How far can the SVT engine go NA? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How far can the SVT engine go NA?

Hello all,
I have been looking for ways that I can seriously increase the output of the SVT engine without power adders or nitrous. I am talking about more than the normal bolt-ons, as I would like to see the power go north of 200 whp, but be streetable and run on 91 octane. I know that this is the complicated and expensive way to go after horsepower, but there is just nothing in the world like linear, pure NA horsepower. I have seen a couple inspiring examples as well, with the Cosworth Duratec hitting 230 bhp, and the HyTech RSX-S hitting 305(!) bhp out of 2.0L. Neither of these are custom, loping mosters hanging on the edge of a breakdown and puking on anything other than 110 octane. Both are sold as kits, with the HyTech kit coming to $7500 before install.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=7

I want streetable, torquey horsepower appropriate for AutoX and road-racing on the weekend and the ability to take me to work on Monday. What would it take to send the SVT to this level? I'm sure that it would involve;

Major headwork. P&P, valve-matching, lightweight valves and tougher valve springs for a higher redline. Cams to match, and a custom tune to make it all work. A bump in compression perhaps. It would take the best combination of intake and exhaust, perhaps with induvidual throttle bodies. Higher flowing headers, a high-flow (or no) cat and a matching exhaust.

Probably have to do some serious lightening too, starting with rims and flywheel, but perhaps reaching lightweight pistons, con-rods, and a balanced/polished/knife-edged/shot-peened/etc. crank and a custom crankshaft dampener to keep it smooth to 8000 RPM+.

What do you all think? Both in terms of do-ability and cost for making it happen...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
popecruz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17124
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 popecruz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
200 at the crank is easily achievable, but north of 200 at the wheels is going to be hard to do.

Intake, SCT Tune, Underdrive Pulley, Cam Gear (just the one), High Flow Cat or ORP, Removal of the AC unit.

If you were to do those simple things you could probably get it to around 180 at the wheels. As far as all that custom engine work, I don't think its necessary, but you would get some good gains, but at the same time, there goes that cosworth engineering in my opinion. Anything you do to the exhaust including headers won't give you noticable gains.
All your hard work and training for AutoX and you get sliding off the road and jacking your suspension named after you. That sucks.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
SVTmonkey
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Personally, it seems like a scary/backwards way to search for horsepower. I cringe just thinking about all that work. I would say just suck it up and get the supercharger kit, very safe and with a tune and an intake say, would give you those numbers.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Silver03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
I concur. Its hard to squeeze big numbers out of a little 2.0, it can be done Im sure but your going to be paying big $. For the price of getting 200 whp from NA, you could spend just as much or prehaps less on a quality turbo and be well above 200 whp.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 06-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

At the level of air velocity I would be looking for, the exhaust would make more of a difference than it does at the stock level...

I know that a supercharger or a turbo would get me there, but that's just not what I want. And I am perfectly fine with it costing more. Not only do I want to drop weight off the front end (without ditching accesories), but like a said there's just nothing like a really high output N/A engine. I find turbos to be a bit gummy, slow to react, artificial feeling, and not very linear. Superchargers are better, but you still don't get that electric throttle response and adjustability that a N/A engine gives. You'd be surpised at the difference those attributes will give you on track...

More than that, look at it as an off-beat personal crusade / interest. My friend and I are building a sports-racer (tube-frame, mid-engined) with a 900RR engine we got free (needed a rebuild) and it'll be a 180BHP 13K RPM screamer. I just love it...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #6
Silver03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
Well, how about a direct engine swap? A 2.5 SVT Contour engine comes with 200 bhp, and with the extra displacement and additional 2 pistons you can easily squeeze 200 whp out of it. Just a though, unless you are intent on keeping the 2.0. In which case you are looking at a fully built custom engine. Pistons, heads, possibly borring for extra displacement - the whole works. With the complexity of the SVT 2.0, that is no small task. Thats a cool personal crusade, keep us posted!

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

The V6 would definitely be cool, but it would add too much weight. And besides if I did that I would use the Yamaha SHO motor...

Hmmm, It'd probably be cheaper just to swap out the engine for that Hytech K-series...

Well, if the Ferrari deal I am borkering right now goes through, that would fund all of this. (355 GTS, have to wait till my customer gets his sold now as our initial buyer [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*ed out...)

I sure wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who has thought of this, or maybe knows something about Focus Touring car engine builds.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
MISVTfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by popecruz
200 at the crank is easily achievable, but north of 200 at the wheels is going to be hard to do.

Intake, SCT Tune, Underdrive Pulley, Cam Gear (just the one), High Flow Cat or ORP, Removal of the AC unit.

If you were to do those simple things you could probably get it to around 180 at the wheels.
Man, you seriously believe doing just that is gonna give you 180 WHP? No way not even close probably more like 160-165. If that was all that was needed to get 180 I'd be doing it right now.

Anyway to answer the question, its going to be very hard for you to get close to 200 at the wheels, I mean that would be astounding with just bolt ons. I would say one of the things most essential to this would be to get everything ported. Personally I find the goal admirable but I think you are going to find it to be a lot harder than you think.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

"Personally I find the goal admirable but I think you are going to find it to be a lot harder than you think."

Oh, I know it's going to be hard. But that's what also makes it fun and rewarding. If I wanted easy I would be on the phone with Vortech right now...
Old 06-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
coleslaststand
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6500
What I Drive: black 2004SVTEuro; '02 spyder eclipse gt

FF Reputation: 1 coleslaststand Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Be bold ... do the V8 conversion and convert it to RWD ... now that's a project and a half, and after you are done, you'll be frying just about everything in your path.
Mods = Hypnotic's SCT tune; Screaming Demon coil and wire package; Denso Iridium ITV24's; FR STS; VF rear mount; ported TB; Custom wing; VIS CF vented hood; Hypnotic's SRI; SCO 4 gauge grounding wires and ORP ...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.