1st mod, Trubendz/Borla - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Rsdnt-Evle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1178
What I Drive: '03 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Rsdnt-Evle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile 1st mod, Trubendz/Borla

And so it begins...

Got my Trubendz 2.5" stainless cat-back today, no resonator, Borla muffler. Took me about 2 hours to install, half of that was trying to get the car high enough in the air to get under it...

I cut the oem pipe in half right behind the main muffler, easy to get out that way. Trubendz system looks nice... pipes were tie-wrapped together in the box, polished tip was wrapped in newspaper. Heavy, thick-walled stainless pipe, shipping box weight was 40lbs.

Everything slid together nicely, the multi-purpose flange worked just fine too. The holes are slotted to allow for the other foci, but the flange itself is the exact same size/shape of the flange on the end of the flex pipe.

I was thinking it might take extra effort to make sure the flange was centered since the holes were slotted, but it sat right where it was supposed to without even trying to center it. The ends of the slotted holes are right where they need to be to keep it lined up on the SVT.

As far as length goes, the first joint in the pipes has a good 10" or so of travel, for 2 or 4 door I suppose. The rear joint, right at the top of the bend that goes over the rear suspension, also has plenty of room to move, but you are limited by the amount of travel the rubber hangers will allow.

Which brings me to the only minor negative point... as with all the other systems, the tip sticks out too far. The rear support rod is welded to a point where even with the rubber hanger leaning toward the front of the car, it still sticks about 2" more than we would like. Dunno what's up with that...

The sound is just awesome. Especially accelerating hard alongside a wooden fence, or a row of houses... No resonator, but I'm leaving the cat in place.

Next up, K&N Typhoon short ram, should be in next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
1sloho
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i got mine in a few months ago. the exact same as urs. very nice sound when u hit the gas. mine sticks out a little to.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Yeah, I see what you say about the length of the tip...a bit long. Perhaps you could trim the rear pipe??? The only cosmetic thing that might get me is the the tip though. I'd probably like it to be a little larger so it fills the stock opening a little better.

How much $$ did it end up costing you, and aside from the sound, how would you describe the gains?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
Rockn&Rolln
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1919
What I Drive: 03 SVTF Infra-Red & 03 F250

FF Reputation: 1 Rockn&Rolln Good Standing Member
I also agree on the length. I'm curious about the gains also. Why did you go this route?
03 SVTF Infra-Red #1346 of 2173
Cold Weather Package
Moonroof
HID Headlights
Audiophile Package
&
03 F250 Badass Black
Old 01-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Rsdnt-Evle
Focus Enthusiast

lol essveetee, I was thinking of your sig when I was tightening the clamps. Just a little more... Actually no, I better not...

Trimming the rear pipe won't help, it had room to slide in and out, it was the rubber hanger that wouldn't allow it to go back any further... it can only stretch so far, and I didn't want to stretch it any... unnecessary stress and all.

Only way to fix it would be to bend the support rod into an S-shape, or cut it loose and re-weld it to a diff position. That would take care of it. But I can't weld stainless, didn't want to bend it all out of shape and risk breaking the weld, do not have the patience to wait and get it done somewhere next week, so... it's where it will stay.

I could have rotated it up a bit to fill in the hole more, but I didn't want heat to wear on the plastic skirt over time, so I moved it down a bit on purpose. In person it doesn't look like that much of a gap, the tip is pretty big, about a finger's width of room all the way around. It looks smaller because of the angle I took the pic.

As far as the gains... can't really say, only drove it a few miles. At most it couldn't be more than 5 or 6 hp I wouldn't think, which it could vary that much just by outside temps. On the dragstrip or dyno I'm sure the increase would show up, but I was paying more attention to the sweet music it was playing. Kinda reminds me of a Ninja sportbike, a bigger one like the 1100... just lower rpm of course.

Total was $320 to my door. Much cheaper that the "real" Borla, and since they use a Borla muffler and the exact same type of pipe, how much different could they really be? Not enough to warrant another $150 bucks or so imo. Plus, I didn't want the resonator, so bonus for me there.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #6
Zarelli6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 411
What I Drive: '89 Volvo 744Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Zarelli6 Good Standing Member
i like the length looks good
Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

any idea how much louder it is than the borla w/ resonator? I was thinking of going the Trubendz route because there is really nothing wrong with these 'kit' exhausts. If you are into VW's or know someone who is, ask about Techtonics Tuning. All their exhausts are sleeve/clamp assembly and they fit and perform awesome. They typically have a stealth look to them with no rice effect....so trubendz looks good. I just need to hear some more about them.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #8
silverfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 459
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 silverfoci Good Standing Member
I have a regular focus zetec and I also have a 2.5'' trubendz borla cat-back. The sound is nice, the tip does stick out a bit but not as much as yours, and it's not too loud unless you are at WOT above 3k.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:33 PM   #9
Rsdnt-Evle
Focus Enthusiast

No idea on how much louder, I think I'm the only one in this town who has an SVT Focus, so I have nothing to compare it with.

When you are on the gas, it's pretty loud, but when you are cruising, you can't really hear it. Personally I think it's spot-on in terms of tone and volume.

I could have pushed the tip in a little bit more, but it was already gonna stick out anyway, so I just let it sit where it wanted to without putting stress on the rubber hangers. Didn't want them slipping off or getting weak and coming apart, tho I've never actually seen that happen, but still...

Last edited by Rsdnt-Evle; 01-02-2004 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:08 AM   #10
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

gotcha, thanks for the info. I might consider doing this in the next few months.

Bookmarks & Social Networks