Worst driving weekend EVER!! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
jah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6781
What I Drive: 2003 svt zx5 - black

FF Reputation: 1 jah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Worst driving weekend EVER!!

While by no means a record, I got three speeding tickets this weekend

Lessons learned:
1) don't speed on Memorial Day weekend
2) cops have nothing better to do
3) the speed limits in this country are archaic, and are nothing more than money generating schemes for municipalites

Questions asked:
1) why can people continually speed down my residential 25mph street, where kids live and play, but I can't SAFELY speed on the freeway or major highway?
2) would I have been pulled over in an SUV?
3) is my speeding really more of a crime than selling drugs to kids, rape, murder, etc.?

This is a tough pill to swallow when I routinely watch people on cell phones merge into other people, see people reading the newspaper while driving, have my wife get hit turning into our driveway, and everyone and their mother run red lights - all of which I consider a little more dangerous than speeding on flat, open road with light traffic. While I don't condone breaking the law, I do feel that my tax dollars are not helping my community.

Maybe I'm just venting, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
hEaT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20699
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST

FF Reputation: 11 hEaT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wow, I'm sorry. That sucks. Was it all on the same road?
ZETEC Crew #49

Quote:
Originally posted by DrkKnight614
......hmm if that works then if i put a spinner on my butt hole and rip one will i be able to run faster. ...idiots
Old 05-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
jah
Focus Enthusiast

not the same road. But I was harassed about my tint job by one cop. And if anyone is familiar with Boone Co. KY, that was the worst one.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Yeah, I heard traffic on I-75 through KY and TN were hellacious this weekend. Speed traps consisting of cops standing on overpasses w/ the radar and cops on bikes, unmarked cars, and troopers pulling people over by the dozen.

Nothing but a way to fill the city/county coffers.

The thing is, if you don't speed, then you don't have to contribute.

I agree with most of what you said, though...if cops want to make the streets safer, there are a whole lot of other laws that could stand to be enforced as strongly as speeding.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
Core
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23603
FF Reputation: 1 Core Good Standing Member
Unfortunately, in the USA, speeding tickets have become a major source of revenue for local governments. It has little to do with safety. The emphasis on speed has other adverse effects. There was a thread recently on people who hog the left lane. I believe some people do this because they fear exceeding the speed limit for a short period of time to pass a slower vehicle and then move over into the right lane. Consequently, the bunching of traffic and inherent danger related to that and the frustration of following drivers can be directly linked to the insane focus on speed limits.

While I am generally not a fan of european ways, the German Autobahn system seems to make a lot more sense. With some education and acclimatation, I think there would be an improvement in safety.

But then again, where would local government get its money?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
jah
Focus Enthusiast

Revamp - you are correct. no speeding=sticking to the man (so to speak). But if speeding is such an evil, why have cars that are capable of breaking the limit?

Core - the answer is taxes. people think that having low taxes is great (which it is), but I think that it allows freedoms to be taken away in the form of fines and fees, for everything from speeding to permits and liscenses. For example, is it absolutely necessary to have a permit to fish?!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
jah,

What were the specifics of the tickets? If it was for 65 in a 55, you got a bad deal. If you're talking 85 is a 55, well...

Just how picky were they with your tickets?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
EGGO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21789
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 EGGO Good Standing Member
OP, you didn't tell us how fast you were going and what the speed limit is.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
jah
Focus Enthusiast

Keep in mind, I was venting. After some time of reflection, I'll agree the second one was fully deserved - it is difficult, however, to test out the new Steeda 28.6mm rear anti-roll bar without going 59mph on 35mph curves. And the modified intake, custom exhaust, and Ford Racing Parts Crank underdrive pulley really seemed to be working well at 93mph on open freeway. I especially liked the sound. The last one, well...after harassing me about the tint, he did knock a few off so wouldn't lose my liscense on the spot. I think he understood the idea of "seein' what she's got" In all reality, I really did just pick a bad weekend for this sort of thing; after all, they were just doing their job.

It would be nice, though, if the jacka$$ reading the newspaper who almost merged into my passenger seat last week got a little shakedown.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
holy moly!

Bookmarks & Social Networks