Wiring up a Tach - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
smokez01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 20834
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 smokez01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wiring up a Tach

Hi, my 2000 ford focus SE does not have a tachometer, my friends purchased me one as a graduation present, we tried to wire it up, but i soon found out that i needed a tach adapter,

So today we bought a tach adapter, and wired everything up

IT doesnt work, What the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*?

What we did was take the red and green wire of the adapter and splice it to the fat green wire in the middle of the coil harness, those 3 wires that run form the spark plug box thingy, on the diagram of the tach adapter, it said to put the red gren wire to the coil pack and the red wire to the coil harness, we did this, we attached the ground, we hooked up the grey wire to the green wire of the tach, and we hooked up the red wire of the tach to the fuse box, and the white wire of the tach to the fuse box

Now, we turn the car on, its not working, wtf?

Did we do everything corectly? Yes we followed all the directions, the backround of the tach lights up perfectly fine, but when i rev the engine there is no action on the tach.

Did we wire everything correctly? am i suposed to seperate the green wire on the coil? i basically took the red/green and attached it to the middle green wire that goes to the coil pack, and the red wire that goes to the coil harness, we spliced those into the green middle wire, but we left the green midle wire as a whole, and didnt cut it, do we have to do that?

Basically im asking for help from people who have installed a aftermarket tach with a tach driver, what did you do? Mine is not working.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7784
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT; 03 Black Evo 8

FF Reputation: 1 blck01zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I just wired up two tachs on my friends mustang and on my friends celica. On the mustang the red wire and the white wire for the light both went to a 12 volt power source, the blck went to a ground and the green wire went to the negative side of the coil. On the celica the red wire and the white wire went to a 12 volt power source and the blck to a ground, the green wire went to a ground wire that was attached to his internal coil, we found which wire by looking it up on a celica forum. It should be similar to this, I hope it helps.
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII
Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
smokez01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hmm, it does a bit,

Maybe i didnt wire up the red and white wire to a 12 volt source??

what resistor things on the fuse box are 12 volts?

and do both of them need to be into a 12v source??

im pretty sure i got the white one rght becuase it lights up, maybe i dont have the red wire connected right

and also, i searched a little more on the coil wire, and i read from here http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ht=tach+wiring

". there is 3 wires in it and its not the middle one""

""I got the Tach working with splicing it to the black with green wire,"""

So, im assuming my first mistake was splicing it into the wrong wire, so i just went ousie and un spliced the 2 wires form the green wire and spliced it into the black with green wire, i fired up the car and it still is not working?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
smokez01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

All right, i got the blasted thing to work.

my dad wired the red wire to the cigarette fuse and it works now

Now, i did that hack thingy when u hold ur trip meter button, and the digital rpms reads about 1.3k MORE than what the RPM guage reads

is there anyway that i can match the two up so i can get an accurate reading on the tach instead of reading the digital one? or am i basiclaly [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]?

also, there is this horrible smell that arises when i start the car and start to rev teh engine to get a reading on the tach, i dont know if its not geting enough fuel or something with the catyltic converter or what, any ideas?

or should i just try and return the tach driver for lets say half off and buy a god damned cluster with tach

Last edited by smokez01; 06-08-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks