Experience with 2 SRIīs vs OEM intake - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
127 Boy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10117
What I Drive: Focus ST170

FF Reputation: 1 127 Boy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Experience with 2 SRIīs vs OEM intake

Hi!

Yesterday I made an experience With 3 types of intakes. Later, I will post pictures of the "test track", 3 filters, the second air feed and the heat-shield.

First the OEM intake with a normal panel filter.

Secondly, I installed a new Simota conic filter (A big dimension filter) with heatshield.

Lastly, I installed a used K&N conic Filter (a small dimension filter) with heatshield. In this test, My co-pilot weight 20kgs more than in the others tests.

The 3 experiences had 2 cold feeds: the OEM Snorkel, and a 50mm tube that come next to the left fog light.

So, I made in the same day, with 30 minīs apart each (the time to uninstall and install) 2 experiences, just to know the differences in the crono.

As you all know, the SRIīs made the tendency to have more low-medium range power. But What about High range power? I supose they loose because of the excess of heat ( Bear in mind that I had one heatshield and another cold feed)

Unfortanely my test track is very small, so I just made 2 chronos:

-2nd Gear 2000rpm to 7000rpm (35kph-110kph): this was to embrace the hole range, low, medium and high. This was made only in a steep uphill.

-2nd gear 4000rpm to 7000rpm (62kph-110kph): this was to observe especially the high range.This was made uphill and downhill.

Ok, know the results:

2nd Gear 2000rpm to 7000 rpm: (time in seconds)

OEM filter: 8.06/8.32/8.00/8.22 - medium 8.15
Simota SRI: 7.68/7.67/8.01/n.d. - medium 7.79
K&N SRI: 7.87/7.63/8.10/n.d. - medium 7.87

note: n.d. - not done

2nd Gear 4000rpm to 7000rpm: (time in seconds)
^ - uphill
_ - downhill

OEM filter: 5.94^/4.64_/5.33^/4.75_ - medium 5.17
Simota SRI: 5.02^/4.87_/5.34^/4.68_ - medium 4.98
K&N SRI: 5.80^/4.82_/5.45^/4.66_ - medium 5.18

My personal conclusion:

Both SRIīs perform better than the OEM panel filter in low/medium ranges, with slightly difference between them.

If you notice in downhill in the high range, the OEM filter is similar in times with the SRIīs, so The SRIīs doesnīt improve in the higher ranges.

Now, what about one K&N or ITG panel filter? or one CAI? The CAI I canīt test, but I will test again with a new panel filter. Iīm hoping that I can match the SRIīs low/medium ranges with the panel filter, and beat them in the high range.

Please give me your opinions about this little test. Do you think that the difference in time traduces how many more power? I know it was best to do this in 3rd or even 4rd gear, but I just donīt have space for that near my garage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
coleslaststand
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6500
What I Drive: black 2004SVTEuro; '02 spyder eclipse gt

FF Reputation: 1 coleslaststand Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I really believe that the key to all of this is to ventilate the hood and\or fenders so you can take advantage of the SRI's less restrictive filter (there are Carbon Fiber hood and fender replacements that add both style and functionality) ... an SRI without some sort of cooling method isn't going to make a huge difference over stock, and that's basically what your test shows.
Of course there is always CAI but there is also the slight chance of hydrolock and the CAI filters get really dirty, really fast.
Mods = Hypnotic's SCT tune; Screaming Demon coil and wire package; Denso Iridium ITV24's; FR STS; VF rear mount; ported TB; Custom wing; VIS CF vented hood; Hypnotic's SRI; SCO 4 gauge grounding wires and ORP ...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Rych
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10165
What I Drive: SVT IR, 03

FF Reputation: 1 Rych Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Good job in trying to come up with a test.

But any test that involves a human and a stopwatch is flawed right from the beginning. Especially when you consider that you are measuring differences of only a few HP.

98 3.8L Mustang Auto
heads,cam,nitrous
13.20 @ 102MPH (stock suspension, street radials)
1.9 60'
Old 07-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
The big thing that might be harming your tests is the long term fuel trim memory in the ECU. As ypu drive around, the ECU is watching the O2 sensors and adjusting the mixture accordingly. When you punch it WOT, the ECU goes to another map for max performance....but, that map is adjusted according to the fuel trims that have been set during normal driving.

Changing ANYTHING without resetting the ECU is asking for confusion. Some companies RELY on this confusion because an intake that reduces the restriction will show major power gains....at first. This is because the WOT calculations are based on the old fuel trim numbers that WILL change with the new intake restriction...it just takes some time for the ECU to learn the new setup.

To do the testing you are doing fairly, you would either need to clear the ECU before each change or drive the car with the new setup at least 100 miles for the different parameters to be learned and adjusted for.

Good work! But more may be at play here than is apparant.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Iceboy9191
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5809
What I Drive: 04 SVT 5 dr

FF Reputation: 1 Iceboy9191 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
haha that was done with a stop watch...thats a good call if the test was done legitly
Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
127 Boy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10117
What I Drive: Focus ST170

FF Reputation: 1 127 Boy Good Standing Member
well, I try to do it legitly... itīs with a stopwatch but I do it 4 times to give me the medium of the 4 runs. Itīs not 100% accurate, but is consistent. :)

I had reset the ECU all the 3 times. That is the only way that the ECU can learn fast the new incoming air readings. ;) didnīt forgot!

I think the problem of SRIīs vs Stock box is that with 2 air feeds, it come a point (only with some speed) that the air that is allowed to enter is more in the Stock box (because is amost "pushed", it does some kind of pression) than in the SRI (because is "sucked"). Adding this the cooler air of the stock box, then we have more power, IF WE ADD ONE MORE FEED.

I now some people think is outrageous, but in every car that I have tested SRIīs It seems to loose top end power.... but only dyno can take this questions away.

Tks 4 your answers, I already have the pictures, now I have to upload them. :|

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.