MPG poll - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: What is your MPG
0-10 10 0.40%
10-20 90 3.56%
20-25 522 20.62%
25-30 977 38.60%
30-35 678 26.79%
35-40 204 8.06%
40+ 50 1.98%
Voters: 2531. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #41
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
my recent fill up:
2003 ZX3
34mpg, 160miles on freeway cruising at 65mph, (me + 2 passengers in car)

Technique I use:
get it rolling in 1st, then immediately into 2nd
50-75% gas, shift into 3rd around 3,000RPM
give 75% gas, then shift into 4th around 2800
give 75% gas, then shift into 5th around 2800

You'll have to shift pretty quickly to do this.

Do not give it 100% gas as that might tell the computer to enrichen the fuel mixture.

Contrary to common beliefs, higher throttle opening isn't bad for fuel economy, but letting it rev high in each gear is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #42
StuBei
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22804
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 StuBei Good Standing Member
I have a 5 speed ZX5 - with no mods (yet) with 79,000 kms
I'm getting 35-38 mpg (UK/Cdn gallon) (28 - 32 mpg (US gal)) on mixed driving. I put about 90 km (55 miles) a day with about 60% being highway 90-110 kph (55-70 mph)
I'm on my 4th tank and I decided to shut the engine off at red lights to see if it would make any difference. I'm at 375 km (230 miles) at half a tank. I am hoping the second half will be as good. I usually get about 510 kms ( 316 miles) before filling up.
I hope to take a few trips into the mountains to see how it compared to my old car. I had a 1993 Olds 98 with a 3.8l and I got 6.9 litres/100 km (about 40 mpg UK/Cdn) on a 300 km trip from Calgary to Jasper. (the car was a tank, but highway mileage was Great!)
If you have ever drive highway 93 through the Rocky Mountains in Alberta, Canada you'll know its a great winding road through some of the best scenery in the world (IMO). I looking forward to taking my Focus through it - with a standard gearbox instead of my old GM slush-box.

BTW - I have always driven conservatively - shifting between 2500 and 3000 rpm; 3500 max on hills. the car has more than enuf low end torque, especially if you're not a a real hurry to get to the next red light!

Anyway, I'm new to the Focus world and to this site. I'm really enjoying the posts - both for the information and the 'entertainment' - thanks

Last edited by StuBei; 05-24-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #43
StoneRyno
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21543
What I Drive: 2005 sangria red zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 1 StoneRyno Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by itsme
my recent fill up:
2003 ZX3
34mpg, 160miles on freeway cruising at 65mph, (me + 2 passengers in car)

Technique I use:
get it rolling in 1st, then immediately into 2nd
50-75% gas, shift into 3rd around 3,000RPM
give 75% gas, then shift into 4th around 2800
give 75% gas, then shift into 5th around 2800

You'll have to shift pretty quickly to do this.

Do not give it 100% gas as that might tell the computer to enrichen the fuel mixture.

Contrary to common beliefs, higher throttle opening isn't bad for fuel economy, but letting it rev high in each gear is.
I'm not sure how much I'm pressing down on the gas petal, probably about 50%. I'm in 1st for only a couple seconds as it shoots up to 3000 rpms real quick. 2nd to 3rd is also pretty quick to 3000 rpms maybe like about 5 seconds at most? 3rd to 4th probably about the same time to 3000 rpms. At this point if I'm holding steady at 35mph+ I'll shift up to 5th. If I'm accellerating for speeds above 40mpg I'll wait to shift to 5th at 45mph+. I don't know as of yet if shifting pattern has any effect on mpg. This tank is close to fillup time. I may have 1mpg gain on this tank by guesstimation based on the gas gauge possion and the miles on the tank. Then again as someone pointed out that mpg can go up with a brand new car. I assume this may have something to do with breaking in the engine?

On thing I noticed and I don't know why it does this. When I start the car after it has been sitting for a long time like over night or after work and the car hasn't been running for a good 4 hours or more, the engine starts off idling at close to 2000 rpms. After a couple minutes of driving and get stuck at my 1st stop light it idles at 750 rpms.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #44
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by StoneRyno
I'm not sure how much I'm pressing down on the gas petal, probably about 50%. I'm in 1st for only a couple seconds as it shoots up to 3000 rpms real quick. 2nd to 3rd is also pretty quick to 3000 rpms maybe like about 5 seconds at most? 3rd to 4th probably about the same time to 3000 rpms. At this point if I'm holding steady at 35mph+ I'll shift up to 5th. If I'm accellerating for speeds above 40mpg I'll wait to shift to 5th at 45mph+. I don't know as of yet if shifting pattern has any effect on mpg. This tank is close to fillup time. I may have 1mpg gain on this tank by guesstimation based on the gas gauge possion and the miles on the tank. Then again as someone pointed out that mpg can go up with a brand new car. I assume this may have something to do with breaking in the engine?

I only use second to get the car rolling off from dead stop, then immediately shift into second. I gradually give gas in 2nd, then shift into 3rd and then, I switch over to 75% gas rule. If I recall correctly, manual says avoid driving hard and avoid very steady speed driving during break in period. If I were you, I would just use different shifting habit every time for the remainder of the break in period. (i.e. use 4th cruising at 50mph for a bit, use 5th the other time, etc.)

Quote:
On thing I noticed and I don't know why it does this. When I start the car after it has been sitting for a long time like over night or after work and the car hasn't been running for a good 4 hours or more, the engine starts off idling at close to 2000 rpms. After a couple minutes of driving and get stuck at my 1st stop light it idles at 750 rpms.
Every car does this. Cold block doesn't allow gasoline to atomize good enough to sustain a stable idle at regular speed. So the computer automatically fast-idles until the engine block is sufficiently warm. Don't even think about driving hard during this warm up phase. Better yet, wait a few minutes after the coolant gauge reads normal temperature before giving it any spirited driving. Engine is made of metal and it expands and contracts with changing temperature. It's designed in such way that optimal clearance between parts are obtained at normal operating temperature. Such thing like burning out in a parking lot after a cold start to show off is incredibly bad for your engine.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #45
psychobiker02563
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17288
What I Drive: 2001 Jackpot Gold Metallic Ford Focus 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 psychobiker02563 Good Standing Member
I have gotten usally 24 mpg with a lead foot, mixed driving, and an atx. I think its worth it with the fun I have.
Disclaimer: All Ford employees, Ford dealerships and service personnel: This in no way constitutes an admission or acknowledgement of tampering, modification, or alteration of any vehicle in my possession in such a manner as to void, cancel, deny or otherwise refuse service on any service contracts, warrantees, or recall notices covering said vehicle. This and other posts submitted on this forum, under the screenname psychobiker02563 simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group espousing cars of a high performance nature - including those that have been altered to improve or enhance the automobile's natural characteristics.
---------------------------------------------------
Old 05-24-2005, 05:18 PM   #46
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
just an update im now through my second tank of gas, this time with a k&n drop in filter, mixed driving i averaged 29.4 miles per gallon.

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Old 05-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #47
zeteclover
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2167
What I Drive: 2000 SE with Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 zeteclover Good Standing Member
About 23 'round town. Up to 30 on the real long haul. Usually in the 25 range.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #48
03zx3hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23396
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03zx3hatch Good Standing Member
what is the exact size of the gas tank? (zx3) and how many miles have you got left when the gas light comes on?

96 VW Passat GLX
93 5.0 Mustang GT
88 Buick Skylark
Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #49
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
If you've got the Duratec in that 2003 I think the tank is 14.1 gallons, Zetec closer to 12 I believe. And the gas light goes on with roughly 2 gallons left.

But those aren't overly helpful in MPG calculation, what you want to do is reset your Tripmeter after you fill up, then next time you stop for gas, divide the tripmeter's mileage by the gallons you just put into the tank.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #50
StoneRyno
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21543
What I Drive: 2005 sangria red zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 1 StoneRyno Good Standing Member
Quote:
If I recall correctly, manual says avoid driving hard and avoid very steady speed driving during break in period. If I were you, I would just use different shifting habit every time for the remainder of the break in period. (i.e. use 4th cruising at 50mph for a bit, use 5th the other time, etc.)
Oh I hadn't thought of that. i thought it meant to just make sure not to keep the car at a contant speed for those miles. Example: don't drive like 65 mph for all or nearly all of it. I figured since to and from work was all city driving this was sufficient enough for the break in period.

Quote:
Every car does this. Cold block doesn't allow gasoline to atomize good enough to sustain a stable idle at regular speed. So the computer automatically fast-idles until the engine block is sufficiently warm. Don't even think about driving hard during this warm up phase. Better yet, wait a few minutes after the coolant gauge reads normal temperature before giving it any spirited driving. Engine is made of metal and it expands and contracts with changing temperature. It's designed in such way that optimal clearance between parts are obtained at normal operating temperature. Such thing like burning out in a parking lot after a cold start to show off is incredibly bad for your engine.
I guess i never really noticed my pervious cars idling higher at 1st startup. I guess having a gauge that shows rpms makes all the difference on what you notice. I've not done any hard driving in it yet. I did take it out on the freeway the other day and gave it a good 10 mile run at 70 mph. It'd be sweet to just flat out fly down the freeway but it just be my luck to get pulled over for speeding. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks