Ford introduces Mustang V6 Pony Package - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Kneel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford introduces Mustang V6 Pony Package

Yay!! Bigger factory wheels and tires coming for both V-6 and V-8 Mustangs!

FORD MUSTANG - THE HOTTEST CAR IN AMERICA - GALLOPS INTO 2006 WITH MORE CHOICE, NEW V-6 "PONY PACKAGE" 09 June 2005
Robert Lane
Dearborn, Michigan.

* All-new for 2006 model year "Pony Package" offers Mustang V-6 customers a GT-inspired suspension with larger wheels and tires, custom grille with fog lamps and other notable enhancements.

* Mustang GT now available with four distinct wheel and tire combinations, including two all-new 18-inch wheels and tires complemented by unique suspension tuning.

* Two new Mustang colors debut &endash; Vista Blue Clearcoat Metallic and Tungsten Grey Clearcoat Metallic, first shown on the 2004 NAIAS Mustang show car.

Ford Mustang - the hottest car in America - gallops into the 2006 model year with new product improvements announced today at the Mid-America Ford Performance & Shelby Meet in Tulsa, OK. For 2006, Ford Mustang will offer customers more customization potential with the all-new "Pony Package," providing Mustang V-6 customers a GT-inspired suspension with larger wheels and tires, custom grille with fog lamps and other enhancements.

Mustang GT customers can now also choose between four different wheel and tire packages &endash; the most ever offered on a V-8 powered Mustang &endash; including two new 18-inch wheels and tires complemented by unique suspension tuning. In addition, two new Mustang colors &endash; Vista Blue Clearcoat Metallic and Tungsten Grey Clearcoat Metallic &endash; join the color palette for 2006.

"Over the years, Mustang's success has always been tied to our customers' ability to customize their car direct from the factory," says Robert Parker, Ford Car marketing manager. "For 2006, we're taking a page from the Mustang history book and are offering customers increased customization potential with the exciting new "Pony Package" on Mustang V-6 models. In addition, we've added two 18-inch wheel choices for our performance-minded GT buyers."

Ride Pony, Ride

From sporty two-door coupe to high-performance hot-rod, Mustang has fit the needs of America's sports-car enthusiasts for more than 42 years.

For 2006, Ford debuts the new "Pony Package" on V-6 coupe and convertible "Premium" models. At a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $1,195, the Mustang V-6 "Pony Package" offers tremendous performance value, adding the following equipment:

* Customized "Pony" grille encompassing GT-model-like round fog lamps and a chrome bezel around the traditional Mustang prancing horse

* GT-inspired suspension featuring a larger front stabilizer bar, the addition of a rear stabilizer bar and P235/55ZR 17-inch tires on painted cast aluminum wheels with bright machined rims and unique tri-bar Pony center caps &endash; the largest wheels and tires ever fitted to a V-6 Mustang

* Pony front fender badges, lower door tape stripe and carpeted front floor mats with special brushed chrome "Mustang" logos and a rear spoiler

* 4-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock braking system (ABS) and traction control

Customers also can continue to customize the interior of both the Mustang V-6 and GT models with an Interior Upgrade Package, Interior Sport Appearance Package and the Interior Color Enhancement Package.

More Wheels for Your Pony

Mustang GT also enters the 2006 model year with two new 18-inch wheel and tire combinations &endash; the largest tires ever fitted to a production V-8 Mustang since the 2000 SVT Cobra R model &endash; and unique suspension tuning calibrated to the larger treads. Customers who order Mustang GT with the larger wheels and tires receive recalibrated shocks and struts to compensate for the unique handling characteristics of Mustang's shod with 18-inch rubber.

Mustang GT customers can now choose from the following four wheel and tire combinations:

* Standard P235/55 ZR17 Pirelli "PZERO" tires on painted aluminum wheels

* Optional P235/55 ZR17 Pirelli "PZERO" tires on bright machined-aluminum wheels

* Optional P235/50 ZR18 BFGoodrich "Touring TA" tires on polished aluminum wheels

* Optional P235/50 ZR 18 BFGoodrich "Touring TA" tires on premium aluminum wheels

Sales, Share and Production Gains

Since its launch in the fall of 2004, the new model Mustang has quickly become the hottest selling car in America. Sales of the new 2005 model are up more than 25 percent this year, with sales to individual retail customers up more than 44 percent.

Increasing sales gains have also been accompanied by share gains. Nearly one out of every two sports car sold in America this year has been a Mustang, with the car garnering more than three and a half times as many sales as its closest competitor in the small specialty segment, which features sports coupes such as the Pontiac GTO, Nissan 350Z, Chrysler Sebring and Hyundai Tiburon.

In March, the company announced that it will take production of the hot new Mustang to more than 192,000 units in 2005 - an increase of more than 70 percent, or 80,000 units, from the previous year.

Updates at www.BlueOvalNews.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Cool beans, make a hot car even better!! Sigh...
Old 06-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17881
What I Drive: 2006 white ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 GAfocusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
yeah, if only it had the power to keep with equally priced cars.

don't get me wrong, I love the new mustang, but it is too slow for a 30K car. I could use the same money, buy an STi or EVO, smoke the mustang, bget better gas mileage, and save a bunch of money on car insurance!

Current mods: None:(
Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
^^ That's why I'll be happy to buy a Mustang in a couple years when the price isn't artificially inflated by the dealers and if anything they'll probably be back to offering rebates. Plus you get the benefit of a couple years to work out the quirks and the addition of new options, like this "Pony Package" deal.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Kneel
Focus Addict

First pic of the new Pony Package - I actually think this grill looks better than the GT's. The fog lights on the GT are too big for my taste.

Pony Package Picture Link

Last edited by Kneel; 06-10-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Maybe it's just me but if your going to buy a mustang, do it right, go with the V8. I dunno, but that's the way I feel about it. If your buying a sports car, why the hell would you want a V6 with less power, performance, suspension, rims, etc. Your getting 1/2 the car in the end.

The only reason I can think of having a V6 is gas mileage and for people that want the 'mustang' but can't afford the REAL mustang.....
Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Kneel
Focus Addict

Well, here are a few reasons people choose the V-6 over the V-8...

1) $5,000 less expensive
2) Better mileage
3) lower insurance premium
4) GT's suspension and ride is too stiff for some
5) V-6 still does 0-60 in under 7 seconds, which is plenty fast for most people. It also lighter than the GT.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
jollyjohnj
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 235
What I Drive: 03 Infrared Focus SVT, 01 Mercury Villager

FF Reputation: 1 jollyjohnj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by S2
Maybe it's just me but if your going to buy a mustang, do it right, go with the V8. I dunno, but that's the way I feel about it. If your buying a sports car, why the hell would you want a V6 with less power, performance, suspension, rims, etc. Your getting 1/2 the car in the end.

The only reason I can think of having a V6 is gas mileage and for people that want the 'mustang' but can't afford the REAL mustang.....
My thoughts exactly. My wife oooohs and aaaahhhs over every new Mustang she sees. I always tell her when she is goo goo gaa gaaing over a v6 that I would rather have the GT because of the v8 and she is quick to point out that my car only has 4 cylinders and makes me wish I hadn't told her anything about cars.
SVT SQUAD #39
Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
three_X_Z
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 883
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 three_X_Z Good Standing Member
The only bummer is I like knowing what is a GT vs. a V6 by the big round fog lights in the grill. Not that there are other like the exhaust and stuff but the headlights always are a quick dead give away. Oh wait I just looked at the picture and I guess its still different.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
If I were buying a Mustang, I would want the GT. But... I can see why the V6 sells as well as it has over the years, for the same reasons that Kneel pointed out. Plus do not forget that the majority of Mustangs are sold to women - not all women buyers want a V8-powered GT. In fact I think the number is somewhere along the lines of 70%, for how many V6 Mustangs are sold to women.

I agree with Kneel, if I bought a Mustang GT, the first thing I'd do is figure out how to retrofit this "Pony Package" grille onto the GT - it's much better-looking.

Yes, it's almost an exact copy of one of the grille designs used on the original Mustang, and they're really milking this retro thing for all it's worth... but for me it just so happens that I actually like the way it looks regardless of whether the car is "retro" or not.

Bookmarks & Social Networks