do our cars have learning programs - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12277
What I Drive: 2005 white focus zx3

FF Reputation: 5 cruzstyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
do our cars have learning programs

i wouldnt thinkn that our cars have this feature but u never know. the BIG brother of our cars the mustang has a learning program. that adapts to its driver. hence why every mustang gt that is out there is different. the computer in those cars records home it is driven on a daily basis up until it reaches aprox. 10,000 miles at which point the computer sets the timing curve air-fuel ratio to best fit your driving needs. if u drive like a grandma the cars sets the settings for a grandma. now i wasent sure how true this was when my father-in-law told me so my friends and i did our own lil test. each of my friends has a 2004 mustang gt one is red and one is orange. the red driver drove hard and raced all the time. driving the car like a sports car should be driven, until 10k. now the orange driver drove like a grandma and has never raced shift at recomended RPM's and babies the car, until 10k now its been a lil over a yr since we started this. we ran 3 1/4 mile runs and thisis what we go

1. red driver won a whole car length.
2. we switched drivers to see what would happen and still with them driving eachothers cars the red gt still wont this time by only 3/4's a car Length . so we think the ornage driver is a better driver he is 11 yrs older then the red driver
3. again the red driver won by a lil more then 3/4s a car.

now other things that we noticed. the red gt has a nice roar to the exhaust while the ornage gt is very quiet. also the red gt idles about 400 more then the orange gt.

so does anyone know if this program is the same for the foci?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I can't recall hearing about a learning program for Foci...

One thing I can think of, that's related. I've heard that the Arrow shiftlight, annoying and granny at first, will eventually start lighting up more where its driver shifts after a while. I don't have the mtx so I can't attest to its veracity, but I've heard it on more than one occasion.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
zrt800ho
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22072
What I Drive: 2004 ztw 2.3 2005 zx3 non pzev

FF Reputation: 1 zrt800ho Good Standing Member
i 100% agree with LIL' PZEV. on my 05' zx3 when brand new the idoit(aka shift light) hardly ever came on. now with approx. 1500 miles on it, it shines more often. i'm leaving in 2 weeks(from ohio to 50 miles south of atlanta) for a month long school, i hope that light burns out when i'm in the mountains! that's one warranty repair my dealer has no worries of ever seeing from my foci!!
Old 05-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
redsvtfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22850
What I Drive: red focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 redsvtfoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i know my friends mach 1 does he got a procharger on it its almost tuning itself i know every couple weeks that thing get faster and its not tuned
SVT SQUAD #173
Old 05-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
Onyx flash
Focus Addict

Fan#: 19859
What I Drive: 05' pitch black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Onyx flash Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
yeah i heard that too bcause my mpg suck big time (wayyy worse than my modded zetec) so the dealership told me that they have the learning programs in the foci (atleast for the 05's that i know of)
Old 05-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #6
zrt800ho
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22072
What I Drive: 2004 ztw 2.3 2005 zx3 non pzev

FF Reputation: 1 zrt800ho Good Standing Member
if this makes any sense to anyone. (sorry i'm on some serious pain killers right now) it seems that my 05' zx3 has 2 modes of power! when i'm poking around(driving in a civil way) the shift light comes on all the time. when i'm running late to catch my train, it just seems to know! when i had less than 500 miles on the car, i had to tach it out for the light to even flicker!
Old 05-25-2005, 04:43 AM   #7
Vertigo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 19022
What I Drive: 2005 French Blue ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Vertigo Good Standing Member
Every Ford (all newer cars for that matter) have a program called fuzzy logic. It basically learns your driving habits, shift points (manual or automatic) and changes its fuel ratio on how you drive. If you disconeccted the battery, and drove it hard and kept driving it hard it would work very well but if you drive like a grandma and then stomp on it. It might be a bit lacking.

When it first came out it was very quick and caused a lot of drivability concerns because of fleet customers. One driver would get in and then another would and complain on how it handled. Also on customers with familiys that had more than one driver. Dealerships would have to reset the computer to relearn. Since then they made it slower to and a bit stupider to accomodate for many different drivers.

I don't know if the GT has something extra but all cars have at least adaptive strategy and fuzzy logic (OBDII)
Old 05-25-2005, 05:48 AM   #8
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
Regarding the Mustang test....

Did the two Mustangs race BEFORE the experiment began? Even though two cars are 'identical' one will always be faster than the other. A friend used to test for Honda. They would bring a whole trailer truck full of bikes to the dragstrip and he would run them all. One was always faster than the rest and, of course, one was the dog. Most fell in the middle but there was a substantial difference between the slowest and fastest.

The ATX cars are probably more adaptable as they learn their shift strategies and this could really change the performance. One would tend to shif harder than the other and this would make it quicker. MTX shouldn't make that much difference at WOT because the program doesn't look at the O2 sensor and runs off of a fixed map. I think only the fuel trim #'s would affect the cars. If one had a richer # it would probably out drag the leaner one. It would be interesting to scan both cars and record all the particulars to see if there IS a difference.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
haunted_battleship
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20362
What I Drive: 1999/2001 Subaru LGT/Forester

FF Reputation: 1 haunted_battleship Good Standing Member
i think he is right about the car learning ur abilities .about 10k after i bought it i noticed it has a nice rumble to her my cousin has one identical to mine an drives normal (i drive hard on week ends) his is quiet to the point you have to rev it to hear it mine sits an purs to where i get asked to open my hood to see how many hamsters i got running around . and i rev a bit higher 500-800rpm higher, we've even raced when we first got the cars an last weekend we did a king of the hill,1/4 run and a 0-top end an i left him behind like he wasnt tring but i could here him tring to catch up at an average i beat him by 2-5 car lengths.

BTW what everyones usual launch RPM ?
im around 4500-4800 rpm an get fairly good results

Team Duratec # 42
Old 06-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
FocusWRCKrakow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3207
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FocusWRCKrakow Good Standing Member
All ECU in all types of cars have some type of "learning" curve. When you pop a CAI on a car, the ECU will see the diff temp or air flow or whatnot, and adjust to it. It will presume that the next time you stomp on it, nearly the same parameter would be there. Just my two cents.

Bookmarks & Social Networks