$200 steeda short ram,custom short ram...priceless! - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #31
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27202
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3,Egg Yolk Yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Toolman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Borrowed a camera for a few minutes - below is a picture of my finished result. (There's a bigger picture in my Photo Album.) It's not as pretty as a Steeda by any means, but I find it hard to believe the Steeda is going to provide any more horsepower - even the Steeda leaves the accordian stock piece in place. On the upside - because it's stock parts except for the filter - it looks stock.
I think my filter is bigger than ZXRR's - I had to push it down lower to keep it from riding too high (it would have interferred with the hood), so mine is like hanging down lower than his, in that first picture of this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sri_small4.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	7903  

Team Duratec #20, ATX Faction #11
Enkei wheels,HPS Intake, Ported TB, Tein S Tech springs,SVT shocks,Billet Grills,Debadged,Custom Exhaust,Black Headlights,tinted tails & markers,12" Polk GNX124 Sub, Polk db571 front speakers, Panasonic HU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #32
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Looks like the same K&N knockoff I used with mine. I added some rubber friction tape to the tip on mine so it wouldn't rattle.

Nice battery cover LOL @ no-name speakers.... some of my loudest boxes came from some of the cheapest most worthless looking speakers, the best part is, if someone steals it: it's not as big of a deal.

More power to ya!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #33
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I could never justify spending $150+ for a short ram intake, i would either make my own or spend the extra for a CAI. Now with my HIA SR, i sold my CAI for $145, so i only ended up paying like $5 out of pocket so i bought one.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 01-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #34
jmotank
"Party Pic WHORE"

Fan#: 10320
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 jmotank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
well, for us duratecr's, the only possibility for a short ram is $230!!! that's insane. if someone would come out with a better priced SRI, i'm sure it would be a seller. but i am certainlt making my own for $30, and spending the other $200 elswhere. (for the car ofcourse)!!!!!
ST crew #29
team DURATEC #53
MBRP exhaust, SRI, BFG G-Force sports, Steeda STS, painted stock rims, 1 12" diamond audio D6 sub, 3201T audiobahn amp, JVC headunit, Kicker 6X8's, 2 Farad cole cap, FC front strut bar, under body LED kit
Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #35
RichardAnthony
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 30834
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria Red Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 RichardAnthony Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Toolman
Oh yeah - my intake tube cost a whopping $6.87 from a Dealer - and came with the MAF Sensor! I just had to go and pre-pay for the order, since they didn't have it in stock, then wait a few days.
How did you order the piece? Did you place the order online or just go over to the Ford dealership? I want to try this but definately don't want to modify the original part at all.

How long did it take you to prepare the piece?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #36
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

The dealer closest to my work wouldn't take a credit card over the phone, I had to go there and pay for it up front, then go back, um, 4 days later(?) to pick it up. Preparing the spare (I felt the same way - I have all my stock parts if ever I need them) took me 30-40 minutes? I didn't time it, but it didn't seem all that bad. The hardest part was carving out just one end of the opening - without taking out any of the opening on the left or right. I just didn't have the right cutting bit for my Dremel tool, else it would have been a lot easier. And you want to keep checking-keep checking-keep checking, so you don't take off any more material than you absolutely have to (we're worried about air leaks around the sensor). Cutting the end of the tube off entirely with a hacksaw was easy.
Enkei wheels,HPS Intake, Ported TB, Tein S Tech springs,SVT shocks,Billet Grills,Debadged,Custom Exhaust,Black Headlights,tinted tails & markers,12" Polk GNX124 Sub, Polk db571 front speakers, Panasonic HU.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #37
RichardAnthony
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 30834
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria Red Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 RichardAnthony Good Standing Member
I am surprised that they got you the part so cheaply. Did you just ask for a MAF sensor or a MAF sensor Assembly? I will give them a call tomorrow and see if I can order the part. I took my intake all apart today to see how exactly everything looks and would work. It does seem pretty easy. The hardest part is going to be the carving away of the MAFs housing. In the mean time, since I was cruising without ANY filter whatsoever, I just clamped a 3.25 inch Air filter to the bottom of my MAF tube. It actually fits pretty well down there and the filter is well protected by the fender skirting.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #38
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
When you go see the guy at the dealer parts counter... ask him about an intake tube. He will then flip the screen around and ask you to point at the part. Then he will go look it up, and tell you that it's only available as an assembly. At this time, he'll probably have his eyes popping out of his head because he won't believe the price when he sees it. He might even say that he doesn't believe that the part will come with the MAF. Just nod your head and pay for it. They are then obligated.. so long as you have a receipt to give you the part for what you paid for it.

Or hey.. you can always leave it like it is no harm in that unless you go mud bogging

Oh yeah and if you bought one of those knockoff cone filters at AZ or Advance, I hope you saved the 3" ring because you'll need it if you decide to cut down the tube and go for the short ram intake. IF not... just leave it like it is or you'd have to buy another filter

Quote:
Old 01-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #39
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

I got my replacement intake tube from the dealer today. I decided to put it and the top part of the stock assembly back in place and try just clamping a filter to the end of the intake tube. The knock-off cloth filter I used came with rings for 4", 3.5", and 3" so I can swap up any time I feel like it.

I noticed some immediate differences. The short ram was louder, and reduced lulls in the midrange powerband after I replaced the stock filter with it. However, I felt I was missing a little low end torque. Now that I have the old intake tube and upper assembly in place- I feel like that torque has returned. I can now break the tires loose from a rolling start again like I could with the stock filter.

I just thought I'd add that observation in this thread for anyone who was considering this mod. It works well both ways, but as long as Ford is charging less than $10 for an intake tube--- there's no sense in having just one option on hand

Quote:
Old 01-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #40
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

Hey whynotthinkwhynot, that's super interesting. I just recently went from the cone filter hanging off the MAF tube down low to the short ram myself, and didn't really notice much difference, myself. I just ported my throttle body this past weekend - I feel pretty zippy off the stops now. Have you done that yet? I wonder if it might negate the low end difference you felt between the two kinds of intakes.

Last edited by Toolman; 01-09-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->