting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Man, you guys are a life-saver. I just had this happen to me after trying to go home from school. Ford was no help when I called them to find out what was wrong. That's to be expected though. This same thing happend to my sisters Focus and she ended up spending a lot of money. I'm just glad I didn't have to do any drilling. I will have to drive around for a while without a cylinder. I have an alarm installed on the car, so it's all good. Thanks again guys for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #32
whiteben
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 15195
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 whiteben Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Big thanks to b16sir1991 Mike who rushed me a new ignition cylinder already keyed to my key. The install went in a straightforward fashion.

1) Remove the lower trim panel. The screws are hex-heads. You really only need to remove the top two screws and one of the bottom ones (there are two total on the bottom). The goal here is to get at the piece of trim of the bottom part of the steering column, which the lower dash trim partially obscures. Once you see you can get to the rearmost screw on the steering column, you're done and you don't need to take off the rest of the dash trim.

2) Remove the trim on the lower half of the steering column. There are three screws, all torx heads. Once the three screws are out, press in the two tabs near the steering wheel, one on either side of the column. Push them in and pull on the lower portion which should come off fairly easily. You don't -- and shouldn't -- take off the upper trim. You may be able to slide the lower trim off with the key in the ignition, or you may have to remove the key.

3) Remove the old ignition cylinder. Insert the key and turn it to the first position. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left. You will see a small tab (looks like a hole about 1mm in diameter) facing the driver's seat about 1" to the left of where the key is inserted into the ignition cylinder. Push in the tab. You'll need something stronger than a ballpoint pen, the tab needs to be depressed a fair bit and offers a good amount of resistance. As you push in the tab, pull on the key and the ignition cylinder will come out.

4) Install the new ignition cylinder in the same orientation as the old one. Make sure the tab goes in the same hole.

5) Install the steering column trim (three screws).

6) Install the lower dash trim (four screws, you may have removed only 3 of them).

Old 03-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #33
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
This thread with the drilling instructions should be stickied for the ones that either didn't get a warning that the switch was going, or ignored it...

Old 03-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #34
sparbanie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25693
What I Drive: 2007 InfraRed ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 sparbanie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You know after reading all the threads on this and what not i got lucky i bought my spi two years ago now and it has the newer lookin ingnition cylinder

Old 12-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #35
ChaoticJello
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11815
What I Drive: 2003 cloud 9 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ChaoticJello Good Standing Member
mine did this it was a pain in the ass ford fixed it with warrenty but without they said it would be around 800 to fix omg..

Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #36
ewick12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52748
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 ewick12 Good Standing Member
trouble with removing cylinder

I followed all the steps in this thread but I am still have problems getting the cylinder out. I drilled it and got the car to start. I just can't figure out how to release the cylinder.

Pushing in an allen wrench into the hole (while ignition is in "accessory position") seems to do nothing.

Am I missing something?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #37
jbr17

Fan#:
If I drill out my ignition cylinder and remove the Lock Bar, can I use a screw driver to start my car until I can get the new lock cylinder?

I HAVE to have the car working by this afternoon, but we don't have the money to get the lock cylinder for another couple of days...

Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #38
Quisman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4272
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT / 06 F350 King Ranch

FF Reputation: 2 Quisman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I have 3 foci...an 01 w/ 127k miles and a 03 svt w/ 40k miles and a 04 w/ 70k miles. Leave it to the newest car to biff it. The wifes 04 locked up on me, key goes in like a dream but no turning...i assume one of the tumblers is stuck up. so my question is...if I drill this I can then start the car w/out having to replace the ignition cyl ? Sounds like the most cost effective way :-) fully insure it and hope it gets jacked so I can get another svt :-) j/k...but will it operate when drilled out ? Thanks.

Edit: Got lucky today and used some of my reminton gun oil w/ teflon and gave it a little shot, turns no prob. see how long it lasts.

Last edited by Quisman; 03-13-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #39
lemon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 40840
What I Drive: 2002 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lemon Good Standing Member
When this happened to me I luckily was able to get the IC to turn after messing with it for a couple of hours. I removed it then removed the tumblers. Works great now. As an added bonus I can take my keys out with the engine running.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #40
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Rotfl well I have a pair of 2001's

2001 #1 Blew a tumbler 3 weeks ago ( $601 in repairs for cyl, 2 pats, remote reprogram)

2001 #2 Just gained possession Thursday took a peek looks like cyl froze on previous owner so its got a new ignition (BONUS LOL)
Realized I'm boned again #2 was delivered with only 1 Pats key no remotes x.x

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks