$200 steeda short ram,custom short ram...priceless! - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #91
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27202
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3,Egg Yolk Yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Toolman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah, I bought mine from a Ford Dealer in December for $6.87 WITH the MAF sensor, believe it or not, microtonal. BlacKnight, who works for a Ford parts dept said the price was raised when January hit, to $92.03. (A lot better than the $280 someone mentioned on the last page.) But even at $92.03, I think that makes this do-it-yourself-while-preserving-your-original-equipment just about not worth it. It's still cool if you don't mind permanently altering your MAF tube, or can buy a used one at a decent price, but me, I'm hanging onto my original.
Team Duratec #20, ATX Faction #11
Enkei wheels,HPS Intake, Ported TB, Tein S Tech springs,SVT shocks,Billet Grills,Debadged,Custom Exhaust,Black Headlights,tinted tails & markers,12" Polk GNX124 Sub, Polk db571 front speakers, Panasonic HU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #92
BiggTigger78
Hon-duh Rider

Fan#: 29084
What I Drive: 91 Cabriolet & 87 Honda VT1100

FF Reputation: 15 BiggTigger78 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
ZXRR, thanks again for your post!
Finally got a pic of my install. It isn't the prettiest, but i have no reason to show off the underside of the hood (at least not right now). When i have a nicer weekend I'll work on making the heat shield the right way.
Again, Thanks for the idea.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery...sort=1&cat=513
Old 04-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #93
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE: I've been experiencing a huge 'bogging' sensation, when starting from a stop - I could literally get out and push the car faster than it wants to start out, sometimes. It happened only a few random times over the winter, but as soon as I started using air conditioning, it got way bad. In searching for answers, I came across the suggestion that it's an air leak. I enlarged both the opening for the MAF sensor, and the holes for the screws that hold it, to do this mod at all, so the night before last I added gasket-maker-goop to little washers and put them between the metal bracket on the sensor itself, and the MAF tube it goes into. (That looked like the only area I hadn't covered with gasket-maker stuff before.) Yesterday I felt a difference, so last night I removed the MAF sensor entirely, and put a ton of gasket-maker stuff around the MAF sensor bracket, where it attaches to the MAF tube, and added another set of gooped-up washers on top of the metal sensor bracket (I was afraid air was leaking thru the enlarged holes). I screwed it all down, and simply scraped off the considerable excess goop that came out all around. I didn't see any dripping down the sensor itself into the MAF tube. This morning - HUGE DIFFERENCE! Night and day kind of difference! I think it had gotten slowly but surely worse over the winter and I didn't fully realize it. I thought the bogging was only when starting from a stop - but I felt Significant power increases just about any time I accellerated, whether from a stop or while driving down the highway. Moral of the story - make sure you seal the MAF sensor VERY well, if you do this mod.
Enkei wheels,HPS Intake, Ported TB, Tein S Tech springs,SVT shocks,Billet Grills,Debadged,Custom Exhaust,Black Headlights,tinted tails & markers,12" Polk GNX124 Sub, Polk db571 front speakers, Panasonic HU.

Last edited by Toolman; 04-19-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #94
Zyghot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21768
What I Drive: 2.3 ZX3 and 78' Camaro Z/28

FF Reputation: 1 Zyghot Good Standing Member
Well I never tampered with the maf sensor when I did mine, but I am also experiencing that forsaken bogging(wich gets even more worse, as the weather gets hotter). I can't seem to find out why it does it? I am thinking that the maf tube is too short right now. Any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #95
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

What's your setup like, Zyghot? Have any pics? Mine is in my Photo Gallery.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #96
Zyghot
Focus Enthusiast

I have pics of my setup on the previous page.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #97
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry, Zyghot, I forgot that you'd already Posted all those pictures. It's been awhile? Anyway, I can't help but think about the air leak theory still for yours. You mentioned that the end going into the throttle-body side was a bit loose, but it seemed to tighten up with the hose clamp. I wonder if you found something else to fill that gap even more might be helpful? They sell rubber adapter pieces in the custom air intake section of the Pep Boys auto stores in my area. I think one, or part of one, of those could be used to your advantage somehow. Just an idea.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #98
Zyghot
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah it has been a while. I already checked around yesterday for the air leak theory(that wasn't it), as for the end going into the throttle-body side being a bit loose, but it did tighten up with the hose clamp, so no leaks of any sort there. But thanks for your idea anyways(it will be remembered for future reference). So far my dad and I have narrowed the problem down to the injector. One or two of them are clogged, so I will be pulling out the fuel rail this weekend and cleaning them out by hand so as to not have them clog again anytime soon.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #99
ZXRR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20235
What I Drive: 2006 ford fusion sel

FF Reputation: 1 ZXRR Good Standing Member
well thought i would update,switched my homemade short ram in for a aem cai,and no i didnt pay over $200 for it,got a deal on it for $99.00 shipped,nothing like having the real deal!dont get me wrong its a quick cheap mod,that i came up with in the mean time but once ya cut the tube there is no going back,and the prices on the tube have jumped.didnt really notice a sound difference between the short ram and cai,next engine mods to come,cams,header,and sct flash.good thing i had an extra tube i purchased off of ebay way back when,i needed it to hook up my cai.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #100
Zyghot
Focus Enthusiast

I'm trying to save up to upgrade to a cai myself. Like you said, this was just a temporary way of getting power till a cai could be purchased. Where did you buy your cai at ZXRR?

Bookmarks & Social Networks