Custom L7 box questions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Gothy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19872
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Gothy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Custom L7 box questions

I'm currently working on building a 2.2 CF sealed box for my 12" L7. So far, the box is constructed. I used 3/4 MDF, E6000 industrial strength glue, some screws near the corners, and caulked the inside of the box. My questions are:

1. my terminal cup has no screw holes. will the glue be enough to hold it in?
2. Is it a good idea to coat the box in fiberglass resin jelly to keep it strong and air tight, as well as paintable?
3. I planed to use the screws to mount the sub that were with my ported box. I think they're 1". Is this ok?
4. Do I really need to use all 8 screws when mounting the sub, since I plan to use Liquid Nails when I mount it? The only reason I worry is because I have about 1/4th of an inch of MDF on the top and bottom before it joins the other sheet of wood. I'm afraid of splitting the panel that connects to the pannel I'm mounting to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
DetroitBass
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23602
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 DetroitBass Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Re: Custom L7 box questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Gothy

1. my terminal cup has no screw holes. will the glue be enough to hold it in?

It should. Terminal cups usually leak air anyways. For all of the installs I've ever done (I've done tons, I do it for a living) I don't even use terminal cups. Simply drill a hole the size of the speaker wire, run the wire in the box, then silicone the hell out of it. Do it good and guarentee no leakage.

2. Is it a good idea to coat the box in fiberglass resin jelly to keep it strong and air tight, as well as paintable?

if the box was built well you shouldn't have to, but if you have any doubts you may as well do it. Strength isn't really an issue, honestly. Getting 3/4" MDF to flex is nearly impossible, and with a single L7 you will be fine.

3. I planed to use the screws to mount the sub that were with my ported box. I think they're 1". Is this ok?

Yes, those will work fine.

4. Do I really need to use all 8 screws when mounting the sub, since I plan to use Liquid Nails when I mount it? The only reason I worry is because I have about 1/4th of an inch of MDF on the top and bottom before it joins the other sheet of wood. I'm afraid of splitting the panel that connects to the pannel I'm mounting to.

Yes, you need to. You need all 8 screws to make sure that the subwoofer is 100% air tight. I WOULD NOT USE LIQUID NAILS TO HOLD THE SUBWOOFER ON. There is no point in doing this! If you are worried about air leaking, go get some thin weatherstripping from your local ardware store and put it around the mounting ring on the subwoofer. Use all 8 screws, it will be plenty. My subwoofers weigh 65 pounds each, and the screws are plenty to hold them. Just predrill the holes and you should have no worries of it splitting.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Bluefocusx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5590
FF Reputation: 1 Bluefocusx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
only 65 pounds? Mine weigh 95 ;-P

AIM: Bluereiger
Old 07-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
DetroitBass
Focus Addict

And anyone who knows about subs knows that weight alone cannot determine how good sounding/loud a subwoofer can get. More weight does not equal better.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7987
What I Drive: 01 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusInCali Good Standing Member
I think he was just having fun with the weight.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
DetroitBass
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FocusInCali
I think he was just having fun with the weight.
Yah it's been a long day. But in that case, our 1987 Chevy van is better then a Corvette!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7987
What I Drive: 01 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusInCali Good Standing Member
Great on high-speed curves too!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:53 AM   #8
Bluefocusx
Focus Addict

200 bucks says my gremlin takes your van.

On a side note. Not wieght isnt everything, but your speakers are gonna be heavy if they are worth a shit. Small ass magnets = Small ass bass. Thats not saying a 90 pound sub is better than an 80 pound sub as some subs have less "show" stuff built on which can save some weight.

I have yet to see a Good sub with a Small magnet. You dont see good subs with the same size magnet you see on Sony 6.5"'s lol.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
SQFocusZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4729
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 SQFocusZTS Good Standing Member
I tend to disagree. On the whole, yes, a larger magnet will create a larger magnetic field, which helps the speaker's voice coil. Though, there was a company that used to be on the market, maybe 2-5 years ago. Their 2nd Gen speakers only had a 85oz magnet, and they were pulling in the numbers. The company was called Atomic Thunder - not to be confused with Atomic Loudspeakers. The company no longer exists, and the head now works for Earthquake Sound i believe... The speakers were amazing. They cost $180 retail (15"), and $160(12"). they were plain jane, but cars were doing 160+... their extreme 1-2 was doing high 160's/low 170's...

like i said, i agree mostly, but always like to throw a monkey wrench in there.

-john
SQF

Certified MASTER Installer
one of 72 in the world...
Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Bluefocusx
Focus Addict

Well i didnt mean it that it was IMPOSSIBLE to do, but 99.9% of every good smashing sub has a gigantor magnet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks