02 ZX5 Rear Hatch Rust - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2003, 03:05 PM   #1
CDSilver5DoorSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2262
What I Drive: Waiting For The Cobras Point By....

FF Reputation: 13 CDSilver5DoorSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (39)
02 ZX5 Rear Hatch Rust

Anyone else have any problems with there Zx5 rusting around the molding on the rear hatch. Mine is on the LH Corner. Noticed mine about a month ago and I have been talking to the dealership about getting it fixed. Just got word today that there is a service bullitin on the Zx5's now. They will replace the strip and fix the rust. Just letting all ZX5ers know and wondering if anyone else had any probs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
00focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1594
What I Drive: 2000 Focus Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 00focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
a friend of mine has a 01 zx3 with the same problem,, also with leaking around the window

jt evo 5front and rear, evo fogs, evo-5 exhaust, ww side skirts, halo hl, 17"rev model 12 rims(black) with dunlop sport fm 901 rubber,easystreet air ride suspension with ride pro digital management,debadged, dvd with 7.2" monitors, fc antenna, euro grille
-BoB-

Last edited by 00focus; 12-30-2003 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
YELLOW BIRD
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2015
What I Drive: '05 Toyo Matrix Black Sand Pearl --used to drive '03 ZX5 eggyolk yellow

FF Reputation: 1 YELLOW BIRD Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
SilverZX5....thanks for the info....I'll be keeping a close eye on that....mine is an '03 but u never know...again thanks
Old 12-30-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
knightm3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1861
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 knightm3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rust problems on car that's a year old. That's CRIMINAL.

"Ten-Pointer" body kit, including:
Bambi Fender Relocation Mod
Bambi Bumper Separation Mod
Bambi Foglight Realignment Mod
Deer-sensing, laser-guided beam cannon [sold separately]
Old 12-30-2003, 05:28 PM   #5
fokuzsport
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 418
What I Drive: Pitch black FoKuZ zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzsport Good Standing Member
your talking about the chrome strip in the back right?

i have heard of those rusting after only a few months..
Old 12-30-2003, 08:12 PM   #6
bfocused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63
What I Drive: I now drive a 2009 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 bfocused Good Standing Member
Hmmm Haven't seen that problem yet. Is this rust coming from the attachment studs for the rear moulding? Mine moulding is painted body color. You are talking about the trim piece that houses the license plate lights, right?

If yours is rusting Ford should replace that under the basic bumper to bumper 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
CDSilver5DoorSVT
Focus Addict

Basiclly what looks like happen is that the chome strip(black on the ZX3), when the intalled it either cut into the paint or chiped it or what ever on the outter most lip of the LH corner of the molding.........I guess they redesigned the strip or something(that is sad even typing).............so it took almost 2 years for it to fester up and finally became noticable..........I'm even going to try to push to get a new hatch as well.........I really don't feel safe with them only sanding out the rust..........it is the size of nickel but I don't know how bad it is under the paint.............I guess I am at the mercy of Ford.........but with a brother as a Tech I shouldn't have much problem............I will try to post pics soon so everyone can inspect theres...........
Old 12-31-2003, 12:22 AM   #8
bfocused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63
What I Drive: I now drive a 2009 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 bfocused Good Standing Member
SilverZx5
As a former Ford warranty administrator (for body concerns) here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Ford's warranty for rust is this, the body panel has to have perforation, caused by rust. In other words there has to be a hole (pin-holes count too) in the panel. You may or may not have this. The rust warranty was 5 years unlimited milage then, I don't have the current info at hand.

But, you could also claim paint damage, which is covered under the basic 3 yrs 36,000 mile warranty.
I see you have a 2002, so if you are not over in mailage, you should be covered. And if you have a connection in the business, you should be able to get it covered.
Your color is some what easy to match, so that shouln't be a concern.

If it were my call I would repair the area, refinish and replace the trim and hardware. Well, good luck, I hope you can get your Focus back to health again.
bfocused
Old 12-31-2003, 01:01 AM   #9
teddyrob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1500
FF Reputation: 3 teddyrob Good Standing Member
i remember my 02 zx3 had a paint defect which didnt show up for many months. it was on the bottom right corner of the tailgate, and it was a small bubble of rust (or defect, but either way it looked like hell). it actually stuck out from the smooth line of the tailgate and i couldnt stop looking at it once i noticed it. it must have been there from day one but over time got bigger until i noticed it...ill try and find a pic and post if anyones interested...silverzx5 you say its the size of a nickel?? god thats horrible.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:20 AM   #10
CDSilver5DoorSVT
Focus Addict

He's a pic of the area...........it bubbled out around the edge and then it extends under the molding...........so check yours out to see if it suffered the same fate...........I just uploaded it so it might be a little while before it is approved..........

http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery....php?photo=617

Bookmarks & Social Networks