Instrument Cluster Swap - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-10-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
hendu33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 659
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE/Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 hendu33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Instrument Cluster Swap

Hey all, I just got a 2000 Focus SE with a manual tranny. I want to swap out my tach-less instrument cluster for one with a tach. What I want to know is, will the new cluster correctly display the odometer reading and/or throw a trouble code? I have about 25k miles on my car now, and if I get a new cluster, will the new cluster display my mileage or the mileage from the car the cluster is pulled from? Also, I saw a listing of the different DTC codes that can be viewed on the cluster at focus hacks. Code A139 is "PCM ID does not match between Instrument Cluster and PCM." Is this something I should worry about? Would the swap cause this code to be thrown, and what could I do about it? The reason I'm concerned is because we got a dealer warranty with the car, and I don't want it voided from this. Thanks in advance for any information.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 10:53 PM   #2
01CobaltTiburon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
The mileage displayed on the new (or new to you) instrument cluster will be the mileage from whatever vehicle it is pulled from. However, you can go to your dealer and they can sync things up and make it display the correct mileage, since the odometer reading in stored in the ECU and not the cluster.

I have never heard of a trouble code being thrown just for installing a new cluster. There have been several people on here do this swap, and they have had no troubles.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:58 PM   #3
focuSE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 335
What I Drive: Focus SE/Zetec

Points 3,188, Level 34
Points: 3,188, Level: 34 Points: 3,188, Level: 34 Points: 3,188, Level: 34
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 focuSE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I was planning to do a swap too, but all the stupid Ford dealer over in my area said that they never heard of a swap and none of them are willing to do it for me
Old 09-10-2003, 11:00 PM   #4
ZETEC3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 81
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid grey ZX3, 95 240SX SE

FF Reputation: 1 ZETEC3 Good Standing Member
I'd say the easiest thing to do is buy an aftermarket tach.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:16 PM   #5
01CobaltTiburon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
You don't have to get the dealer to do it for you... they are all ignorant. The new cluster will plug right in to where the old cluster came out. Same plug, same wiring, etc. It's a piece of cake. There is a how-to that I did for this in the "How-to" section here.

Geez those Ford guys are retarded...
Old 09-10-2003, 11:20 PM   #6
hendu33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 659
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE/Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 hendu33 Good Standing Member
Thanks guys for your help. After my next paycheck, time for me to get new (to me) dash, among other things, and see how it goes. :)
Old 09-10-2003, 11:41 PM   #7
guerro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
Just tell the dealer your cluster crapped out and you got a replacement from the junkyard and ask them to sync it up for you. If they are as dumb as LiquidGray says they are, then they wont notice that your car didnt come with a tac. Good Luck.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.