TSD street rally,Sat July12, in Rockland Cnty NY (starts in PalisadesMall,Nyack) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > North East Fanatics

North East Fanatics Serving the Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New England, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
TrboMike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120801
What I Drive: rust

FF Reputation: 1 TrboMike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TSD street rally,Sat July12, in Rockland Cnty NY (starts in PalisadesMall,Nyack)

Time Speed Distance (gimmick/trick) NIGHT rally starting in Nyack NY at the Palisades Center Mall on Saturday night July 12th at 7pm.

http://www.wscc.org/flyers/2014SummerRallyFlyer.pdf

Registration from 5pm to 6:30, drivers meeting at 6:30, first car off at 7pm. Novice meeting at 6:15, these are HARD trick rallies. Cars leave in 1 minute intervals from your car number, so first come first start. Should be about 2-4 hours (usually 3ish). You need TWO people (driver and navigator), and $20 per car ($10 each). Recommended: a pen, something to write on on the nav's lap (like a clipboard), a basic calculator (or a nav who likes math), a small light like an LED so the nav can read the instructions and write, and a watch/clock with seconds that you can easily reset to the rallymaster's time. Rally computers, GPS systems, and lights above headlight level not allowed. Trophies for the winners of each class.

What is it? A TimeSpeedDistance (TSD) rally has an "average speed" that you should follow through the rally. Its set BELOW the speed limit. The rally instructions are very tricky and you're looking for stuff at night (ie: make 3rd left after the word "STRINGS", or make second acute right, etc) so you're going to make a few bad turns. After you figure out you're in the wrong place you have to backtrack to the correct turn without getting lost, then speed up to get back to your "average speed" (where you would be if you didnt get lost). There are hidden signs along the course you need to mark down, and hidden checkpoints where you pull over and they record what time you came in. Points are given for every second early or late to each checkpoint, and for each sign missed or put out of order. Lowest points win.

So questions like "is this illegal" or "dude this is awesome I'm gona go 175mph" or "wont we all get arrested" are silly since thats not what the rally is about. Some people do it in minivans with their kids in the backseat helping look for turns. If you make a wrong turn or get lost, its up to you if you choose you catch up slowly and safely and risk hitting a checkpoint and getting lots of points, or if you drive like an ass and risk getting pulled over by a cop or taking risks so you can make up time as quickly as possible and get a better score. There will be mostly twisty hilly backroads where you probably will never see a cop, but they are also public roads and you take any risks on your own. I can guaranty you will enjoy them a lot more in a sports car "taking a few risks" than a minivan full of kids tho. Some people will choose to have a nice ride down some twisty windy backroads in the dark, some people will get way lost and come into checkpoints late and gets lots of points, and some people will choose to drive in a manner to make up time each time they get lost and have a blast down some twicked roads. Its all up to the drivers. The roads are awesome and usually including some dirt and gravel roads, but nothing a lowered car couldn’t handle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
fawzie13R
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71759
What I Drive: '09 LT Blue Focus SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 fawzie13R Good Standing Member
Sounds really fun but Its to far from me.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
TrboMike
Focus Rookie

Yeah 5 hours to driving to do a 4 hour rally isnt much fun.

You should look for autox and rally clubs near you. They're awesome and I bet you have some nice backroads up by you.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
TrboMike
Focus Rookie

Bump. Its this Saturday. Did a test run last night these roads are fun fun fun!

Bookmarks & Social Networks