Kumho Solus kh16's - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
ecmxracer289
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66623
What I Drive: 2006 Screamin Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ecmxracer289 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Kumho Solus kh16's

Ok I got these tires on svt rims 215/45/17 and when I put them on they were quite now with like 8000 miles they are loud as heck.

Anyway could there be another problem other than the tire... I have not switched back to the stock rims and tires yet to see if the problem continues.

Also I want a quite tire any recommendations for a good all season I want Michelin hydroedges but they don't have em in that size.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
jimfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69155
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 jimfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Kuhmo Solus

I suggest you have them balanced and rotated. 8000 miles is long enough to need that. Also performance tires are more tempermental and usually wear faster (softer compound).
Old 10-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
The Kumho solus KH 16 is a pretty good all season touring tire (I had a sets on my now gone 1994 and 2000 Altimas). Touring tires are usually very quiet as they have lots of sipping and smaller tread blocks. Tirerack surveys and testing rate it as being a quiet tire as well. The first thing I'd do is rotate them. If that reduces some noise I'd follow up with a rebalance as well. Check for any unusal tire wear when they're off the car. Normally a bad alignment does not cause tire noise until the tire is rotated to a new position. Also check for any pot hole damage (reputured sidewall, tread, etc) which can result in noises as well.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
cplensdorf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 69904
What I Drive: 2009 SES, 2007 MazdaSpeed3

FF Reputation: 1 cplensdorf Good Standing Member
Did you notice any handling issues after using these tires? I am trying to see if these tires on my 09 SES are causing my handling issues.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
ecmxracer289
Focus Enthusiast

I rotated them about 1500 miles ago and that when I noticed the noise the car is in alignment and no uneven wear I saw. btw the car handles great love the tire but not the noise
Old 10-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
So the noise stated after you rotated them...correct? That usually means there was some wear and the tire in its new position in identifying this by creating noise. It may go away with some additional miles. You can also try playing with tire pressures a little. Little one and two pound differences can change acoustics but also can effect handling and ride quality.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
ecmxracer289
Focus Enthusiast

found the culprit the rear wheel bearings/brake drum assembly's that were just replaced were not greased from the factory freakin cheap aftermarket parts quite as can be now.

lasted 10000 miles before they $^iT themselves

sealed bearings my ass when we pulled them off the bearing fell apart that would of been nice at 100 mph

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->