SVT owners: Post Reviews of your Clutch/Flywheel Combo! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
sexy2002svt
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Question SVT owners, what clutch/flywheel combination did you go for and why?

Since it seems that every day that I come on here, there's a new thread about how someones dual mass flywheel and clutch has taken a pooop on them, especially the 2002's.............I thought i would make a kind of review thread (maybe someone can make this a sticky?) of the Brand of clutch and flywheel (if you got a one at the same time) that you got for your SVT.........So this is kinda gonna be like the "post reviews of your tune" thread, just different questions............

1. What Brand Clutch and flywheel did you go for?
2. How long you have had that combination?
3. How much you paid for it, and where you got it for that price?
4. What is your overall review of that combination/ would you reccomend that combination to anyone else?
5. Did you install it yourself, or did you have a shop do it for you? If you had someone else do it, how much was the labor?
6. Post any sound clips you may have of the new clutch/flywheel combo.

Also much like the other thread, i would like this to stay pretty much argument free, with just posting the facts

hopefully this will help some of my fellow SVTers out when they have to go shopping for thier own combination.............

Last edited by sexy2002svt; 06-22-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
Svt4life
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Brand Of clutch - Clutchmasters stage 3
Brand of flywheel - Fidanza
Cost - together 863 w/ shipping from ultrarev.com
Recommendation - yeah i'd recommend this over the stock. if ur having problems with ur clutch dying every 2-3 months and ur sick of doing the tsb's or ur dealership is just giving u crap. I'd do this its prolly one of the better mods you can do. The car rev's very easily and screams off the line. The only downside is when ur going up hills u lost the momentum due to a lightened flywheel but u can always downshift and get urself going. if i had the chance to i would have went with the stage 4 there is less chatter with that clutch but i'll live with mine as long as it still works

Labor - ford did the labor for me they already had torn down the engine so i just let them go ahead and put it in cost me 600$ all together for the labor

Clips - sorry no sound or video clips but i have a video of my car in the works stay tuned
Old 07-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Dave
Focus Addict

Fan#: 507
FF Reputation: 1 Dave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have clutchmasters stage 4 clutch and lightweight flywheel. Don't remember what I pad, but it was pretty pricey at the time. I bought it from Tom at focus power, very good customer service BTW. Anyways, I am happy with performance of the clutch, its a bit grabby, but not bad, revs good with lightened flywheel and all around feels pretty good. It is pretty hard to launch decent though, were I could slip the hell out of stock clutch to get decent 60', and I can't seem to do that with this clutch. Other than that I absolutely hate it though, it is very noisy, very bad clutch chatter at idle and just always makes some kind of weird noises, ifI had it to do again I would probably just keep stock flywheel and get centerforce (wasn't out at time) or just go through stock clutches. I have put almost 20,000 on the new clutch setup, it just sounds so god awful its not worth it to me. Anytime someone hear's my car they think I have like a unsprung multi-disk clutch or something.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 AM   #4
SVTonN2OinKs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25299
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SVTonN2OinKs Good Standing Member
I have the Clutchmasters stage 4 & Fidanza Flywheel Combo I also replaced the Slave Cylinder/Throwout bearing Assy due to the rattle can noise it was making. Prices will follow. Anyway, performance wise this is a good combo, the driveability isn't bad unless you are in stop and go traffic. The clutch engages very quickly and just sucks in stop and go. The pedal feel is nice and is easier to press in then stock. The SVTF kind of bogs off the line anyway in low RPM's so the lightened flyweel isn't a major issue if you can tolerate the noise allowed by the Aluminum piece. Gear rollover noise sucks and it is loud. The flywheel changes the engine tone slightly. Acceleration is improved and middle and low end is much better. Basically I am happy with the performace so far ( 7 K miles ) but the noise is a bit annoying.

Prices;

CM Stage 4 , 469.00>> Turbo Tom
Fidanza Flywheel, Atlantic Speed, 338.00
Slave Cylinder/ Throwout Bearing,100.00
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
belacyrf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
1. Clutchmasters Stg IV / FocusSport Flywheel
2. 10K Miles
3. Clutch = 470.00 from Tom, Flwheel = 395.00 from FS?
4. This clutch is crap. Not all CM Stg IV's are crap, just this one, it doesn't hold for anything?
5. Shop installed it, labory was 375.00 for clutch. Flywheel was installed a year earlier.
6. Sounds of my clutch?

Just a note on the CM Stage IV. I have friends that have had no problems with their clutch. Mine has never worked right from Day 1. The problem is either the install or the Clutch itself. I'm leaning toward the clutch being bad, seeing as how others have had this problem as well but I can't say for sure. Either way, I'm moving to a Spec Stage III next and we'll see how that goes.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
PDX1594
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3609
What I Drive: '03 Silver SVTF 3d

FF Reputation: 1 PDX1594 Good Standing Member
1. Spec stage two/Fidanza flywheel
2. $480.-clutch/$333. flywheel-from Torquefreaks(Portland)
3. 3,500. miles
4. dealer installed for $80. when they replaced trans #3
5. flywheel makes for very free-revving top end. Noticeably better throttle response. Changes the car's personality a lot. Had a lot of clutch chatter first 1k miles. Like the crisp uptake. Hate the noise! Clutch a waste of money, especially compared to factory updated unit, which was totally adequate.
Triax shifter, Magnaflow catback, AEM cai, 24mm rear swaybar, Plasma Booster, F/C T/B, Gax coilovers(BAT), Spec 2 clutch w/Fidanza flywheel,Goodyear Eagle GS-D3s,EAP interior, Team Dynamics Race 1 wheels(16.5#)

Last edited by PDX1594; 07-17-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
3 Replies deleted.
Please keep replies in this thread related to the original subject matter.
Just the facts please.
Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:51 AM   #8
SVTkonig
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18768
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT 2 door

FF Reputation: 1 SVTkonig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Centerforce #253 stage three clutch- $813
Fidanza 9lb aluminium flywheel- $619
slave cyl.- $129
labor- $275
Awesome setup but not worth what i had to pay for it though. supposedly it lasts a really long time and when it comes to replaceing it the contact points are interchangable so i'll never have to replace the whole parts. I think the thing for the flywheel is only $80. very minimal noise too. I love how it pulls now though. i'm sure with my other mods i can run down an srt-4 or maybe a wrx ( i tried tonight). getting ready to throw it on the dyno.

Here's what mommy should have told you to do when you downshift:
1. Step on the clutch
2. Simultaneously slide the shifter into a lower gear and give the throttle a quick, amazingly precise jab to rev the engine to exactly the rpm it needs to be at in the next gear
3. Quickly let out the clutch

Oh sure, It takes a few thousand tries before you get the timing and precision of your jab just right, but the reward is that you no longer suck.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #9
CrispyBurn
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15281
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT / 07 gsx r600

FF Reputation: 1 CrispyBurn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Spec stage 1 (sprung disk) $450
Fidanza flywheel $300 from a user on FJ
install $350

clutch engages very quick. the pedal is much lighter than stock. a little loud but that is because of the flywheel... great mod overall... just have to get used to the sound of the flywheel... kinda sounds like a bad throw out bearing but it was replaced with the spec kit. flywheel makes a huge difference when accelerating... I highly recommend this setup...
Old 09-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #10
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
1. Spec stg 2 and Fidanza 9lb
2. about a month now, approx 2000 miles or so
3. clutch from auto exotica in C-bus OH, i got it at cost and was like $390 or something, the
the flywheel i got off ebay from some place wayne (hypnotic) said he did buisness through
so i knew it was the right one and was $330 shipped.
4. I love it, clutch grabs real good and doesnt feel any different than stock, flywheel helps this
thing rev like crazy, esp in the top end, rattles alittle but thats not a big deal.
5. I had auto exotica do it for me, they charged me alittle more than they probably should
have, i paid half the labor and it was like $300 something

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler

Bookmarks & Social Networks