Tires for my SVT - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
MikeSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 652
What I Drive: 1995 Pontiac Firehawk

FF Reputation: 1 MikeSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tires for my SVT

I'm thinking of picking up a set of Blizzacks for winter, but was wondering what tire I should pick up for summer. I don't want an all season tire, since I will have a set of winter tires. I was thinking about these:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...odeIndex=33147

or

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...odeIndex=43846

Which ones should I go with, or any other options you guys would recommend?

Thanks guys!

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
I also lurk at the Miata web sites since I own one as well. A Miata is one of the best handling cars built and tire selection is absolutely critical to maintaining it. Guys spend big bucks to find the right combinations. While a Miata is not a Focus the research spent by countless miata owners to find superior tires benefits everyone. The following tires have been found to be reasonably economical, have decent mileage, are lightweight, and have excellent manners both on the road and for performance purposes. All come in the size you are looking at -(215/45-17).

SumitomoHTR-Z (good performance price ratio), Goodyear Eagle F1GSD3, Yokohama ES100, Kumho Ecsta MX (this is probably the best performance tire there is for the price right now), Kumho 711, Falken 512 (heavier than others) and Dunlop SP FM901

The Kumho 712 is getting dated. When it came out over five years ago it was a damn good tire for the price. Seems like everyone has caught up to it and provides a better tire including Kumho. The 712's are a little hard by todays standards. The original AVS was an outstanding tire, a true performance tire. The new one made a lot of compromises and as such, does not live up to the reputation of the original. The Yoko ES100 is probably a better choice than the current AVS.

Please note that most of the tires mentioned are summer tires (not an all season tire) and would perform poorly in winter conditions.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
Gwizzy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 758
What I Drive: 2009 White Pontiac G8 GT

FF Reputation: 9 Gwizzy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had the Goodyear Eagle F1's on my 2002 Mazda Miata... They were great!!! They had a grip on dry & wet pavement like no other!!

Goodyear Eagle F1
#61 of 3985 built
(1 of only 63 blue/black 3 door)

Last edited by Gwizzy; 01-09-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
I have the F1's on my car, and I am amazed at their wet and dry grip ability, couple with a much smoother ride than even the 195/60-15 all-season's I had on the car. These are great tires, and they have excellent wear ratings, I've got 3K on em, and you'd be hard pressed to think they weren't brand new. Tough to do with a Max Performance tire. Tire rack has a review and comparison on these with some Michelins and the Bridgestone Potenza S-03's You should check it out.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
MikeSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 652
What I Drive: 1995 Pontiac Firehawk

FF Reputation: 1 MikeSVT Good Standing Member
Cool, thanks guys; that was a really good reply Geezer, it helped me out a lot thanks!

-Mike

Bookmarks & Social Networks