How to remove/replace headlight bulb? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
03zx3hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23396
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03zx3hatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question How to remove/replace headlight bulb?

Supposed to be dummy proof, I know....can anyone make sense of this for me? This image is directly from my Ford Manual:

Swivel the clip which way? where is the clip? If I stick my hand in I can gently pull the bulb and bulb holder/connector back and turn it slightly, but it doesn't want to come out.....help please!

96 VW Passat GLX
93 5.0 Mustang GT
88 Buick Skylark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
The clip is the BLACK (darker black then the rest in the diagram) and you have to push it in and then twist it slightly while pushed in and it'll come out. You have to release the clip first (it's a pressure clip that holds the bulb in place).
Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
03zx3hatch
Focus Enthusiast

ok that sheds some light....i see the black clip in the diagram, which looks to be at the bottom (is it underneat the bulb connector/holder?)....the directions say swivel it.....you say push it in...i'll try that now....

edit: this is ridiculous. bloody knuckles from changing a light bulb? from what i can tell there is absolutely nothing in there that remotely resembles the black clip in that picture, nor can i find anything that swivels or even pushes in. there is some sort of a silver clip that goes along the right side of the back of the bulb there, but i can only get it to move a bit, it won't swivel or open up like a hinge....

edit2: that was one of the most painful experiences of my life. there is a thumb piece of the clip near the top left of each bulb backing that needs to be "unlatched"...too bad they never tell you this. i unlatched it and the hinge comes downward releasing the bulb....what a nightmare.....the worst part is i let some moisture into my driver's headlight....who knows if it will dissipate now.

96 VW Passat GLX
93 5.0 Mustang GT
88 Buick Skylark

Last edited by 03zx3hatch; 05-23-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
c_zielsdorf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16834
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 c_zielsdorf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, I changed my bulbs about a month ago. By far the most difficult thing I have done so far!(see my mods)
Ford deserve a good slap for that one!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
03zx3hatch
Focus Enthusiast

I'm an expert now.

I put in silverstars..they look great. the fog removal process was what I expected of the headlights: the simple unplug and twist routine of most auto light bulbs.

96 VW Passat GLX
93 5.0 Mustang GT
88 Buick Skylark

Last edited by 03zx3hatch; 05-25-2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
SVTJackl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23313
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 SVTJackl Good Standing Member
As my daughter would say "Holy Moly!!!!!!" It's a b_tch to do this!!! I can't see any clips if my life depended on it. I've felt around and can't see or feel cr_p! Does anyone know if the dealer will install them for you? I'm dropping off my car to do an oil change and alignment tonight.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
zedeater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17864
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF/1994 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 zedeater Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Dumbest method to retain headlight bulbs I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was total BS. Took me like 2 hours.
#3038 of 3985
SVT SQUAD #70
Old 05-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
SVTJackl
Focus Enthusiast

Well, Someone told me not to mention to the dealer since it may void the warranty and I don't want to do that. I guess I'll try again in a few days when I get time. I thought that as long as you got a replacement that was spec'd in the ford replacement guide(manual) that it should be a non issue? I would assume that Sylvania Silverstars are direct replacement bulbs for the factory types, right? Even if they are brighter or don't last as long they should have the same spec or equiv type as specified! Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
03zx3hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTJackl
As my daughter would say "Holy Moly!!!!!!" It's a b_tch to do this!!! I can't see any clips if my life depended on it. I've felt around and can't see or feel cr_p! Does anyone know if the dealer will install them for you? I'm dropping off my car to do an oil change and alignment tonight.

you won't see the clips until you actually release it, if that makes any sense. the easiest way to describe this method is:

1)remove rubber bulb cover from back of headlight assembly unit under the hood

2)with *small hands* reach into the assembly and feel for the clip release. [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]it is located just to the top left of square wiring clip that is plugged into the back of the bulb. (NEAR the red circle in my diagram below) once you feel the clip push it with your thumb to the right and down a bit to "unlatch" it. as soon as it unlatches, you will feel the pressure of it release and it will hinge towards you. at this point the bulb is loose and will come out with some careful fenagling. try not to get the wires from the wiring clip caught in the latch clip.

I revised the Ford Diagram to be a bit more explanatory:

the good news is putting the new ones in is much easier:

1)make sure clip is unlatched and hinged towards you.

2)insert new bulb carefully (single center tab of bulb back is on top), guide into place (look into headlight from front to make sure its in)

3)reposition clip and latch it with thumb to lock bulb in place

4)push wiring clip onto bulb.

96 VW Passat GLX
93 5.0 Mustang GT
88 Buick Skylark

Last edited by 03zx3hatch; 05-25-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
SVTJackl
Focus Enthusiast

When you say Top left, is that while your looking at the headlight or as your facing the street as if you were the headlight pointing out? Thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks