2000-2004 Ford Focus Rear Tire Wear - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-29-2003, 11:49 AM   #1
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation '00-'04 Focus Rear Tire Wear

FYI
Quote:
17 October 03
Robert Lane

Ford Motor Company told dealers that they may need to replace the rear upper control arms on Ford Focus models. The models include: 2000 through 2004 Focus Sedan, Wagon, ZX3 and ZX5 series.

According to Ford, consumers have been experiencing more than normal wear to the inside of the rear tire(s). Should owners experience such a condition, then they should bring their vehicle in to a Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealership for a possible adjustment. Ford will check the rear camber and, if possible, make an adjustment. If an adjustment to the vehicle's rear camber is necessary beyond the negative end of specification, then the dealership will need to source replacement rear upper control arm(s)."

The Ford Motor Company parts service kit required for this replacement is 3S4Z-1A154-AA. Ford will perform the replacement of parts under provisions of the bumper to bumper warranty under TSB T31305.

This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition. Owners should contact Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area.

Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

It's your money - demand a better product and Ford will listen.

Updates at BlueOvalNews.com

Last edited by Jake; 12-29-2003 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Thanks for the info. I remember reading this on here somewhere. I'm gonna bring to the dealers attention when I go and get my oil changed next time.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
oracleguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73
What I Drive: 02 Cloud9 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 oracleguy Good Standing Member
You are probably thinking of: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&threadid=3801
02 Cloud9 ZTS - Windows tinted, Volant Cold Air Intake, FC 65mm Throttle Body, Phoenix Gold speakers, clear corner lenses, fog light mod, 2.25in Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Redline Tuning hood quick lift kit.

SVT Upper Front Grill and Euro lower grill is up next.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Yep that's the one.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Sorry for the repeat. Maybe others, like myself, missed the first posting.

I don't think this TSB/ silent recall is the end of the world. In fact, we are probably getting better rear end treaction becase of it(-thats a guess-so tech heads, don't go nuts.)

I'm certainly going to have my dealer take a look at the rear alignment. Like the guy says,
"demand a better product and Ford will listen."

(well it can't hurt anyway)

Last edited by Jake; 12-29-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
This makes me wonder. I follow the book and rotate tires every 5000 miles. Wonder if I'll even see it...
Old 12-29-2003, 03:12 PM   #7
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
probly won't see it.. and the dealer won't do a thing about it unless there is obvious wear. They probly won't even put it on the alignment machine
ST crew #18
Old 12-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #8
XxDRIVERxX
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1104
What I Drive: '04 SRT-4, '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

FF Reputation: 1 XxDRIVERxX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Back brought the dead thread on accident I ment to post here
But I checked mine and theres not any abnormal wear.. Then again I have like 2700miles

-Shawn
Old 09-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Neep
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 39242
What I Drive: 2000 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 1 Neep Good Standing Member
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my rear end and this could be it. I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea if I'm right or not.

I've got a 2000 ford focus LX with some really horrid looking Rear Camber. I took it in to have a four wheel alignment performed, and the rear end came back as in tolerance (actualy it came back as perfect), but judging by the tire wear and just visualy looking at the rear end, the camber has to be off. It's a 2000, I've had it for 6 years now, I've never replaced a tire before hand based upon tread wear (Meaning I ran something over before the tires wore out... I'm competent like that.)

The car has been rear ended before. No huge damage there, a little fender bender in bumper to bumper traffic.... except I did have to drive off of the hood of the person who rearended me. But that was around 2002.

The biggest recent changes are new rims from a ZTX (I think) installed when I needed to get new rims due to some big damage from a large pothole (on the front end [four new rims though, but only the front hit the pothole]) They were installed about a year ago, my (now x-)girlfriend had been driving it for the last year and a half and noticed a clicking noise in the rear when you hit a bump. I can duplicate it through sharp, short changes in direction, and the rear end "floats" when going around a turn that is not completly flat (there's one turn if I hold the stearing wheel perfectly still, the rear end will sway left and right a little bit in the turn)

I'm trying to figure out what this is and what caused it, and so far my last hope after here is the dealership, where they charge me 90 bucks to look at it, and through previous repairs with them, I know they're not the most competint of folks... or cheap.

Anyone have any idea if this could be my problem, or if something else has happened to my car's rear end?

If pictures would help, I can get them, I just didn't think to.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
2002red
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34302
What I Drive: 2002 red sedan

FF Reputation: 3 2002red Good Standing Member
I had a some noise in my rear suspension before I switched to the aftermarket setup. It was from some small stones lodged in the lower coil spring seat in the lower control arm. Yours may be a similar situation....
Zetec Crew #83
02 sedan ---> now an SC'd se. Now intercooled 201whp & 186wtq on 93 octane

Hey -- we don't know nothing about kids. So if you need something... Find it yourself. Or better yet, learn to do without.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->