How To: Drilling Out Ignition Cylinder Due To Key Won't Turn (Ford Focus ignition lock cylinder) - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #21
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Its from having too much crap on your key chain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #22
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Memberb16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Actually Tim, its from dirt and and crap getting into the tumblers. The tumblers are so small in the old ones, and they are single sided, that when they get dirt in there, they "cock" sidways and wont move. The new cylinders are the old Ford style tumblers. They are twice as big and double sided. No comments on the "cock" thing Tim, lol

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:58 AM   #23
oassaf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21611
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 oassaf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah this happened to me on my 2000 ZTS last summer, i just gave it Ford and they replaced it for only 150 bucks Canadian and i got the new stylle tumbler. Before you drill it call them becasue the price in most cases depends on who you talk to, thos emechanics are weazels soemtimes, my hood opener cord broke one day so i couldnt open the hood and one dealer actually told me it would cost 300 for them to just open the hood, while another ford dealer just down the street told me 90 to fix it
XM Radio and CD Player
Current Exterior Modifications:
Avenger Front Bumber, JSP Wing, FX Side Skirts, Anzo Projector Headlights, TYC Carbon TL, Billet mini Antenna

Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #24
MikeVW
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34878
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MikeVW Good Standing Member
This just happened to my 2002 Sedan. I sat in a parking lot for 2 hours jiggling the key and had to have it towed home. The tow truck driver told me this was a common problem so I googled it. I found this website and this post must have saved me over $400 by doing it myself. Thanks for all the information guys! I called Ford about this and they said it would only be recalled if enough people had problems. I am not sure what they consider enough.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #25
grandpa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9842
FF Reputation: 1 grandpa Good Standing Member
hmm instead of drilling it, would a 2inch dia. grinder work? just grind off the face of the cylinder. I gonna do mines soon when the ic arrive. kuddos to Mike in advance.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #26
edslock
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 41345
FF Reputation: 1 edslock Good Standing Member
Hello, this is my first post in this forum . I was looking into oiling issue on a cougar 2.5 (spun rod bearing) when I ran across this thread. I am a locksmith and owner since 1969 and I can tell you there has been a lot of trouble with Focus ign locks. These same locks are also used on Expedition I think. Its Friday after Thanksgiving and Mr Crown and Coke may affect my memory . Anyways, car makers are so stupid , they have designs that work great for years and then scrap that for a new design made cheap from whoknows where. Briggs & Stratton has made OEM locks for Ford and most others since day one and you never hear about a problem , but for whatever reason car makers will get these crappy locks made by ??? and put them on new cars. Then after "problems" they get B&S to fix it for them. Yes that is what I'm getting at, the replacement locks are made by Strattec. The original locks fail because someone tries to pull the key out in a posiition not intended for it to come out and the tumblers get bent because they are so puny and the sloppy housing. Once they are bent , the lock may seem to work fine and then BAM no workie. At some point ALL of them will fail, but there is a plus. If you drill them out you still have to have the transponder key to start the car. This is where a locksmith comes in, if the lock is toast it can be replaced and a new lock keyed to match your original key so you dont have to buy another expensive key. Now I got to say I dont represent B&S or anyone other than myself but if you have this problem you should at least contact your locksmith on this, you may be suprised.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #27
slocussvt
Uber sexy euro time

Fan#: 17806
What I Drive: 02 Blue SVTF, 00 Black ZX3 (DD)

FF Reputation: 10 slocussvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
There is a TSB about the key getting stuck in the ignition. We replaced them all the time when i worked at ford.
FF09 bracket racing - 1st place

Old 11-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #28
gt4rally
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 23535
What I Drive: 2003 SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 gt4rally Good Standing Member
I removed all the tumblers from the cylinder after I noticed the key was getting harder to remove. No more problems... and now I can use my mailbox key without turning the car off! (key slides out of ignition and car still runs).

Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #29
jimshady97
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22856
What I Drive: 2005 gray zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 jimshady97 Good Standing Member
the best way to get the cyl out if it wont turn is to use a slide hammer.i've done it about 50 times with no damage to the column.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #30
MisterAlex
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43559
FF Reputation: 1 MisterAlex Good Standing Member
Could someone post a clear picture of what the lock bar looks like? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for, or maybe I haven't drilled far enough... but I'm a bit confused.

Here's my drilling...

And a little deeper... not sure what that gold/yellow-ish thing is...

Edit: Got the little bugger out. Yay!

Last edited by MisterAlex; 02-04-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks