ignition locked up - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #41
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"now i carry a bottle of wd40 with me all the time."

You might want to consider replacing the lock cylinder before it quits working with the WD-40. If you get it stuck to where you cannot turn the cylinder, even with the WD-40, and need to have it drilled-out, it will be much more costly. A preventative replacement might be wise before you have a total failure at an inopportune time/place and need a tow to get it fixed.

This is a known weak-spot in the Focus and it sounds as if your cylinder is on its way to total failure at some point in the future.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005, 04:27 PM   #42
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Dont forget you guys to let me know if you want to get a new one built, PM me if you do.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #43
kapler18
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42686
FF Reputation: 1 kapler18 Good Standing Member
praise to b16sir1991

If you have a locked up ignition cylinder b16sir1991 can definitely hook you up with what you need.

I got EVERYTHING I needed to fix my car for $65/shipped. - It was a life saver, and I installed everything in less than 10 minutes.

Definitely go through Mike, don't get ripped off paying $300 at the dealer.

-Brad
Old 01-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #44
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Pay atttention to B16! There are many, many people on this list that will vouch for him. Look at his buy/sell/trade rating - I'll bet that a large number of those ratings are for IC's.
One of the threads on here shows a pic of the new cylinder style and the old cylinder style. It turns our I had the old style and I changed mine out as a precautionary measure. The guys that drilled can tell you it's no fun, if you can still turn the key it's all of about a 20 minute job (max) to swap the cylinder out.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #45
sonjay1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50475
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sonjay1 Good Standing Member
Thumbs down ....Tierd

Hey guys, what a frustrating week it has been... first I had my front coil springs snap on me, costing me $345.00 to have replaced, later finding out that they are covered for repair at no charge at a ford dealership, although I didnt have the springs replaced there, so I got screwed... Suddenly 1 freaking day after I get the springs replaced my ignition cylinder siezes and locks up... Now after hours of researching and arguments with ford customer "service" on the phone I find that there are two options of solution to this ongoing problem...
1) Pay $656.43 at ford to have a new cylinder put in so that the problem will be resolved for a short period of time (In understanding that many people have had the same issue reoccur time and time again...), leaving me with the option of just leaving the key in the ignition permanently...
2) Drilling out my cylinder and having no tumblers, leaving my car accesable to any street thug with a screwdriver...
Or 3) Leaving my car unlocked in forest lawn with the key in the ignition, until my car is stolen so that I can claim insurance and be done with the whole mind(uck of woundering what my ford is going to pull tommorrow...

Right now it seems as option 1 and 2 will just eventually lead to my car being stolen which revolves back to option 3, I might as well do it now... BUT in the mean time, do me a favour and sign the petetion to get ford to recognize that this is an issue they should be resolving for their customers!

http://www.petitiononline.com/FocusIC/petition.html
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #46
sonjay1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50475
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sonjay1 Good Standing Member
Hey guys, what a frustrating week it has been... first I had my front coil springs snap on me, costing me $345.00 to have replaced, later finding out that they are covered for repair at no charge at a ford dealership, although I didnt have the springs replaced there, so I got screwed... Suddenly 1 freaking day after I get the springs replaced my ignition cylinder siezes and locks up... Now after hours of researching and arguments with ford customer "service" on the phone I find that there are two options of solution to this ongoing problem...
1) Pay $656.43 at ford to have a new cylinder put in so that the problem will be resolved for a short period of time (In understanding that many people have had the same issue reoccur time and time again...), leaving me with the option of just leaving the key in the ignition permanently...
2) Drilling out my cylinder and having no tumblers, leaving my car accesable to any street thug with a screwdriver...
Or 3) Leaving my car unlocked in forest lawn with the key in the ignition, until my car is stolen so that I can claim insurance and be done with the whole mind(uck of woundering what my ford is going to pull tommorrow...

Right now it seems as option 1 and 2 will just eventually lead to my car being stolen which revolves back to option 3, I might as well do it now... BUT in the mean time, do me a favour and sign the petetion to get ford to recognize that this is an issue they should be resolving for their customers!

http://www.petitiononline.com/FocusIC/petition.html
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #47
dajuiceman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45935
What I Drive: 2002 blue focus lx (my wifes car)

FF Reputation: 1 dajuiceman Good Standing Member
hello everyone, i've done a search about this problem with the ignition cylinder but I havent seen anything about the buying the cylinder at auto zone. I have a 2002 focus that is having this ignition problem and i've done the wd 40 thing quite a few times but now it's about to the point of complete failure. My question is could I buy this part http://www.autozone.com/R,APP389862/...ductDetail.htm from autozone and install this in my car without problems. I realize that i would have to original key to unlock the doors and the new key that comes with the new cylinder. I didnt see anything about anyone buying this part so I wasnt sure if it can be used or if maybe auto zone just started stocking them. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #48
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I've had my ignition cylinder lock on my 3 times, with my 2003 Focus.
This happened again yesterday... I opened my car door to plug in my seat-belt harness to get rid of the air-bag light. The car was making that chime sound, and it annoyed my girl-friend who then removed the key, but left the tip of the key in to just stop the chime.

I got back in the car, and yea, my ignition cylinder was locked. I was calm, even though my girlfriend was like "OMG, i ruined your car... Sorry...". I told her not to freak out, and that I would just give the car some of time... After 4-5 Minutes of removing the key, and inserting, and just kinda making micro-movements with the key... It eventually gave in with moderate force (not extreme force)... and then a tad more force, and it turned over completely.

The previous 1 time the ignition locked... I did the above technique.
the 2nd time it locked, I gave up and used the spare key, and with the above technique... It worked.... Just gotta have faith some-times. (unless it's totally jacked up....)

Also, you don't want to use WD-40... Graphite spray lubricant is best.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #49
MaroonZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
To everyone who is having a nearly locked up keyswitch, do yourself a huge favor and replace it with the new style switch. b16sir1991 on this board works at Hilbish Ford and will ship you a new switch for under 100 bucks. Or go to your Ford dealer and pick one up locally. It takes about 30 minutes to replace. If it locks up for good, you will have to tow the car and have the switch drilled out, which adds up to hundreds of dollars.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #50
jms45
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50898
What I Drive: 2004 BLUE FOCUS

FF Reputation: 1 jms45 Good Standing Member
Locked Ignition

newer cars all have this problem not just ford focus yes even toyota's there is a simple repair. on most ignitions the tumblers are stuck in the up position thats why the key will still go in. take a box wrench and tap on the metal of the ignition switch. this should free the tumblers to the down position may have to do this more then once need to vibrate the tumblers down. try key to turn once free coat key with graphate. auto stores carry this item.back to the cause of this ignition switch is every time keys are in pocket or purse they collect lent and dirt. hope this will help anybody using this forum

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.