steering wheel noise - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
pitikus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1492
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 pitikus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
steering wheel noise

with engine started when i turn the steering wheel from left to right i hear like a sqeeaking noise...and not on the same point...on dusty roads doesn't make that sound

what can it be?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
dfrac
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 19757
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 dfrac Good Standing Member
Moving or stopped when you get the noise?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #3
pitikus
Focus Rookie

either way...only when i'm stopped the sound is a bit louder

btw...two weeks ago i've taken a 90 turn with a bit more speed then it was required ..and i didn't see a small area covered with sand...and hit the sidewalk concrete blocks with my left rear wheel...ripped off the suspension and smash the left window with my head

anyway...this could be related?...i've changed the suspension and the car was fine until a few days ago...i've tested it on the highway at max 205 km/h to see if it's running straight with no major vibrations
Old 06-16-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The power steering belt? If you turn the wheels to full lock and hold it there, will it squeek constantly?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
pitikus
Focus Rookie

i know what you mean and is not that....it doesn't do it at full rotation...it's random...and is more like a crank/squeek...it's coming from the suspension area

anyway...tommorow i'm going to the service and see what's what

thank you
Old 06-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14827
What I Drive: 2002 Silver 1.6 Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 exsodius Good Standing Member
I know what you mean. Its like rubbing steel against rubber, right?

My 2002 focus got this problem only after a year. Ford tried to put some HTS spray into the hole behind the gas pedal where the steering column goes through the torpedowall. this hole leads to the engine comparment inside the white plastic cower on the servosteering thingy. But this did not fix it. In the morning tomorrow when the car is cold, can you please check if the noise is there when the car is cold. Dont even start it. Just take the steering wheel from left to right to left to right fast. Because the noise appears 5-10 minutes after starting the car and it becomes a little warm. I swear the noise is comming from the left side of the car. So now after 3.5 years i have the same irritating noise, and i now believe it is a steering ball joint or the balljoint on the bottom of the arm that holds the wheel that makes the noise.

I had the same problem with my old car and when i sprayed CRC through the rubber gasket and into the balljoint, the noise disappeared for a couple of months.

I haven't tried this on the focus yet because i have to make a hole in the rubber gasket. And its really hard to locate this sound!! So i am not sure.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #7
pitikus
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by exsodius
I know what you mean. Its like rubbing steel against rubber, right?

My 2002 focus got this problem only after a year. Ford tried to put some HTS spray into the hole behind the gas pedal where the steering column goes through the torpedowall. this hole leads to the engine comparment inside the white plastic cower on the servosteering thingy. But this did not fix it. In the morning tomorrow when the car is cold, can you please check if the noise is there when the car is cold. Dont even start it. Just take the steering wheel from left to right to left to right fast. Because the noise appears 5-10 minutes after starting the car and it becomes a little warm. I swear the noise is comming from the left side of the car. So now after 3.5 years i have the same irritating noise, and i now believe it is a steering ball joint or the balljoint on the bottom of the arm that holds the wheel that makes the noise.

I had the same problem with my old car and when i sprayed CRC through the rubber gasket and into the balljoint, the noise disappeared for a couple of months.

I haven't tried this on the focus yet because i have to make a hole in the rubber gasket. And its really hard to locate this sound!! So i am not sure.
well that fixed my problem

thank you very much
Old 06-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by pitikus
well that fixed my problem

thank you very much
Nice :)
If i only could fix my own car too.

What did you exactly do?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #9
pitikus
Focus Rookie

i sprayed 2+2 motorcycle chain lubricant through the rubber gasket...and also inject lubricant into the front stabilizer bar joints...that small vertical metal bar between the stabilizer bar and suspension (dunno what is called in english)....and the noise is gone

anyway...my car has 80.000 miles and i didn't change a thing at suspensions...it was about time for some parts to fail...especially with the roads here ...only holes and bumps
Old 06-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by pitikus
i sprayed 2+2 motorcycle chain lubricant through the rubber gasket...and also inject lubricant into the front stabilizer bar joints...that small vertical metal bar between the stabilizer bar and suspension (dunno what is called in english)....and the noise is gone
Did you spray it on the steering link balljoint or the big balljoint down below? Was it the left side?

Bookmarks & Social Networks