Gem Module? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
muxiprettyboy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4349
FF Reputation: 1 muxiprettyboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gem Module?

Ok, here is my horror story:

So my tail light was out as well as the blinker on the rear passenger side. I take it to the garage. The machanic tells me its the blinker switch. He also says that I will have to leave it there over night to wait for the part. The next day the guy calls me and asks me if my security system has ever locked my car up before I tell him (of course) "no". He proceeds to tell me that when trying to fix the tail light they traced the problem back to the Gem Module which he says governs the electrical system.

THEY TOOK THE THING APART!!!!!!!!!!

He then tells me that my car wont do anything, no lights will come on, it doesnt even try to start. He also says that they dont know how to fix it and they are going to have to send it to our local ford dealer to have them fix it (which I should have done in the first place).

My question is: how much trouble is my car in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Cooter13WNY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21745
What I Drive: 2004 WRB STi

FF Reputation: 4 Cooter13WNY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds like a lawsuit to me. Doing unauthorized work
Old 07-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
jazzy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13717
What I Drive: 2000 Vermillion Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 jazzy Good Standing Member
I had sorta the same thing...... i hooked up a speedo overlay and the thing went wacko shorting out my blower motor, cig lighter, and instrument cluster lights. My local garage traced the problem back to the gem module. Fortunately they stopped there and informed my there was nothing more they could do... I still hade to pay the $80 diagnostic fee. I just dropped it off at the local ford dealer. The gem module is $130 and needs to be reprogramed to the cars specific options via ford of course (vin #, alarms, so on). Your car is not in trouble assuming it is the gem module. Should be around 250 or 300 including diagnostic fees and labor. So your not in that much trouble. But you better not pay for the bozo's who frigged it up in the first place. Hope this helps.......
Old 07-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
i dont think you can sue them because they were trying to fix the problem you brought it there for, but then again i would never leave my car overnight for a blinker switch.

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
muxiprettyboy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4349
FF Reputation: 1 muxiprettyboy Good Standing Member
Ok, well according to the mechanic today he says that they never took the thing apart. He says that they unplugged a box of some sort that is located behind the glove box and then plugged it back in and that is when the car shut down. So are you saying that if they replace the Gem Module and have it reprogrammed it should be ok? Also, do you guys think that my car will be the same as it was before? Ive just heard a lot of horror stories about when people have major repairs like this that thier cars never run the same again.

What do you think?

Bookmarks & Social Networks