Considering a new car, advice plz! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
svt4chris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8821
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 svt4chris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Considering a new car, advice plz!

Alrighty, I love my SVT like no other, but I'm one of those people that's easily bored and I've been giving some thought to upgrading to a new (or new to me) car. Here are some of my ideas:

Lexus IS300 (prolly the least expensive- certified pre-owned)
Mazdaspeed 6 (when it comes out)
Infiniti G35 Coupe (really expensive tho)
GTI w/ VR6 (but prolly not)
STi or Evo (but only cuz they're insanely fast)

Those are the ones that have the most of my attention right now. My main inspiration is finding a more luxurious/smoother car, as I may be commuting a lot in the next few months/years, even tho I can't help but mention the STi and Evo. Bear in mind that, although I'm confident that I can do this, I'm only in college so money isn't abundant.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How much $$$ do you want to spend. Tell me that, and I'll give you my professional opinion
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 07-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
MyBlackST
Capital Obvious

Fan#: 11768
What I Drive: 2008 Redfire Metallic Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 MyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
03 or 04 Cobra mustang? but from your choices there...I'd go with the EVO or STI

ST Crew #3
TEAM DURATEC # 7
Old 07-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
IS300 is going to get boring fast. It was cool when it came out but the design is getting tired-looking and those Altezza tails are looking very "dated" now. Performance-wise it's good but not great, however it probably will be a more comfortable commuter than an SVT Focus. I'd say a few months owning one of those and you'll be wondering why you thought it was so great.

The STi/Evo are alluring cars but NOT good daily drivers, they are going to be uncomfortable for long commutes - or so I hear, I wouldn't know myself.

Of that list my pick would be the G35 coupe (but you're right, even a used one is still expensive) or the MazdaSpeed 6, but that's with reservation since we have no idea what the real car will actually be like.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Normally I'd suggest getting the WRX hecause it's a fun car. It has good performance but lack the luxury you're looking for. Since you're going to be using this as a commuter...I would probably rule out the EVO because of it's firm suspension. I think the best all around car for you would be the G35. It has a good balance of speed, luxury, design.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Iceboy9191
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5809
What I Drive: 04 SVT 5 dr

FF Reputation: 1 Iceboy9191 Good Standing Member
mmm evos are not that fast...a srt beats it by about a car...why isnt that on the list...personally i would go with a mazdaspeed cuz the 3 and 6 are both sweet cars...and im sure they know the srt-4 is the competition...i expect hot shit from mazda :)
Old 07-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #7
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Ummm, you seem to be grossly misinformed. Not only does the EVO VIII beat the SRT-4 quite handily in a straight line, it absolutely destroys it on any kind of road course, autocross, or real-life situation.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...

Last edited by Carrera26; 07-06-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #8
SVT4ME

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceboy9191
mmm evos are not that fast...
Really?? What do you consider fast? According to this link http://www.modernracer.com/mitsubishilancerevo8.html the Evo does 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and the quarter mile in almost 13 seconds flat. I would consider that pretty damn fast, and those stats make it faster than an SRT-4 by quite a bit.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
svt4chris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8821
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 svt4chris Good Standing Member
As far as spending is concerned, for Carrera26, I don't want the payments to get higher than 300 per month for financing, assuming I trade in my car. I did a quote on a used IS300, and with trade-in the monthly bill was about 235. I could probably afford more, but I don't want this endeavor to leave me strapped for cash for the rest of my college years.

When's the Mazdaspeed 3 coming out? I haven't even heard of it yet.

Realistically, if I did want to go through with this whole thing I should get something that I really want, not settle cuz I want to pay less. I didn't know that the IS300 was quite so boring, but I guess I could see that. The good news about the Mazdaspeed 6 is that it doesn't come out for awhile, so I'd be able to give that one plenty of thought.

Alright, here's a few more ideas for cars that I just came up with:

Audi A4 or used S4
BMW 3-Series (coupe preferred)
Audi A6 w/ 2.7T
Mini Cooper
Audi TT
Acura TSX

If y'all have any others to suggest, feel free. Bear in mind, as I said, that I want something with more luxury, and, though power isn't a surpreme concern, get up 'n go is definitely taken into account. Keep the comments coming please!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
SVT4ME

Quote:
Originally posted by svt4chris
I didn't know that the IS300 was quite so boring, but I guess I could see that.
Well look at it this way, it doesn't (according to the stats) perform any better than the car you have now, it's only advantage is being more "luxurious" but it's disadvantage is that it's going to be older than the car you've got, most likely. And since it's been around for four or five years now and the design wasn't "radical" to begin with, it's looking pretty stale in the style department, but admittedly that's just my opinion.

The problem with virtually every car you've listed so far besides the Lexus, Acura, and maybe the Infiniti, is that they aren't known for being the most trouble-free or low maintenance cars. Something to consider alongside the monthly payment, insurance, and gas bill, when you're a college student.

Take the BMW for example, when you go into a BMW ownership one of the things you have to take for granted is that it's going to require more maintenance than a comparable Japanese car, and that it will cost more (sometimes considerably more) to perform that maintenance. That's why BMW now offers such a comprehensive warranty on new cars that includes oil changes and scheduled maintenance, because owners were balking at the high cost of service.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->