05 Cobra powerplant news - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Talking 05 Cobra powerplant news

MODERN SVT SUPERCHARGING DELIVERS OLD-FASHIONED SHELBY ‘BIG-BLOCK' POWER

Just as the original big-block Shelby GT500 was a big step up from the small-block GT350, the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 show car's 5.4-liter V-8 is a big step up from the 4.6-liter V-8 used in the previous-generation SVT Mustang Cobra.

In fact, the 5.4-liter, 32-valve, supercharged V-8 configuration is similar to that of the 2005 Ford GT supercar, offering the right combination of classic Ford big-block power and modern technology. The result: More than 450 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque.

Using the Ford GT as a blueprint, SVT has given the GT500 more total horsepower than any factory Mustang in the muscle car's celebrated 41-year history.

“We are applying our Ford GT engine experience to the GT500 to bring over 450 horsepower to a much bigger enthusiast audience,” says Jay O'Connell, SVT chief vehicle engineer. “It really delivers on the essence of two great names in Ford performance – a mix of SVT's modern-day experience with supercharging and the Shelby GT500's heritage of big-block power.”

Engine internals upgraded for supercharging's power increase

With the stout cast-iron, 5.4-liter Triton V-8 engine as a starting point, the Shelby Cobra GT500 adds a screw-type 8.5-pounds-per-square-inch supercharger and water-to-air intercooler.

But, adding forced-induction power is more than just a bolt-on proposition. The engine's internals need upgrading for the sake of strength and durability. To that end, the Shelby Cobra GT500's powerplant benefits from unique connecting rods and forged pistons to handle the extra strain on the lower end of the block.

An all-new intake manifold helps to efficiently channel the supercharged fuel-air mixture into the cylinders. The low-profile manifold design also effectively packages the entire induction system under the GT500's special air-extraction hood. Fuel comes from a dual-bore electronic throttle body borrowed from Ford's 6.8-liter truck engine program. To manage heat produced by 450-plus horses, a larger radiator and increased-capacity cooling system also are installed.

Aluminum, high-performance Ford GT heads tout “Powered by SVT”

While supercharging is a key element in the Shelby Cobra GT500's ability to generate so much horsepower, another major contributing component is the design of the cast-aluminum, four-valve cylinder heads sourced from the Ford GT supercar.

Developed specifically for supercharged applications, these high-performance heads use high-flow ports and specially calibrated dual-overhead camshafts to deliver optimum engine “breathing” along with surprisingly good fuel efficiency and emissions. Also borrowed for use in the GT500 are the Ford GT's proven piston rings and connecting rod bearings.

To enthusiasts, the real beauty of any performance car rests with its engine. That idea certainly wasn't lost on Carroll Shelby because Mustangs that bore his name have traditionally brought his unique sense of style and personality right into the engine compartment. One Shelby signature feature – special finned valve covers embossed with “COBRA Powered By Ford” – soon became the envy of so many Ford V-8 owners that they quickly became one of the best-selling dress-up accessories on the market.

With that in mind, the GT500 is equipped with special “Powered by SVT” finned cam covers to hint at the beauty of 450-plus horses lurking inside. Mated to the Ford GT four-valve cylinder heads are unique exhaust manifolds that help to better scavenge spent gases out of the cylinders and into the custom-tuned mufflers and dual-exhaust system.

Strong, proven manual transmission to harness segment-busting power

Few transmissions exist in the marketplace today that can handle the torque loads generated by the supercharged GT500, so SVT engineers opted to stick with the proven heavy duty performance of the T-56 six-speed manual gearbox for the new Shelby. The T-56 first appeared in the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, which was powered by a naturally aspirated 5.4-liter V-8 with 385 horsepower, and later in the supercharged 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra, whose DOHC 4.6-liter produced 390 horses. For the Shelby Cobra GT500 show car, the T-56 is geared to make the most out of the supercharged 5.4-liter's broad power band
Thought that it was pretty cool that there using the ford GT's engine design

Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i want one of these.....sooo badly but i cannot get it.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Silver03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
OMG that is such a tease. But who am I kidding, I couldnt afford a 40k+ car like that. Not to mention feeding it and paying insurace.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here's a link to svt's page
http://www.svt.ford.com/vehicleGT500.asp
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
mrfatride
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21759
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 42 mrfatride Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver03SVT
OMG that is such a tease. But who am I kidding, I couldnt afford a 40k+ car like that. Not to mention feeding it and paying insurace.
umm im pretty sure the gt-500 is gonna be under 40k
2009 SES Coupe #036
MECP Certified Installer
Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
firefightergarcia
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11406
What I Drive: 03' Infrared ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 firefightergarcia Good Standing Member
No way it's under 40 not to mention limited availability...Shit down here they had 5k on the 05 mustangs..Does anyone remember the 00 Cobra"R"
Old 05-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
edweird
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21605
What I Drive: 03 SVTF 01 Cobra 00 Cobra R

FF Reputation: 1 edweird Good Standing Member

Yep. Mine's #154 of 300. The original buyer paid $62,000, which included a 7k dealer markup more than the $54,995 MSRP. I got it for much less a couple years ago, with 6k miles on it. It has almost 11k miles on it now, including 5 open track days.

If what SVT says about the production numbers (7000 I think) on the GT500's is true, I think only the folks that have to get one right away are going to be gouged bad by dealer markups.

Heck, even Ford GT prices are falling below 200k now.

My insurance on the 00R is less than a $100 more every six months, than the SVTF's. It helps to be old and have no tickets/accidents/claims.

Ed
Old 05-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
One of my favorite cars of all time is that Cobra R. You are very lucky to have one, I've only had the priviledge of sitting inside one of them. How much did you pay for it?

This GT500 is going to be a beast. It will definitely not be under 40K, but for what it's packing 40K is a small price to pay. Can't wait to see it in action!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->