$200 steeda short ram,custom short ram...priceless! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #21
gottaride28
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21892
What I Drive: 2005, Grey/orange, ZX3 ses

FF Reputation: 1 gottaride28 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i believe i saw it in the thread gettoh something or another but after i saw it, i attempted the same thing myself took me a drive down the block to figure out that my MAF had to be turned around but yeah deff looks good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #22
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by ZXRR
no check engine light,the maf flow sensor can only go in one direction,so to make this work i had to flip the sensor around inside the intake so it was facing the same direction as it did on the factory setup,only problem was is that the holes on the sensor for the bolts dont line up,so i had to file down some plastic on the sensor,and enlarge the holes to make it work took a little bit of time but works great now.
Did you check for air leaks after enlarging the MAF hole/modification?
Air leaks are not good.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #23
v6buggy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26790
FF Reputation: 1 v6buggy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
WORKS I saw a LS1 with the k&n filter mounted dead to the intake ( a off road dune buggy)
I ponder if that will work
Old 08-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #24
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12277
What I Drive: 2005 white focus zx3

FF Reputation: 5 cruzstyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
heres mine
Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #25
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

heres the rev
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....9-B50616EEF0C7

heres the idle
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....D-1FFF4D0A5ADE
Old 12-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #26
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27202
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3,Egg Yolk Yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Toolman Good Standing Member
I don't know how ZXRR modified his sensor - it didn't look to me like there was enough plastic on the sensor itself to cut off, to make it line up close enough. But I did this thing, this weekend, and it works great! I'm thrilled! In the picture below, I:

1. used a dremel tool and file to take about an 1/8" off the bottom of the sensor opening shown in the pic - just the bottom of the rectangular opening.

2. enlarged the holes on the sensor with a good drill bit; I used a few bits until I got one that made the holes just barely big enough.

3. cut off the intake tube where my arrow for Item 3. shows.

4. used gasket-maker stuff to put around the top of the sensor opening, to prevent air leaks from the enlarged hole - then screwed the sensor down into place; I was super-careful that none of the gasket-maker stuff got onto the sensor itself as it passed thru the hole (remember the game Operation?).

Items 1 and 2 are necessary in order to turn the sensor around; the top end of the MAF tube (as shown in my picture) fits perfectly into the accordian/flexible tube that you leave on the Throttle Body, as ZXRR's pic shows, so then you just put your filter onto the other end of the tube. I was thrilled to find that the MAF Sensor cable reached it's new location without problem. I could NOT use the white plastic air diffuser that's normally in place just below the MAF sensor in it's original configuration. I already had my cone filter from the custom CAI I've been running with, although I'm going to get a different filter real soon - I'll post pics of that soon, which will explain why I'm not going to just use the one I already have for long. I've been running this since Saturday (2 days ago); it sounds wonderful when you rev up the engine, but sounds normal if you drive like a grandma. The filter end of the tube is 2.75" in diameter, but by leaving the two circles of plastic protruding around the newly cut end of the tube - a 3" filter fit onto the tube fine, as long as you center your filter opening across those two protrusions (see arrows marked 5.) My digital camera died an apparent horrible death at this point -I couldn't get any more pics, but my intake looks virtually identical to ZXRR's now, as he shows in the first pic in this thread. And then, just because I could, I drove thru a carwash this morning, which sprayed water up from beneath - I didn't dare do that, with my custom CAI, which exposed the filter at the bottom of the engine. Who knows, I may change my mind again later - but for now I'm very happy with my custom short ram intake. Oh yeah - my intake tube cost a whopping $6.87 from a Dealer - and came with the MAF Sensor! I just had to go and pre-pay for the order, since they didn't have it in stock, then wait a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake5.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	7783  

Team Duratec #20, ATX Faction #11
Enkei wheels,HPS Intake, Ported TB, Tein S Tech springs,SVT shocks,Billet Grills,Debadged,Custom Exhaust,Black Headlights,tinted tails & markers,12" Polk GNX124 Sub, Polk db571 front speakers, Panasonic HU.

Last edited by Toolman; 12-12-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #27
BlazingCopper_ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23208
What I Drive: 2005 Blazing Copper ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 BlazingCopper_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Nice job.
Glad to see it worked out so sweetly.
No reason not to do your own Short Ram or Cold Air Intake and put your money into things you can't do yourself.

Color Matched Grill, Mid-Wing Spoiler, Clear Side Lights, Audiophile Sound System, Stealth CAI, SVT Suspension and EAP wheels, FRPP Strut Tower Brace and STS.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:32 PM   #28
phatmike
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 16771
What I Drive: 2003 pzev, cd silver

FF Reputation: 1 phatmike Good Standing Member
I tried this one too. the thing is that it bugs down when the shifter light turns on. about 3500rpm. I didn't do anything on the MAF sensor? when I shift after the light the rpm stills go down. its like it needs more air. really need help on this.

thanks!
Old 01-01-2006, 01:51 AM   #29
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by phatmike
I tried this one too. the thing is that it bugs down when the shifter light turns on. about 3500rpm. I didn't do anything on the MAF sensor? when I shift after the light the rpm stills go down. its like it needs more air. really need help on this.

thanks!
I really had to fight off the urge to say something smart ass....

Anyway, are you sure that you turned the MAF so that the hole in the end opposite of the electrical connection is facing towards the incoming air? If not I'm surprised you're not getting a CEL. Also, did you remove the negative terminal for about 15 mins to reset the computer after doing the mod? I forgot to do that myself but I didn't notice anything like what you're experiencing.

AAAAAAhhh... ok, so you didn't modify the plastic of the tube to insure that the MAF is seated properly when you did turn it around??? That might cause some problems with air leaking past the MAF giving it a incorrect reading which is causing your mixture to be too lean, this probably causes a little bit of spark knock triggering the knock sensor to retard timing so you don't blow up your motor, but you feel all that as a bog down because the pedal isn't doing what you think it should be.

Other guys caulked or RTV'd around the MAF to fix this, I used Bi-Seal tape, but I think you might need to seal up around the MAF

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #30
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

i did the same mod cost me 30 bucks for everything and works like a charm had it for almost a year

Bookmarks & Social Networks