rally jackets? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
RallyNinjaZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2465
What I Drive: 01 ZX3 ATX - Stocked Out

FF Reputation: 1 RallyNinjaZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
rally jackets? rally focus?

Ok, you have seen those NASCAR fans sport their Jeff Gordon racing jackets....does anyone know if they make rally-oriented jackets? preferably for a focus team

Also, what would it take to bring a 01 stock ATX focus to SCCA club rally level? And actually be competetive?

Last edited by RallyNinjaZX3; 01-05-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
A stock focus would run in the Production class. In this class you can do no engine work . You can however stiffen the chasis with seam welding. Cage design is critical. The more places you can tie the cage to the body of the car the stiffer you will make it. You can replace the shocks and springs with aftermarket ones which is absolutely necessary. A shock specifically designed for rally applications is needed. DMS, Morriss, Ohlin, Pro-flex, and Bilstein manufacture shocks specifically for rally. Expect to pay 500.00 to 1000.00 per shock. A starting point for spring rates is double the stock rate at all corners. You can add performance brake pads and aftermarket rotors of the same design and size of the stock system. Club rally is the entry level. But there's a lot of ringers who lurk in this class.

Newbies should never expect to be competetive. You need a good year of two (six to eight) coefficent 3 rallies to get the hang of the sport. Its always cheaper to buy a used rally car then trying to build one. Example you can buy a good used G@ car for as little as 2500.00 to 3500.00 dollars. Tou can easily exceed this cost with the cage and shocks alone and you haven't included the cost of the base car. A used one will be sorted out. It takes a long time to sort out a new car. Time is better spent on perfecting driving skills rather than constant repair and adjustment.

A properly prepared focus would do OK in production. However the car of choice would be an SVT. When you've developed the skills you could do engine and other performance upgrades to the production car and more up to the group 2 class. Things start getting wild here. You can then add a super charger or turbo which will bump you to group 5. All these classes are for two wheel drive cars so you'll be competeing against similarily prepared cars. Production and G2 classes are currently dominated by VW Golfs (primarily because there are lots of performance parts developed in europe available for these cars. Group five is dominated by a few mustangs, toyota supras, and eclipse gt's (front wheel drive turbo model) and some new built up 1.8 liter golf turbos are beginning to appear. The rules are online at the SCCA web site. When building a production car it critical to know these inside and out.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
RallyNinjaZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2465
What I Drive: 01 ZX3 ATX - Stocked Out

FF Reputation: 1 RallyNinjaZX3 Good Standing Member
awesome..thanks for the help/advice
I plan to just work on my focus..doing what I can..and I do like the idea of purchasing a used rally car, and just focusing on driving. Thanks.

Quick question tho...are most rally cars sequential shifting? If so..would it be just as good to run an automatic w/ a chip (changed shift points)?

Last edited by RallyNinjaZX3; 01-06-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
Rockn&Rolln
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1919
What I Drive: 03 SVTF Infra-Red & 03 F250

FF Reputation: 1 Rockn&Rolln Good Standing Member
Thanks Geezer this answered some of my questions also.
03 SVTF Infra-Red #1346 of 2173
Cold Weather Package
Moonroof
HID Headlights
Audiophile Package
&
03 F250 Badass Black
Old 01-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
In the US sequential transmissions are not allowed (trying to keep cost down). The big boys will use a manual dog box with straight cut gears. This allows clutchless shifts after you get it rolling. They aren't cheap but a heck of a lot less than are full sequential box ($3,000.00 vs 20K plus). To be honest I haven't seen a lot of slush boxes (automatics) used in rallying. I have seen them in a few rally trucks and in one mustang but they were the ones found in SCORE off road (Baja) trucks. The valving in these is changed so they will not shift automatically and must be shifted manually into each gear. They're also very expensive and generally built for big V6's and V8's. To find listings for used rally cars check "Ben's rally page" and www.specialstage.com are good sources.

Last edited by Geezer; 01-07-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks