'03 ZTS. Another electrical problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Flyfisher
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73772
What I Drive: 2003 gray ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Flyfisher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'03 ZTS. Another electrical problem

Mine didn't sound like the other guys so I started a new thread.

While driving at highway speeds, and typically when I either tap the brake or use the turn signals, all of the dash lights come on and the radio dies. This lasts about three seconds and then all is well again. It acts as if I had turned the engine off but the engine keeps on going....well....at least it used to.

More info; while in cruise control, tapping the brake will get the lights/radio response. Using the turn signal will do the same thing.

However; I just returned home to Tulsa from St. Louis for the holidays and now it seems as if the engine will also shut off.....it just dies for a few seconds....and then it starts back up. All of this while on the highway. One time the lights all came on when I hit a bump.

It got a little worrisome when I used the turn signal to move into the lane just ahead of a semi-truck and the engine died just as I got in front of him. That was spooky. It's like the ignition is shorting out to remove all juice from the spark plugs.

All of this is intermittent. It happens about 50% of the time on the highway. I don't recall it ever happening while driving about town under 50 MPH.

The best I can figure is some kind of loose wire in the steering column somewhere. I can't think of anything else that's going to involve the brakes and the turn signals to affect the ignition.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
rsnow
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105358
What I Drive: 2002 pitch black svt

FF Reputation: 1 rsnow Good Standing Member
check your ground connection at and near the battery where they are bolted to the car. Also look at your battery cables, see if where they connect to the battery if they look melted some.... this can indicate high resistance. These cars have battery cable issues and alternator issues that can cause these issues. Grounds are a funny thing, they can and will effect everything, especially lighting.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Flyfisher
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73772
What I Drive: 2003 gray ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Flyfisher Good Standing Member
Turned out to be a bad battery connection and a bad battery. Given that the issues only showed themselves when I tapped the brakes or used a turn signal, I wouldn't have thought it was a battery.

Bookmarks & Social Networks