HOW TO: hard wire radar detector (or any 12v device) to fuse box - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
pagaporcristo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 25699
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3, charcoal

FF Reputation: 1 pagaporcristo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HOW TO: hard wire radar detector (or any 12v device) to fuse box

ok here is the truth behind all this mystery. All you need is a universal DC jack (available at radio shack). Just tell radio shack your intentions and they can tell you the wire to buy. What you want is the small connector to your radar detector attached to a length of wire. Run this wire behind the molding to almost any 7.5A fuse in the fise box (use the positive end of the detector wire in the fise box). If you are buying the kit from best buy (not a bad choice) the positive is white and black (solid black is negative).

Pull out a fuse (I used the one for my radio; its labeled on the plastic panel that covers the fuse panel) that is 7.5A. You could use the one for your dome light, etc. It doesnt matter if you don't mind turning the detector off as you leave your car. If you care about turning it on and off, use the one for the radio as labeled. (It IS different for different years).

After connecting the positive here simply by folding it over one of the fuse metal connectors and replacing the fuse, now you need to connect the negative. (BTW, there is a fuse key to remove fuses located under the hood in the fuse box. This is mounted to the firewall on the driver's side in my 2003 ZX3).

Now, just remove and of the screw that hold the fuse box in place on the chassey and screw down the negative wire here. You really could just tape it to the chassey if you wanted, but that is not nearly as permanent or secure as it could slip out.

Now, connect the radar detector and you're done! Remeber, you just need 12v DC, it doesnt matter the source so just pick any you'd like.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Az 05 Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12977
What I Drive: 2005, Orange, Focus ZX3 3 Door Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Az 05 Focus Good Standing Member
hey could you post pics of it, or pm me pics of it either way
2005, Orange, Ford Focus ZX3: Borla Catback Exhaust, MM 3.5" Cold Air Intake, Focus sport Front and Rear Strut bar, Steeda Tri Ax Short Shifter w/ RS Shift Knob, Ford Racing KW 1.6" lowering Springs, Focus Racing Pedals, 16" OZ Racing Superturismo GT Wheels on Hankook Ventus HRII's 215/50/16, Ford Racing Pillar Gauges ( Volt, Water Temp, Oil Pressure ), Draxas 4-1 Race Header, F2 RS Widebody Kit
Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
oceanmotion00
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2379
What I Drive: 02 CD Silver ZX3

Points 756, Level 14
Points: 756, Level: 14 Points: 756, Level: 14 Points: 756, Level: 14
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 oceanmotion00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
also you can just cut your cig lighter plug off, mine broke so i cut it off to add a new one, then thought well why don't i hard wire it. i had it on all the time, doesn't run down the battery but i would recommend wiring to the radio. but yea works great, frees up the cig lighter for my phone charger
Halos
15% tint all around
Coming soon... header, anything else i can afford :-)
Old 07-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
pagaporcristo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 25699
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3, charcoal

FF Reputation: 1 pagaporcristo Good Standing Member
In will post pics this evening after I take a few. The fuse number that I used on my 2003 ZX3 was number 41 by the way. That way when I kill battery power to the car I also kill it to the radar detector. Otherwise, the detector has to be manually turned off to avoid battery drainage. oh! This guy does a good job illustrating the project with pics.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...4807&members=1

(Thanks to whoever made that site)

The only thing I might add is that you don't actually need to have the "adapter" he talks about for the fuse box. You DO need the appropriate connector for the detector (i.e. the $11 kit they sell at bestbuy) but it suffices to use duct tape or electrical tape to hold the wire onto the selected fuse.

Allow me to clarify one thing, the size of the fuse chosen in the fuse box doesnt matter all that much. Most likely there will be a second fuse on the positive "hot" line leading to your detector. So if there is too much current that fuse will just blow. If you have personal questions regarding this please send me a PM and I will try my best. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
^^^ Correct.

I did this mod 2 years ago and it was kind of annoying to turn off the radar detect manually.
It's nice to have it turn off when you kill the ignition key.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
ZX3 Jon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35429
What I Drive: 2006 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3 Jon Good Standing Member
I know this thread has probably been long over butttt..... I have an 06 and I dont have the "would be" moon roof control area - like its all just "carpet" (if thats appropriate for the ceiling). I just wanna know if anyone has any suggestions how to take the lamp off in the 06. I cant seem to find any screws or anything.

Pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their @$$
Old 06-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
PhilMayfield
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34404
What I Drive: 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT

FF Reputation: 4 PhilMayfield Good Standing Member
I have an 06 too, took me a while to figure out how to get the lamp out, but its pretty easy once I got it.

-Shove your fingers up between the grey molding and the headliner.
-Feel for the clear plastic part of the light.
-Push down on it, it should pop right out.
-Remove the two screws holding the grey molding piece to the roof.

Heres how I ran the wire for my radar detector.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
BOOSTA
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36047
What I Drive: 2003 White ZX3 2.3L Turboed Duratec

FF Reputation: 8 BOOSTA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Thanks for the INFO pagaporcristo, will come in handy!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
biketcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3796
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black Focus SES 5-spd (D

Points 640, Level 12
Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 biketcher Good Standing Member
That looks mucho clean!

Currently proud owner of a Pitch Black 2007 Focus SES 5-spd (2.0 Duratec) with all manner of options, but no mods...yet.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
biketcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3796
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black Focus SES 5-spd (D

Points 640, Level 12
Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 biketcher Good Standing Member
I'm trying to hook up my MP3 player/GPS (Mio C310x) so that I don't have to use the cigarette lighter ('cause it looks like poo) and route the audio through the stereo (no freakin' FM modulators - hate 'em). This post has helped me get the first half figured out. Gotta be honest, though, the pics weren't all that great - I'll try to get some when I perform the mod.

Currently proud owner of a Pitch Black 2007 Focus SES 5-spd (2.0 Duratec) with all manner of options, but no mods...yet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks