Marcy CAI and Borla catback installed!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
G17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 10256
What I Drive: 2004 2.3 TwiBlue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 G17 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Marcy CAI and Borla catback installed!!!

Woohoo!! Wow i didn't know installing the cai was going to be such a %@#$@. Took me about 6 hours to complete. I guess kinda hard if your a noob and don't have all the right tools. If i had to do it again i probably do it in 2 hours. Had to scrounge for some of the tools. Some of the bolts took some contortioning to get too. If you have extremely fat fingers and arms, good luck your gonna need it

I havent floored my car yet to see the full seat of the pants gains yet but will soon. the borla catback sounds awesome. Nice deep tone.....loudest around 1.5-2 rpms then gets progressively quieter. Exhaust is quiet at 75mph....thank god. It doesnt sound ricer at all.....thank god again

My borla catback came in a box that said for 2003-2004 ZX4....which kinda scared me....i was like wtf....damn is it going to fit....because at the place i ordered it, it said for 2003-2004 2.3 zx3......i looked underneath my car and compared the exhausts.....looked similar enough so i went ahead anyway and cut off my stock exhaust....it installed perfectly.....i only paid $350 + 30 shipping for it new!!....good price i think

Fitment of borla catback is perfect. Fitment of MM cai are near perfect but its probably just my fault. the mm cai would be a perfect install if i do some additional adjusting but its good enough. i could only get two of the four bolts back on when reinstalling the filter shield. but its pretty secure so im not worring about it coming off so i think im going to leave as is since it seems like its covering the whole area so no water will get in either.

I heard some people complaining about the look of the mm cai before. Yea when i opened the box i was a little disappointed.....but the blue is a nice blue shade....mm cai are also at a great price......and I dont really gives a %$#$$#@ what it really looks like as long as i get good gains....hehe

i did notice a little chirp noise like a bird from the intake as well. Damn i need to hurry and go test my car out. what am i doing here typing...haha.....

thanks to all here that helped me decide all these parts......this community is so helpful

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Good choice on mods, get out there and test drive your "new" car... it's gonna feel awesome I promise! And sound cool to boot!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
SD_Focus

Fan#: 11575
What I Drive: 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0

Points 7,903, Level 59
Points: 7,903, Level: 59 Points: 7,903, Level: 59 Points: 7,903, Level: 59
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 34 SD_Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
6 hours??? I though I took me a long time my first time it took me two hours. My second time I installed it in under 45 minutes and it was very dark at midnight. Mine fits perfect and I love my cai
SoCal Crew #21
Old 05-18-2005, 02:11 AM   #4
G17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

yup 6 hours.....didn't really know what i was doing....i could change it out much faster now....i thought the exhaust was gonna take me longer but it didn't.....it took about 3 hours.....guess it helped having a power saw......but the four jacks i had didn't raise the car very high.....so it was kinda hard to cut with the limited space

update on mm cai: i started getting a vibration noise from the intake.....i think it was coming from the intake rattling against some piece of metal right next to the filter shield......so i had to readjust the intake.....and i put 5 cotton face wipe pads in between the intake and the piece of metal cuz i dont know if i adjusted it enough.....haha.....plus i think it would give it would reduce some vibration.......i should get a piece of rubber and put it in there

after doing this i tested my car and the sound went away now....wheww......still havent checked out the power gained yet.....guess ill check on the highway onramp on my way to work

anybody else put something in between that piece of metal sticking out right next to the filter shield and lower intake?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #5
sdmike6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20657
FF Reputation: 1 sdmike6 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yeah it's the rubber vibration bolt that comes in the kit .
Old 05-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
G17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

i installed the rubber vibration bolt but there is a piece of metal to the right of it that sticks out which is sorta close to my intake.....its about 1/3 inch away.....i was worried that was causing the vibration noise......so thats where i put the face wipes
Old 05-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
G17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

oh yea and after readjusting my intake i was able to better align the intake and now i can get all four bolts of my filter shield back on
Old 05-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
Garick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6143
What I Drive: 03 2.3l Twilight Blue Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Garick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The intake was a real pita for me too. Getting the stock bolts out and then getting everything aligned nice was the worst. Maybe some long extensions would have helped. Where did you get your Borla from?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
Kaduku
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21422
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 Liquid Grey Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 Kaduku Good Standing Member
Nice job. 6 hours is pretty long to install a CAI but you did it! BTW, what type of tools did you need, just normal basic tools? Or technical ones like hex wrenches and stuff?

Japanese Engine, European Model, American Designed, Mexican made, Michigan/Wisconsin Manufactured = FORD FOCUS
Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #10
Eway
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21663
What I Drive: French blue 2004 2.3L PZEV SE Wagon and 2005 2.0L PZEV ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Eway Good Standing Member
Hey is the borla exhaust you put it fairly quiet? I heard from another thread they arent too loud and got a nice sound to em. I got a focus wagon and wanted something with a deep tone that is not too loud.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.