Duratec 2.3l???? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
frenimy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 25638
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 2.3l

FF Reputation: 1 frenimy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Duratec 2.3l????

I come form a different world of cars altogether. I just sold my 65 mustang last week and got an 03 ZX3 with a 2.3l. I know nothing of the small four cylinders. I know that it seemed a lot more peppy than the 2.0 so that is why I bought it. I am looking to do a little upgrading and i was wondering if all 2.3l were the duratec. Also what kind of improvements do you feel in performance from basic bolt ons like CAI and pulleys and other small things like that. I come from a well built small block ford. I just want something that gets good gas milage and has a good seat of the pants feel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
rompin2.0focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7208
FF Reputation: 1 rompin2.0focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Congrats on your new purchase! I wish I had bought a 2.3L! They do make a 2.0 Duratecs though. But I do believe all 2.3s are duratec as well.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
chucksu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23393
What I Drive: 2006 Camo xB

FF Reputation: 1 chucksu Good Standing Member
Yes all the 2.3Ls in the focus are duratec. It seems like most ppl can get about 18hp just from exhaust + CAI. I have a exhaust right now & it helps out with the go power above 3K. Its nice being able to just role on the throttle in 5th gear & go. As for upgrades, with you living in cali, you need to keep that thing emission safe. So about the only things you could do maybe is a cat back + intake + pulleys. Much else & it might be to much work to undo. Other will put in what they have to say. Oh also Marcy Motorsport has this little BS(balance shaft) delete kit that you could get, it drops something like 10-15lbs of rotating mass off the engine. Good luck on your future project & congrats

Owner of 2006 Scion xB.

Friends with crazy_urn
Old 07-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Welcome to the world of the Focus. Why oh why did you sell a 65 Pony though?!?!

Anyway, yes all 2.3s in Focuses are Duratecs. All 05-06 engines are Duratecs now too, except there's a 2.0 flavor too. The Duratec is significantly more peppy and torquey than the previous 2.0L, the Zetec or SPI. Noticeably different, in my experience.

Like some mentioned, INTAKE is key on this engine. Think it's kinda spunky now, the intake is good for a solid 8-10 hp at the wheels, not too shabby for under $200! Exhaust is good as well, for the "breathe out" effect. Good bet with this is to get a 2.5" system, unless your Only mods will be intake and exhaust, in which case 2.25" should be OK.

Check out the Duratec Mods list in my signature for available parts, you have the D23E. Also there's another sticky in the Duratec forums here, Duratec FAQ that's a good little overview of some commonly-covered subjects. Any other questions, feel free to pipe up!
Old 07-17-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
MEXNUMBR1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11783
What I Drive: 04 PITCH BLACK ZX3 PREMIUM 5 SPEED(WHY WOULD N E 1 WANT THAT HEAVY A** TORQUE CONVERTER

FF Reputation: 1 MEXNUMBR1 Good Standing Member
yeah definately go with an intake first, then since ur in ca. a cat back . a 2.5" is nice but since ur emmisions are tough and you cant go with headers and such ( unless you wanna take the risk of the smog cops and hassle of swapping it out when emmision time rolls around lol) a 2.25" will do well. mbrp has a nice setup for under $250. you can also do a cam tool and a balance shaft delete for about a buck fifty all said and done. those mods will give ya a real nice bump in performance and will cost ya less then $600 outta pocket. i got outta a mustang as well, a '95 5.0 theyre fun straight line, but im pretty sure youre gonna love the foci as much as i do, 'specialy when ya find a nice windy back road or the first time ya chew up some ricer in a civic or a celica! have fun! keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
frenimy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 25638
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 2.3l

FF Reputation: 1 frenimy Good Standing Member
Thanks for all the input from you guys. I come from www.fordmuscle.com forum and you guys seem to be just as great as they are. I know that this little engine has great potential. I had the car out last night, My GF has an 04' Accord V-6 and this little 4 cylinder ran right beside it with no problem. I was wondering if the 8-10 hp really is a big diff or not. I know on a heavy v-8 that that kind hp is more like "well I think I fell it a bit but not really sure". Also what about clutches, I noticed my clutch slipping when trying to launch at just under 4000 rpm. I know that there are a few good clutches out there but what would you guys reccomend for a nice street friendly clutch that doesn't chatter too much and doesn't have that annoying squeal of metalic pads.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
LoLo2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17550
What I Drive: 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe Twin Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 LoLo2000 Good Standing Member
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=53744

F2 RS Front Bumper
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
MEXNUMBR1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11783
What I Drive: 04 PITCH BLACK ZX3 PREMIUM 5 SPEED(WHY WOULD N E 1 WANT THAT HEAVY A** TORQUE CONVERTER

FF Reputation: 1 MEXNUMBR1 Good Standing Member
u will get the best launches between 25k and 35k rpm, yeah the stock one kinda sux on hard launches. but swappin it out imo is gonna depend on what all ur gonna do to and with ur car, i think mine performs ok as far as what ive done in mods, as far as what im planning on doing, which isnt realy a whole lot more, ill just wait till my stock clutch wears out and the consider what i'll replace it with
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
guerro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
between 25 thousand and 35 thousand RPMs ? ? I don't think the 2.3L can rev that high!! ;)
Old 07-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Moonlight98
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25627
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX4 ST (Mine) 2005 ZX4 SES Grey (Wifes)

FF Reputation: 1 Moonlight98 Good Standing Member
I think he meant 2.5k and 3.5k. Unless hes got somekind of crazy japahonda duratec.
- ST Crew #15
- Team Duratec #90

Bookmarks & Social Networks