Installed Pro-M MAFS now BAD Misfire... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
PortugalFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13418
What I Drive: 05 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Spd

FF Reputation: 1 PortugalFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Installed Pro-M MAFS now BAD Misfire...

Well yesterday I received my Pro-M MAFS from silverhaze18 in the mail. I removed my old OE MAFS on my CAI and installed the new Pro-M. I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and then reconnected it. I starded up the car and lost of black smoke emitted from the tailpipe. (non-burnt fuel) It has a very low idle and almost dies at times. So I went and swapped the CAI and put the short ram back on. Well, the same thing happened. No difference. I took my t-body off to see if there were any clogs or something had fallen down the intake. Nothing that was visible. So I disconnected battery again for about 30 mins and I re-installed the OE MAFS. Well the car still did the same thing after the PCM was reset. The CEL came on. So as a test to see if anything changed, while the car was running I disconnected the MAFS plug, no change in the car's reaction, then I reconnected that, and disconnected the TPS, no change either. Then I disconnected both the MAFS and TPS. Still no change. So today I took the wife's car to work and I will find out what the CEL code is. It baffles me really. Should I leave the battery disconnected longer and hope everything resets? Is there a master reset button/relay/fuse that I can pull to reset the PCM back to default settings?

Any input is appreciated!

Shorty w/ HKS Filter / JBA Shorty Header / Ported TB / Early Style Intake Manifold/ Ractive 9 mm Wires/ Autolite Platinum Plugs/ 2.25" Mandrel Exhaust/ SCS Short Thow Shifter / Front Strut Bar

Focus Shop Cup Front Lip/ Painted Front Grille Signals / CF M3's/ De-Badgged / Focus Badges Over the Blue Ford Ovals

Panasonic / American Legacy / Stinger / Audiobahn / Q-Logic

But I traded her in......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
PortugalFocus
Focus Enthusiast

possibility of a bad O2 all of a sudden? I know they can cause freak things........

if it is an O2 can I put a cheater on it to make it run ok?

Shorty w/ HKS Filter / JBA Shorty Header / Ported TB / Early Style Intake Manifold/ Ractive 9 mm Wires/ Autolite Platinum Plugs/ 2.25" Mandrel Exhaust/ SCS Short Thow Shifter / Front Strut Bar

Focus Shop Cup Front Lip/ Painted Front Grille Signals / CF M3's/ De-Badgged / Focus Badges Over the Blue Ford Ovals

Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
elitekorri
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10376
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 5 SPEED

FF Reputation: 1 elitekorri Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yes a cheater will work for exhaust o2 readings... they are "freakish"... but a MAF/S shouldn't cause this issue.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
blazealm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5741
What I Drive: 2000 pitch blk focus se sport zetec

FF Reputation: 1 blazealm Good Standing Member
the pro m maf its not rated for stock injectors the same thing happen to me so i put the oe one back on and it was find the pro m maf u got was probaly rated for 42 # injectors and not the 19 # the stock focus comes with best thing to do is get it chiped or have ur pro m recalibrated for 19 # injectors
ati procharger, focus central 4-2-1 header, magnaflow catback exhaust magnaflow high flow cat, pro m 70mm maf sensor, focus central 65 mm throttle body, ford racing 9mm wires, ngk plugs, ford racing 42 lb injectors, eibach prokit springs
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
elitekorri
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10376
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 5 SPEED

FF Reputation: 1 elitekorri Good Standing Member
did you reinstall the MAF housing and MAFS with OE? or just the MAFS in the PRO M housing?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yeah, without tuning, that MAF is just going to make you run so lean that you'll misfire and stall out. the computer doesn't know that there's a lot more air coming in yet
Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
PortugalFocus
Focus Enthusiast

I reinstalled the OE and the car runs fine... a freakish thing really. I put my shorty back on for the rainy season here in FL. I will put the CAI back on in November.

MODS please lock this thread.

Bookmarks & Social Networks