Eagle Talon TSi AWD- good toy? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #31
213slayer666
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7447
What I Drive: a car?

FF Reputation: 1 213slayer666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i say buy the talon and build it up, that way you'll have a fast car and a nice car for your daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 03:29 AM   #32
fat pat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18326
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fat pat Good Standing Member
i had a 93 gsx...drove the hell out of the car for a year until i seperated a wrist pin and slapped a rod through both sides of cast iron. I say get the talon, you will definatly not be disapointed. theres absolutely nothing that beats the feeling of a hard awd launch. With dsms, you know you had a damn good launch when you get the windshield wipers to turn on.

With an already health motor/drivetrain, making a dsm run 12s really isnt a problem. high 12s can be had on the stock 14b with some decent tuning and supporting mods. The cars take to mods very very well, and there are plenty of free or very cheap mods that will give you a decent running car. a k/n in replacement of the stock airbox, up the boost to 15-16 and disconnecting the downpipe can net you high 13s easy. theyre really easy to massage power out of.

the only thing to look for with dsms is how often parts have been replaced. get lazy with dsm maitenence and it will bite you in the ass. the owner before mine didnt do much, and i got stuck replacing an alternator, timing belt, starter and countless others. I bought mine at 190k, and it drove like a champ. the piston blowing was my fault. too long of snowdrifts, and starved half the motor of oil.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #33
Mystic32vCobra
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21486
What I Drive: 1996 Mystic Cobra, 1991 Talon TSi AWD, 1989 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Mystic32vCobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by svt4chris
Alright, for those of you who are still paying attention to this thread, I just got one more thing to run past you-
I saw a sweet SVTF tonite, a well-done setup, very clean, and it made me wonder if, instead of getting a Talon/Eclipse/Lazer to play with, I'd rather put that money into my car. What do you think? Make the already sweet SVT sweeter, or get a Talon and tune it to run 12's?

PS If things go as planned, I'll prolly still put some money into my Focus.

And Mystic, have you had any problems with your Talon (is that what it is?)?
When I bought the car it ran fine for about 3 days, and then the timing belt snapped, which required a new piston and rod and a new head, but that is to be expected when such an item is neglected.. The timing belt should be done every 60k, I dont care what anyone says.. Other than that it is just typical maintinance, oil changes, trans fluid, t case, rear diff, etc. And I put an ACT 2100 in it because the stock 130k clutch was starting to show signs of death.. Other than that, it has been an extremely reliable, fun, and econimic car! Yes it is a Talon, a 91..
Old 06-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #34
fat pat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18326
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fat pat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystic32vCobra
When I bought the car it ran fine for about 3 days, and then the timing belt snapped, which required a new piston and rod and a new head, but that is to be expected when such an item is neglected.. The timing belt should be done every 60k, I dont care what anyone says.. Other than that it is just typical maintinance, oil changes, trans fluid, t case, rear diff, etc. And I put an ACT 2100 in it because the stock 130k clutch was starting to show signs of death.. Other than that, it has been an extremely reliable, fun, and econimic car! Yes it is a Talon, a 91..
wuss...shoulda gotten the 2600 my clutch blew not too long after i got the car, and swapped in the 2600...first time i drove it, i nearly had a heart attack from pushing that clutch in.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #35
focused2004
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 49158
What I Drive: 2004 silver frost zx5

FF Reputation: 1 focused2004 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TIMING BELTS!!! i had a 92 and the belt went on itfor the second time after 60,000kms they are notorous for going. when mine went it bent 8 valves like a snake.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #36
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i always liked theses cars, not that i could find one i good shpe up here though. someone riced out a first gen and now it's for sale, whadday tink? buy it and un rice the poor thing?
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #37
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt4chris View Post
I live in Delafield, in Waukesha county. The guy who owns the car is Will Mustas.

The Talon is red, with mostly stock parts. As I said, he put in an aftermarket clutch and flywheel and he replaced the tranny with one in better shape. The exhaust he put in there was made by ATR or some other 3 letter name with an A and R in there somewhere.

If you don't know the guy's name, I think Will's job has to do with computers, and he's 19 years old.
Holy shit, you live right by my house! I used to work at Wal Mart right there, unfortunately...first job, can't blame a kid--gotta start somewhere.

Cool.

What is a good year for the Talon? Or the Eclipse? I mean the best years...
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #38
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Check this one out!

And then THIS guy's asking DOUBLE bluebook value, and has the balls to say it's the cheapest GSX with this mileage. HA! (edit: just sent him an email telling him that he was asking double bluebook Just like whoever said that before in the Mustang thread, I HATE idiots like that that expect to get so much more out of their car!!!)

Good luck, dude.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #39
WUGcatsvt
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
tHIS tHREAD IS 4 MONTHS OLD... Where do people find these....
I Whooped a TSI once... It was my first Race in My SVT... Now it would kill me...
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #40
zx3frenzy
Banned

Fan#: 48499
What I Drive: 05 blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zx3frenzy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
i have been working on DSM's for a long time now, and i would recommend them to anyone who wants a good drag 4 cyl. first gens are very easy to put into the 12's. but you absolutely have to keep up maintenance. and the crankwalk thing is way overrated it was a problem during the swap year 93.5-95.5 and actually is only reported on less than 2% or these. and mostly is from people throwing 2900lb pressure plates on stock bottom ends. it was a thrust bearing design flaw for a small batch of motors. i always say to do ALL mileage maintenance that you dont have a proof of being done. and ONLY after that would i do any mods, but a tuned safc,550 injectors, an evo3 16g(make sure its not the chinese copy),3in exhaust,and a boost controller(can run about 22psi on this)and little misc. things will get you low 13's to high 12's. it is possible but very difficult for a novice tuner of these cars to get 12's on stock turbo. my fastest was 11.2 in my 93 gsx and that was 25psi pump never got the chance to run on my race tune (35psi on c16 with methanol) because i blew the tranny on that run. but some great sites to check out.
dsmtrader.com
dsmparts.com
buscherracing.com
shepracing.com
orldsm.com
slowboyracing.com
dsm.org
guy in orlando here has a high 10sec full interior street talon. shep racing has ran high 7's with LEATHER interior. our shop 2g was mid 10's with full interior also. and mine completly stock on 14psi with stripped interior ran 13.2's. cant beat an awd lauch. we use to tease our honda mechanic by taping a 20 dollar bill on the dash and told him if he could grab it by the end of second he could have it. never happened

Bookmarks & Social Networks