UDP's - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-25-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
rockthezx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2116
What I Drive: 05 Silver WRX Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rockthezx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
UDP's

Ok I'm ordering the Focus Central UDP's just cause I can. I'm just wondering if they're really worth it. And from what I remember, I read on here someone said they're not good when you're supercharging your car, dunno if that's true or not. Also, is installing them a pain in the ass?

...now with dyno tuned stage 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Spec3VR6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21309
What I Drive: 95 BMW M3

FF Reputation: 1 Spec3VR6 Good Standing Member
i just had them installed at a shop because i left my tools and impact gun at my moms house, lol

from what he said...it was a pain in the ass because there's lots of stuff in the way, so its not that easy to get around. But i dont know. i didnt really check it out all THAT much.

i like them so far. first and 2nd gear seem to rev a little more freely. Butt dyno senses some more power. acording to FC....4-5 whp with that kit, ive seen some dynos and theyve all backed up that claim for the most part
Old 06-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
no_peg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18993
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 no_peg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
But the big question concerning UDP's is engine life!!!
Old 06-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Spec3VR6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21309
What I Drive: 95 BMW M3

FF Reputation: 1 Spec3VR6 Good Standing Member
the engines are internally balanced so that isnt an issue at all.

if anything it might help it in the long run because there is alot less stress on key moving parts.

I wouldn't worry about the pulleys any more then strapping on a supercharger or a turbokit
Old 06-26-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
UDP's aren't worth it if you plan on supercharging because the UDP would underdrive the supercharger (less boost).

I have the 2 piece Focus Central UDP installed on my SVT. IMO, it's worth it. I had a friend (also a member at FF) install them for me. They didn't seem too hard to do and there really isn't too much in the way. I didn't have an impact or experience... it also gave me a reason to meet up with another member.

We removed the 2 reservoirs on the passenger side, motor mount, and passenger tire. We used a floor jack to move the motor up to get to the pulleys. Reverse the process and you are finished. It would have been easier if we would have used a lift, but it was pretty easy with jackstands and a jack.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:41 AM   #6
FocusChef
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 229
What I Drive: Black 00 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusChef Good Standing Member
if you plan on installing a large sound system in your car, I wouldn't recommend UDP's. the whole purpose of the UDP's is to underdrive your accessories so that it frees up more power for the engine. if you have a large system in your car, even with capasitors (sp?) you run the risk of killin the engine.

www.clubdd.net
Old 06-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #7
sdreschsvt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 22663
What I Drive: 02 silver svt

FF Reputation: 1 sdreschsvt Good Standing Member
udp

look at ebay under "focus central" have a set cheap. just got mine for 61.00,will be putting them on sat july2.Could not wait any longer put them on wde. night took 1 hour.The hard part is getting the water pump pulley lined up and bolts in.Need to have impact for crank off and on. was really easy only called focus central once.good luck, Scott

Last edited by sdreschsvt; 06-30-2005 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Spec3VR6
the engines are internally balanced so that isnt an issue at all.
DAMMIT, THIS ISN'T WHY UDP'S CAN BE HARMFUL TO YOUR ENGINE. This issue has been beaten to death and people still spread bad information. The SVT engine is internally balanced, but no matter how well balanced an engine is it will never be harmonically balanced. This means that every engine and its components have natural frequencies that can be set off at certain engine speeds due to all of the movement and rotation of parts in the engine. In this case, take a look at the back of your stock crank pulley when you take it off... it is largely rubber. This is to help damp out the vibrations which can wreak havoc on an engine.

Now, is the chance of an engine or component going into resonance high? No, but it is substantial enough that Ford makes every one of their crank pulleys a harmonic balancer or damper. I have decided that the extra tq and hp are worth the minimal risk until I get my FI setup. But don't let someone con you into believing there is no risk simply because the engine is internally balanced.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
popecruz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17124
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 popecruz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Im gonna install mine, and when the engine detonates, im gonna buy a new car, that runs 12's, not 15's.
All your hard work and training for AutoX and you get sliding off the road and jacking your suspension named after you. That sucks.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
spin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27633
What I Drive: 03 SVTF, 92 3000GT VR4, Duc ST3S

FF Reputation: 4 spin Good Standing Member
I would not get one. Though they are a PULLEY, they are not any longer HARMONIC DAMPENERS. The original purpose of that heavy disc on the front of all car engines is as a harmonic dampener.

A crank is a long, rigid metal shape; if you tap with a hammer it "rings" (especially forged cranks; cast cranks have some internal dampening). So what? Well, a hammer hitting it is only ONE way to cause the crank to RESONATE and exhibit harmonic VIBRATIONS. Another way is to RUN the engine! The engine is a vibration factory (as we all know)...and if left undamped, crank harmonics can build up at certain (harmonic) rpms and these vibrations DON'T just disappear, they have to be DISSIPATED! The best way to dissipate them is via the SPECIFICALLY-DESIGNED-TO-DO-THIS "Harmonic Dampener" hanging off the front of the crank. It has an elastomeric (rubber) isolator between the hub and the HEAVY outer ring, and is as a unit, designed to damp harmonics at the critical frequencies seen by the crank.

The heavier the outer ring, the better it damps, and the higher its efficiency at damping. NASCAR LONGtrack engines use HEAVY dampeners, to allow the bearings to live the long race length; the shorter the race, the more often the bearings get changed (after EVERY RACE), the LIGHTER a dampener can be used because lighter is a little faster to accelerate the engine due to lower rotational inertia. You are trading bearing/crank life for speed. Where do YOU want to go on this? Are you lucky?

The OTHER way to damp harmonic energy (which MUST GO SOMEWHERE) is through the main bearings, into the main bearing saddles on the BLOCK. This can cause premature wear/fatigue/flaking of main bearings, and cracks in the main bearing saddles on the block. This is a poor tradeoff for "an underdrive pulley".

Does this ALWAYS happen? No. Some people may not push their cars very hard very often; some may not do longtrack racing; some may not keep their cars long enough to discover the bearing wear, or to crack anything; the underlying design may be robust enough to cover over this MISTAKE in parts selection. There is a pretty big industry in harmonic dampeners, different TECHNIQUES for dampening (Fluidampr, ATI, BHJ, "The Rattler", etc) but they ALL DAMPEN HARMONICS because it is important. There may be some FREQUENTLY REBUILT race engines (?CART) that are not using dampeners but IF you think their ENGINEERS have not taken crank harmonics into account in their multi-multimillion dollar engine design, THEN there are worthless bridges to be sold to you...and foolish pennywise-pound foolish _NON DAMPENING_ "PULLEYS" to be sold.

It gets down to this. Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya...? [Clint would say "punk" but that isn't my direction, just a good line ] This is an insult to your engine's health. It MAY take it in stride; but it is an offense. I respect my hardworking engine too much to burden it with the sometimes insane levels of harmonics that can occur without harmonic dampener protection. Where else are you going to cut corners? What other basic enginebuilding good practices is one going to spit on, and WHICH will be the straw that breaks the camel's back...eventually?

Last edited by spin; 10-17-2005 at 05:27 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks