Project Twincharged SVT Focus - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #21
XxDRIVERxX
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1104
What I Drive: '04 SRT-4, '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

FF Reputation: 1 XxDRIVERxX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Get up to 50 posts, I want to nominate you for FF ROTM next month, your car is simply sick! cant wait to see it all finished with Dyno #'s! Awsome work bro!

-shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #22
Jroc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 23865
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jroc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dude ok ko this whole idea is the shit.....how much did it cost you for everything....and what kind of turbo and supercharger are you using....becuase im saving up right now for one or the other....i know alot about cars but i just cant decide which one i want,.....and i dont think i would have the money to twincharge it/ the time to....besides the turbo and sc what engine work did you do? honestly this is soo freaking cool....a hell of alot cooler thena twin turbo.......how much do you think you will get when you dyno it?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #23
CHIBULLSAN
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2019
What I Drive: TwinCharged SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CHIBULLSAN Good Standing Member
Ok, wow. Alot of you have alot of questions. Ill try to sum them all up and answer them.

COST - ALOT. I did all the work myself, including the customizing and fabrication. I have a mock up motor and alot of tools were purchased just for the job. The cost of the supercharger, the cost of the turbo, the cost of all the materials, the cost of the bypass valves, the Greddy Type S Controller, the Greddy MSS, Tial Wastegate, 8.5:1 Pistons, Forged Rods, ARP head bolts, VCT elim. , SCT Pro Racer, Laptop for software, Injectors, MAF, Custom designed and manufactured intake manifold, Oil Pump for scavenge line on pump, misc switches; wire; hoses; gaskets; fasteners. and TIME! This was a very time consuming project. I spent 2 weeks after work manufacturing the new supercharger Eclutch 8" extension. I had to extend the nose to reach over the Alternator. I had to cut the strut tower to fit the eclutch in there with the 3.2" pulley. The front bumper support was plasma cut away to fit the 9" intercooler up front. Countless nights and days were spent fabricating the all stainless downpipe and CRS tubular header. And dont forget the cost of the shipping of all the parts, and the coating of all the parts, weather it be 2000 Deg ceramic or just plain jane spray paint. Ive also had to stiffen every motor mount wth new ones, and fabricate my own in addition to reduce the motors movement so the SC does not hit the firewall and struttower.

PROBLEMS - Yes, I have had MAJOR ones. The turbo had to have new bearings put in it. I ordered the new ones, and found that the ones in it were custom size, so i had to spend the night making my own. I had the supercharger go bad from bad bearings. I have had the supercharger housing crack, the one from Eaton. I had to use the spare I had here and add supports. The oil pump was an after thought , after the turbo was fired for the first time, the smoke was unbearable. This design you see in my car, is not the first design, we actually made one prior to this, complete intake manifold, and all - it fainled to meet our apperance desires and structual intergirty needs. This design actually had me fabricate a new hood from fiberglass, it as finished except for paint .... it has been destroyed since it was no longer needed. The most recent of bad luck issues I have had are the VCT has stopped working and is replaced by the Focus-Power elim kit. I also have broken a pisoton land, and had to replace the rods and pistons - just did this last sunday.

DYNO #'s - I will have a good tune in 2 weeks , and at the momentI do not have hard #'s for that reason. but I can tell you this. I have made 5 PSI by 1200 and full 12 PSI by 1800. I can turn up the boost but not after the piston broke, i wont turn it up until its tuned better. The numbers I would like to see are as follows. Id like to see 250 - 300 whp on 93 Oct. with greater torque numbers. This may not seem like alot, but it is, and when you consider all the others making these #'s at peak RPMS, when I hope to make peak torque very low in the RPM band. This will make a great and awesome driving car.

To sum up what I have here, it will cost and arm and a leg, problems will happen, and never seem to stop, and the dyno ... well we all will have to wait and see.

Thanks for all of your kind responses. I do have more pics, if there is something you want to see closer, or more of, even to be explained feel free to post and ask. :)
Old 06-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #24
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Holy crap thats alot of stuff you have put into that
Old 06-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #25
svt4chris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8821
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 svt4chris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
What's your daily driver then? Obviously this one isn't given that it's not exactly reliable.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #26
faultlessfocus

Fan#:
Okay, the ROUSH turbo will give you about 95hp and 100+ ft. lbs of tq. That is a NORMAL ZETEC, non-svt. That means that a 2.0Zetec will put out 130+95 and that is pretty nice. I am sure that dyno will be quite short of the whole 225HP, so lets give it a very low 200. Thats 1 block, 1 turbo, and $4000....lot cheaper to make that power. DO NOT jump on me for saying that, I understand you have to tune, install, and upgrade other stuff, but there will be NOWHERE near the cost this guy has spent up for his build. I mean, MAJOR props dude, that is gonna be AMAZING, and I am glad there are people out there with that type of skill, mind, and ambition to do it.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #27
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Extremely Awesome job, CHIBULLSAN
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
And people say that twincharging can't be done... We're gonna have to save the link to this thread and then every time some n00b says "you can't turbo AND supercharge a car" we can post the link.

BTW do your engine a favor and put something better than a Fram filter on there man!
First off, I must agree with the Fram comment.

Second, you bet it can be done.
Check out the 1985 Lancia Delta S4.
250 hp in street trim, and 450+hp in rally trim.
CHIBULLSAN;
Who knows, you might find some useful info in these links:
Lancia Delta S4 History
Lancia Delta S4
^^^Check out the Schematic Diagram^^^
That's about all I can find...in English.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #28
BigJ12582
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16535
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BigJ12582 Good Standing Member
Thats sick, I cant imagine the power of that thing. I thought my JRSC SVT with 10psi felt nice Im sure that thing will blow it out of the water.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #29
dohcFUN
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 21083
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 1 dohcFUN Good Standing Member
Id like to see how it runs
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #30
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
WD40 the Lancia was sweet! The Delta HF is featured in Gran Turismo 4. FWIW I was already aware of the concept of twincharging from my days as a Mk. I MR2 owner, HKS briefly sold a kit for the 88-89 supercharged MR2s that added a turbo, and thus, made it twincharged. In fact, that was the name of the kit, the Twincharger. No, I didn't have one... my MR2 was an 86 and N/A.

Bookmarks & Social Networks