Scam Products (ebay) - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Scam Products (ebay)

Below is a list of common scam products seen all over ebay for the Ford Focus. There must be hundreds of threads on the forum about these 'mods' and people still keep asking about them as if they are actually good mods or curious as to if they work. A few members as well as myself have mentioned there should be a sticky for these 'mods' that don't work and are basically scams. Below is a list of some of the more common ones out there as well as 'QUOTES' from various users and links to threads here on the forum that will explain why they don't work, etc.

Alot of these products are in the 'common sense' category as I put it. If you can get 50HP in gains from $129.99, it's common sense that it's a scam cause you can't get that much gains from ANYTHING for that price on ANY car. It really boils down to "you get what you pay for" and if it's cheap, it's more then likely crap.

The list is below, I will continue to update it as they 'change' the names and slight design of these products constantly as if to trick the buyer into some new technology.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Throttle Body (TB) Spacers

"no difference, the theory of a spacer does not even apply to a zetec engine. if the fuel was introduced at the tb it'd make a diff, but our fuel is shot into the head at the intake ports, so moving the tb up another inch or even 5" would make zero difference."

"never seen the jet in person, but i'd bet its crap. definitely not worth 200 bucks. the tb spacer is a joke. On some cars, where the fuel is introduced at the tb (tbi cars), you can possibly gain a bit from lengthening the tract and adding a swirl affect, but on our car it just moves the airfilter an inch farther away. haha. dont waste your money."

"as well as being a product that doesn't work on a focus, the TB spacer will raise the TB up an inch or so and if you have an aftermarket intake, the intake tube at the top of the TB will HIT the inside of the hood so you won't be able to close your hood and if you can, your intake tube will be mashed into the hood, not good.."

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=48042
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&threadid=9520

As well, I included a link below to a SEARCH of the forum on 'Throttle Body Spacers' as there has been a TON of threads on this, read for yourself.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...der=descending

Resistor

20 HP increase huh..... all for what, 0.10 cents... ha.

"It fools your ECU that the air is cooler outside to get more fuel or something but after a while. your ECU will figure out what you did and make the appropriate adjustments to make it right/stock."

"The reason that cars run better on cold days is because cold air is more dense than hot air. Air fuel ratio is based on the mass of air coming into the engine, not its volume. The colder the air charge, the more mass of air goes into the engine per stroke. The extra air mass requires more fuel for the proper ratio.

"Tricking" the ECU with a resistor will do nothing more than add extra gas to a warmer air charge. Like the post above says, it will just decrease mileage and richen the mixture (a potential real problem in "smog sniffer" states."

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=22734

Ebay Chips

There are several of these on ebay and probably alot more but these are the ones I've found lately on there. They are listed below.....

Redline Power Chip

Prologixx

Jet Module

Pro-Ax Chip

Precision Chip

Racing-X Chip

"haha no, it is a scam, countless versions of the same thing on ebay daily. I've sold on ebay for a long time, and I can assure you there is no way you can get that many feedbacks in one day without forging them, much less that many idiots that think "this thing added 3 feet to my burnout!"

My advice is walk away, save your money for mods that have been tested and proven. "

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=42666 <----- Redline Power Chip
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=43657 <----- Prologixx
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=13296 <----- Jet Module
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&threadid=2739 <----- Air Sensor Mod

Ebay Intake Tube Mods

Turbonator

Air Razor

Spiral Max

"It's crap. It may work with an older car that has a carb and no swirl/tumble built into the intake and ports, but it's a waste of money on a newer car like a Focus."

"Because this little addition will do nothing to mix the fuel and air more evenly. It is stuck so far forward in the intake of the system that by the time the air gets to the valve it won't be mixing anymore than if you didn't have the turbonator. The rest of the intake system, intake manifold, manifold runners, and cylinder head will have broken up the flow. The only reliable way to induce tumble or swirl in a cylinder to allow for better mixing is to do it right at the valve/cylinder head. You can do this by designing a shroud into the valve seat or by running a two intake valve system with valve deactivation where only one valve opens, and thus with it being offset it induces swirl. Bottomline, introducing swirl up at the front of the intake system won't do that much for fuel economy. If all it took was $70 to reliably do it, the OEMs would do it at half the cost and be upping their CAFE numbers like crazy.

The other issue is that swirl and tumble are just one of the many factors that come into play in designing an effecient running engine. They can't be optimized on their own without regard to the rest of the engine. The whole engine design has to be taken into account. Simply inducing more swirl or tumble, without fine tuning the whole system, doesn't do much. The manufacturers of the turbonator aren't doing that... they are just inducing random swirl.

Take it from someone that designs engines for a living and has a Masters in Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in combustion... this thing is crap! This may work on a carbed engine or one with throttle body injection as fuel and air mix futher up in the intake, but it is pointless with PFI or DI.

Sorry... had to get that off my chest."

More information about the Turbonator (direct from Putter-GLHT)

"I've run into it many times at the dealership where a customer has installed one before/after the MAF and the milage drops to single digits or won't run at all."

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...hreadid=300688 <----- Turbonator
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=46177 <----- Air Razor
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=35965 <----- Spiral Max

Electric Supercharger/Turbo

There are a ton of various reasons these things don't work, read through the threads below if you really want to know. There are more expensive models (electric) out there that do work but they cost as much as a real supercharger/turbo so using that 'common sense' people should have, if it's cheap, it's junk and doesn't work.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=42239
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=21828
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&threadid=4124

As well, I included two links below to a SEARCH of the forum on 'Electric Turbo/Supercharger' as there has been a TON of threads on this, read for yourself.

As mentioned above, if you know of any others, please PM me and let me know.

As well, this isn't about how bad 'ebay' is or anything like that, it's not completely about just 'scams' also as some of the mods above (well one) does work on other types of cars, they just don't work on the focus.

Also, please do a SEARCH on the forum for these 'mods' for more proof as to how they work (not not work) as I only posted up some quotes from 'reputable members' to help explain the reasoning why they don't work, etc. Search for yourself as I mentioned before, there are literally hundreds of threads on FF about these products.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

In addition to the 'mods' above that are all over ebay, there are several more below. These are always sold under different names for the products among other things. Either way it's basically the same thing, a knockoff of a real product. People need to quit supporting people/companies that basically copy a reputable 'brand name' companies products and make it their own. I also wanted to add, make sure you realize that you do 'GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR' as ebay is littered with cheap products that are made extremely poor.

Examples....

----------------------------------------------
Ebay/Bomz Coilover Springs

The ebay coilover springs are a perfect example. Some guy on here bought them, when he went to get an oil change and they put the car up on a hoist, the springs 'literally' fell out of the car. Suspension is something you NEVER want to cheap out on. Ride quality is severely diminished with cheap suspension components.

Ebay/Bomz/Universal Air Intakes

Another classic is the 'BOMZ' intakes, they are cheap, do work but are notorious for breaking, cracking, falling off the car, etc plus the air filter they come with is about as good as a wad of toilet paper duct taped to the intake pipe. There are also several other ebay intakes very similar to the BOMZ that are being sold all for very cheap. Basically it's the same idea, a knockoff of a real intake.

Ebay Short Throw Shifters

Ebay STS (Short Throw Shifters) are made extremely cheap. When a quality one costs under a $100 anyway, why get a $10 one off ebay. Some have had luck, alot haven't or have ended up switching them out within a short period of time for a quality one. Do it right, do it once. As well, keep in mind that alot of these 'so called' focus shifters don't even fit the focus, watch for the ebay listed modeo, uk model type shifters as they won't fit and are not made for the focus even though they state they are.

Ebay Pedal Covers

Ebay pedal covers are universal and don't fit the focus GAS PEDAL since it's got a curve to it. There are alot of pedal covers listed on ebay for the focus but they don't actually fit the focus. You have to have specific designed pedal covers to fit the focus and most of those come with a complete gas pedal replacement or are bent/curved to fit the focus gas pedal. Just a heads up.

Ebay Gauge Faces

Ebay reverse EL GLOW gauge faces DO NOT change from blue to green as advertised. I've installed them before and seen them in person. They fit decent but the wiring harness has 4 connectors on it, almost like it's a univeral adapter for something besides the focus. Doesn't come with instructions on the install and as mentioned, only has a dimmer switch to dim the amount of light from green to blue. It's more a light greenish blue to a dark greenish blue and doesn't even compare to the pics as shown by the advertisers.

They are also now selling replacement gauge glow transformers which are basically replacing the cheap ones that come with your ebay gauges with a new 'cheap' one. Your again, not learning the first time, you buy the gauges, they suck, lighting sucks, well sure, go and buy a new transformer for them, by the same company, oh yeah, that'll work... LOL

Ebay Headlight Bulbs

Cheap headlight bulbs on ebay are exactly that, they do work but don't last very long and can and will melt the headlight housing due to the increased wattage. I've seen this in person before also as well as on this site. The bulbs burn alot hotter then stock ones and can melt the actual housing due to the increased heat.

Ebay Projector Headlights

Ebay projectors (no lens) that are basically knockoffs of the Hella and Ford Racing style headlights are also not very good. There was a guy on another focus site that actually had his headlights melt and cause a fire. When it comes to lighting, cheaping out on anything electrical isn't very smart. I've seen these in person and the wiring is very poor.

Ebay Universal Strut Bars

Ebay strut bars for the upper towers (engine bay) never fit properly. They are of a universal design so your going to have fitment issues with the majority of the aftermarket intakes as well as with the fuse box in the engine bay. Most of the time they don't even fit. When you can buy a strut brace for $5 what do you expect though?

Old 09-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Tailpipe Spiral Max

QUOTE: The Turbo Exhaust Tube is installed at the tailpipe. It will fit round, oval, or concentric, tailpipes. The Turbo Exhaust Tube generates a spiral exhaust flow, which creates a vacuum that expels the hot exhaust air out faster, thus lowering the back pressure and allowing the engine to breath better. The design is such that the unit is continuously tuned to your engine's RPM, and is self-tuning for various driving conditions. For the insert type you may install one or more units.

Breathe better huh.... ummmm ok.

http://www.spiralmax.com/tet.htm

Cheap Ebay Air Filters

Your just throwing your money in the toilet with these, in fact, speaking of toilets, a roll of asswipe will filter the air better then these. They are made extremely cheap, if you pay $1 for a filter, I guess you get what you deserve.

GOOOOOOOOOOO ATOMIC FOCUS!! wOOt!! LOL

Cheap $6.95 Ebay Side View Mirrors

Well of course you get what you pay for. Good luck getting these to fit properly. Not only are they illegal (blue leds), they are extremely poor and risking bad vision (cheap mirrors) which may cause you to cut someone off, sure saving money is a good thing but the risk is much greater.

Don't bother.....

Cheap 'two bit' Titanium wooooo Mufflers

Yeah, not only will these not fit, you'll have to reinvent some sort of coathanger type mount to even get it to attach to your car. I can JUST IMAGINE how crappy this will sound, better off just shoving a potato in your stock exhaust or going with the 'infamous' turbo/supercharger sound whine thing.....

Cheap Spark Plug Wires

About the only thing these are good for is for tying together and hanging yourself in the shitter after you buy these and realize later, that they are crap times 20,000.....

Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Magnetic Gas Savers

WTF is this suppose to be, oh yeah, I put a sticker on my car and I save 30MPG+ (can't forget the plus.... ha.)

The Xtreme Magnetic Inoizer produces a strong magnetic field within your gas line. This causes hydrocarbon fuel clusters that form in the gas tank to breakup, resulting in more complete combustion of the available fuel. The vehicles onboard computer will notice the change, and will react by decreasing the amount of fuel delivered to the engine.

By breaking up fuel clusters, the Xtreme Magnetic Ionizer increases horsepower and fuel economy. Lab tests conducted by the EPA on fuel line ionizers showed results as high as 10% gains in horsepower and 15% increases in mileage. Although results varied from vehicle to vehicle, there were gains across the board, and considering the price, ease of install, and maintenance free operation, the Extreme Magnetic Ionizer is a worthwhile investment.

30 Day Satisfaction Guarentee... wOOt!!

Cheap Universal Car Alarms

These don't work, they are not worth the money, a thief would just laugh at you with this. He's probably leave your stereo in the car though, for sympathy for your pathetic ass if you buy this. Sad sad piece of crap..... I wouldn't put this on my lawnmower, let alone my car.

Cheap Foglights

Do yourself a favor, next time you go and fill up your car, turn the fog lights on and light up a cigarette with a match (very important).... you'll thank me later.

You get what you pay for, these, oh yeah, probably illegal also....

Unlock Digital Dash

COMPLETE SCAM, you can do this for free. There is a HOW TO below to unlock the dash yourself for your focus.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/electronicodometer/

Last edited by S2; 02-24-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147805

Another 'scam' that I've heard of before on ebay, please refer to the following thread regarding "Shopper's Discounts" which result in a monthly fee being charged to your credit card, etc if you sign up (to which, apparently sometimes you can't avoid when purchasing).

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks