Ford Focus Still #1 (in UK) - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Kneel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Focus Still #1 (in UK)

Ford's market share in the UK is almost what it is now in the US, as a percentage!

BRENTWOOD, Essex, 6 June, 2005 The Ford Focus continues its reign as Britain's top selling car, according to figures just out. Ford Focus is confirmed as Britain's favourite, both in May and year-to-date.

The Ford Focus range of three, four, five-door, estate and C-MAX Multi-Activity Vehicle models tops the UK's sales charts.

Ford Focus has been number one every year since launch in 1998. A total of almost 860,000 Focus models have been purchased from Ford dealerships in Britain.

Ford has been best selling new car make in Britain for the past 28 consecutive years. Other May sales highlights include:

* As well as having Britain's best selling car, Ford is also top brand with a 15.2 per cent market share in May

* So far this year Ford has sold 158,540 cars more than 12,350 units ahead of its nearest rival

* Ford continues to reign supreme in the commercial vehicle sector with Transit 40 years old this year

* Thanks primarily to Transit, Britain's best selling van for its entire lifetime, Ford has captured almost 30 per cent of 2005 medium commercial vehicle sales. More than 22,640 Transits have been sold in 2005 a huge 15,750 vehicles ahead of the second-placed vehicle

* In all commercial vehicle segments (light, medium, heavy and bus), more than one in five vehicles sold year-to-date were Fords.

Paul Thomas, Ford of Britain managing director, said: "With all new Focus models available and selling fast, it's no surprise that the car leads the UK sales charts. Focus redefined the medium car segment in 1998 and is rewriting the rulebook again this year."

"Focus has been number one car for six years and Ford the top car brand for 28 years. Ford Britain has all the products necessary in its showrooms for another year of sales success in 2005."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
last I heard the focus is still the best selling compact in the US also...
ST crew #18
Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
ouikikazz
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
last I heard the focus is still the best selling compact in the US also...
u sure?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
The Focus is probably a Top 10 car...but I doubt its #1 in the US.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Sh00ter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20773
What I Drive: 1999 2.0ghia 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Sh00ter Good Standing Member
speaking as a Brit, this ties nicely into the other other thread on "waving to other focus drivers" - suicide on british roads as it seems that one in every 10 cars is a focus - ud never stop waving....
Old 06-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
DrRay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14474
What I Drive: A car

FF Reputation: 1 DrRay Good Standing Member
I can understand the #1 rank for the UK-the new euro Focus is great.

I'd like to see what would happen if they tried to sell the American Focus in europe...yikes.

I see a TON of ZX5's on the road.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
^^ What separates the American Focus from the previous-generation European Focus? The American version was slightly "decontented" and obviously was built on this continent, but aside from that what's the difference? Why "yikes?"
Old 06-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #8
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
Did you catch that "Ford redefined the medium car segment" (in Britian) That's the difference, their market is different, and Ford knows they're not selling only to the cheapo market there, so they make a better car. Over here, they didn't have the guts to make a better car and try to compete with Honda, Toyote, etc, so they went the throwaway car market, instead, and have to rebate $2K to move them.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
Sh00ter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20773
What I Drive: 1999 2.0ghia 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Sh00ter Good Standing Member
the focus in uk is in a very competitive market - certainly not the cheap one, it is mid range, although we have only recently had a high range on this car size with the new smaller beemers, audi's and lexus's etc
the focus directly competes with honda's toyota's renault and peugeot's
Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
It's the SAME car. It sells in a different price class, and has some nicer features because of that, but it's the SAME car. Or it least, it WAS, until Europe got the new one and we're left to continue on the with the old one. But Dr. Ray is making it sound like we have a crap pile and they have gold boullion, when it's the same car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks