Sanding - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

Fan#: 18779
What I Drive: 2013 5.0

FF Reputation: 49 Ripped_06_ST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Sanding

I want to paint the interior trim on my car and I was wondering if I really have to sand because I really am not that good and will it come out ok if I don't sand it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
skattruggles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8417
What I Drive: 2004 zx3 2.3L pzev PITCH BLACK

FF Reputation: 1 skattruggles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
it will come out a million times better if you sand. You need an abrasive surface for the paint to stick to. Just give them a nice good run through and they'll come out fine.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
faufresh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12531
What I Drive: 01 Sangria Red Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 faufresh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yes, if your going to do any painting what-so-ever. Sanding is MANDATORY. It will give it an unmatched finished compared to unsanding, lengthen the life of the paint job, and just look a helluva lot better. You don't have to sand till it's uber gone, just a good run through like skat said. There's some excellent tutorials on this site. I also recommend getting Bulldog Adhesion Promoter and apply that before you primer. Any good auto shop will have it, hell even wal-mart has it! So have at it and post pics when done!

I may not agree with what you say, but i'll defend to the death your right to say it...
Old 05-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
You barely have to sand, it's extremely easy as the grit of the sand paper is very slight so you won't damage the parts at all. Honestly as mentioned you'll get a way better finished result in the end if you sand.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
Sting2324
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sanding is not mandotory. If you go to a Dupont certified shop, buy their Vinyl paint and a prevail sprayer and your all set. What's even better is that you can pick outta literally thousands of colors, even factory colors. The member, FociFosho, (sp) went this route. The Dupont Vinyl paint comes premixed with the adhesion promotor. You can even adjust the gloss from low to high. Just ask. If they say it can't be done, then tell them to add 306S. That's the high-gloss additive. Id go this route if i were ever to paint my interior simply because it'll give it a factory, clean look with the groves in the vinyl and not being completely smooth in one area than another.

--Randy
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
It's not as much an adhesion promotor but sanding gets rid of the bumpy texture on the stock parts as well as help the paint 'stick'. The stock finish (bumpy texture) is pretty minor but will be enhanced when you paint, will show the flaws alot more unless you sand.

All depends on the final look you want.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
scironzts
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 893
What I Drive: '04 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 scironzts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I used some adhesion promoter on my little triangle side vents, instead of sanding, and the paint didn't stick nearly as well. I'm going to have to sand it down, and redo the paint. Luckily, it was just the triangle vents, and not all the other interior pieces I want to do. Ha.

As others have said, sand it!! You will thank yourself in the long run.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

Fan#: 18779
What I Drive: 2013 5.0

FF Reputation: 49 Ripped_06_ST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
OK you guys make it sound really easy so i will sand.but one more question, the color of the outside of my car is twilight blue which is a dark blue almost black at night. Now what color do you guys think i should paint all the trim, i was thinking maybe silver or a lighter blue. any opinions would be appreciated!!
ST Crew #16
Think adoption before buying, give a needy animal a loving and caring home!
Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
Sting2324
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by scironzts
I used some adhesion promoter on my little triangle side vents, instead of sanding, and the paint didn't stick nearly as well. I'm going to have to sand it down, and redo the paint. Luckily, it was just the triangle vents, and not all the other interior pieces I want to do. Ha.

As others have said, sand it!! You will thank yourself in the long run.
I suppose you used Krylon? Did you clean the side vents before you painted? If so, what did you use to clean it? I know for a fact, because dealers and bodyshops do this, that peices do not have to be sanded for paint to stick, providing that you use the Dupont vinyl paint. As S2 said, the bumpy texture is stock finish, but wouldn't imperfections be more prominent on a smooth surface rather a surface that is randomly bumpy? S2, your absolutly right..It all depends on the final look that you want. If you want it smooth, then of course sand it down. If youd like to keep the factory look but not the color, get the Dupont Vinyl paint and your all set.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
scironzts
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 893
What I Drive: '04 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 scironzts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sharon: Go with silver. Will the inside real crisp.

Sting: Rinsed and cleaned with alcohol. Used Dupont adhesion promotor (for plastics). And then painted. And yeah, definitely not satisfied with the results. Redoing tonight.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.